Substitute for Shakeology?

Options

Replies

• Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for more energy during your workouts try something like muscleworks define8, Jack3d or N.O Xplode. Then afterwards have a protein shake. B.S.C HydroxyCut Burn Pro is a good before and after workout supplement too. I think they're pretty similar to the 'Results and Recovery Formula' they advertise.

I just saw a news special about Jack3d: the stimulant called dimethylamylamine, or DMAA can cause heart attacks... I don't usually believe what I see on TV (hello Dr. Oz), but The New York Times also reported on it: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/14/business/death-after-use-of-jack3d-shows-gap-in-regulation.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

So, just, PLEASE be careful when taking any of these stimulants...

OP: I think if you eat lots and lots of veggies and maybe supplement with some protein powder you should be just fine. I've been making green smoothies lately and I'm feeling good. Start with some kind of leafy green like spinach or kale, add some fruit, maybe some protein powder if you need the extra protein, blend together to a delicious frothy brew and sip. I've started doing this at night and it is helping to prevent the night time munchies. Last night's smoothie had spinach, celery, strawberries, blueberries, a little avocado, protein powder, and coconut milk - it didn't look pretty, but it tasted good, I didn't taste the spinach, I could kind of taste the celery, but mostly I tasted the vanilla flavored protein powder and the berries. The best part is you can use frozen fruits! A pint of blueberries around me is about $5, a bag of frozen that will last a lot longer is about $2.50. Just make sure you control the portions - calories from fruit can really add up if you aren't careful.
  • cmstrang
    cmstrang Posts: 1
    Options
    Try looking here -> http://www.mealreplacementshakereviews.com/
    They've got a whole bunch of shakes rated based on nutrition, price, and hunger blockers. It doesn't seem to be too biased of a website but make sure you look at other sites that rate meal replacement shakes as well just in case!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    ty. I wasn't wanting it to help feel me up rather i read ppl say they get lots of energy and so forth on it. I am thinking about juicing as i also heard fresh juice gives you more energy.

Juice will give you energy for sure ....... sugar

Just eat properly and you will have plenty of energy. If you're tired all the time your calories may be too low ..... it's not "hunger" that tells you your calories are too low ..... it's feeling drained all the time.

Make your own protien shakes..... look for threads on protein shakes or protein powders.... add your own whole fruit for flavor.
  • Tessa17Epp
    Options
    Try Rockin' Body with Shaun T. it is really fun and super easy!! :happy:
  • leawheeler1
    leawheeler1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like Spirutein. It also has a lot of vitamins and minerals like Shakeology and it comes in tons of flavors. It is natural and non-GMO. It does contain soy (which kind of bums me out) but it's pretty similar. I did like the way Shakeology made me feel but I am in the same boat as you. With a family of 4, $120 a month is 20% of my monthly grocery budget. It's just too much. Way too much. I don't care what's in it or where it comes from. Give Spirutein a try - see what you think.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Wow...I'm surprised at the rude and sarcastic responses to the OP here. (Not all of the responses are rude and sarcastic, but the ones that were, took me aback!)

:huh:
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Besides real food and possibly a multi-vitamin? Not much.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    ty. I wasn't wanting it to help feel me up rather i read ppl say they get lots of energy and so forth on it. I am thinking about juicing as i also heard fresh juice gives you more energy.

Seriously... take a pre-natal vitamin or something... I started taking them even though not pregnant and it gave me a great energy boost.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Food, coffee and protein powder works pretty good for me. It helps me lose weight, gives me energy and high in protein to maintain my lean muscle mass.
  • Naybelline
    Naybelline Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I use juice plus, it's helped me a lot and gives me energy, coupled with a good diet and exercise.
  • JonnyQwest
    JonnyQwest Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I made the "mistake" of trying it because I got it cheap when I ordered it along with one of the workout programs....I say mistake because I liked it so much that I was hooked. So, that being said I became a "coach" for the discount only....so I get it for 90 a month. Once I took into consideration I could cut out the expensive liquid multivitamin and other various things I was taking that were already in Shakeology and also taking into consideration that it replaced the protein powder I was already buying it made it alot more affordable along with the coach discount. I wont try to sell people on it or anything else (I do pass on my discount to others if they want to buy something through me) because that is just not who I am but I do like the products......people get all bent out of shape because of the hard sell that coaches give on here (and I understand that) but the products are actually legit in my opinion. The funny thing is people get all crazy about spending 3 or 4 bucks (per day) for a meal replacement but they will gladly spend that or more on a latte from Starbucks or crap food from a drivethru.....funny.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Wow...I'm surprised at the rude and sarcastic responses to the OP here. (Not all of the responses are rude and sarcastic, but the ones that were, took me aback!)

:huh:
    It was their second post. Welcome to the internet. Blunt =/= to mean, rude, or sarcastic.

I'm looking forward to the mean people thread.
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I had tried Shakeolgy for the easy meal replacement aspect of it. ( I like a liquid breakfast in the morning )

What I like instead is this ::

Shaw's - Berry Medley Frozen Fruit, 1 cup

Quacker - Oatmeal,rolled Oats, 20 g

Dymatize Nutrition - Elite 100% Whey Protein - Gourmet Vanilla, 33.6 g

I change up the fruit combos, but pretty much anything tastes good with the vanilla.

I take B12 for more energy.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,916 Member
    Options
    I know this may sound crazy, but food is a good substitute....
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Is there anything similar to it that is less expensive?

Yes, virtually any food that doesn't come in powder form.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    There are those that call it "food." It can be found at these magical places known as "grocery stores."
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I think putting the your money in a blender would do basically the same thing, and you could control the price!
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I think you really don't need more than a good balanced diet. If you are eating diverse nutritious foods you really don't have a lot of gaps that need filling to give you more energy. Looking for supplements, juices, shakes, detoxes,and the like - they're all distractions. Look at your diary and see if there are specific gaps, like not enough protein, and then look to correct those gaps. Otherwise, the quest for special solutions is an unnecessary waste of time and money.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    seems to me that the biggest thing they advertise it for is that you get so many different nutrients.

if thats really what its all about then you should get about the same thing from a good multivitamen and mabye some kind of anti oxidant suppliment