What exercises for loosing belly?

Options
What exercises is the best for loosing belly like mine?

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce your belly fat.

To lose your belly, you need to adhere to a calorie deficit and be patient. Exercise will help produce the end result you want. Focus on strength training with compound lifts.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Fork put downs and plate push always. Srs!!!
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Fork put downs and plate push always. Srs!!!

Hahaha....I wanted to say running away from the fridge as cardio!

No, seriously... OP, what's your current fitness level, what are your interests, how much time can you free up per day for exercising? There are many video workouts available for free on youtube, no gym membership required. Some of my favorites are programs of Jillian Michaels. Also, check out bodybuilding.com for Jamie Eason's LiveFit Trainer!

Of course, as other posters have stated, no way anyone can spot-reduce those pesky fat pads...this would put a whole industry of fat burners out of business right there! A moderate calorie deficit will work, however. You wouldn't want to deprive your body suddenly of food, but rather take things slow and sustainable for a long time. Besides, if you give it a reasonable time to respond, any slightly stretched skin will have bounced back just fine, too, when you have reached your goal.

Many people will argue that they manage just fine by only reducing calories for weight/fat loss, but IMO, our bodies are very efficient in adapting to such restrictions, and adding exercise to the mission will most certainly keep up the burn!

Good luck!
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    What they all said, no point re hashing it. There's a reason they say abs are made in the kitchen.
  • ttcbelieve
    ttcbelieve Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    None,sorry. There are exercise for toning but not for weight loss
  • Cookingcolavita
    Cookingcolavita Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Nutrition is everything. The key to losing belly fat is proper nutrition (whole grains (1/2 cup of quinoa, couscous, brown rice), lots of vegetables and fruits, plain greek yogurt, skim milk, and lean proteins (4 or 5 ounce of skinless chicken breast or fish).

You need to eat right then move on to cardio exercises. The cardio (in the form of power walks, jogging, workout DVDs, treadmill, elliptical, biking etc) will burn the fat.

After burning the fat and losing it, you can move on to conditioning and strength exercises but first you need to eat better and do cardio.

Talk to your doctor about what cardio exercises are suggested depending on your cardiovascular health, stamina, and fitness level.

Good luck :smile:
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    Nutrition is everything. The key to losing belly fat is proper nutrition (whole grains (1/2 cup of quinoa, couscous, brown rice), lots of vegetables and fruits, plain greek yogurt, skim milk, and lean proteins (4 or 5 ounce of skinless chicken breast or fish).

You need to eat right then move on to cardio exercises. The cardio (in the form of power walks, jogging, workout DVDs, treadmill, elliptical, biking etc) will burn the fat.

After burning the fat and losing it, you can move on to conditioning and strength exercises but first you need to eat better and do cardio.

Talk to your doctor about what cardio exercises are suggested depending on your cardiovascular health, stamina, and fitness level.

This is one way, but by no means the only way. I lost 45# with out any cardio and instead did strength training 1hr 3x per week.
  • lilmiss_sunshine29
    lilmiss_sunshine29 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    bump
    Was there something you needed clarification on?
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I had to lose all of my fat to get my large beer gut to go away and it was the last to go. Eating at a deficit, running 25 miles a week, strength training, walking and radically changing the types of foods that I was eating. I found that I was losing during the week only to put some back on the weekends. When I made this lifestyle a 24/7 thing I had it whipped. With all that exercise I was able to eat about 2800 calories daily so I didn't feel like I was starving.
  • Cookingcolavita
    Cookingcolavita Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That's great for you! Yes, strength training is great but not everyone knows how to safely do strength exercises with proper posture and form while using dumbbells, kettlebells, and such so cardio is always the "easiest" and simplest of exercises to begin with before you get technical.

This is one way, but by no means the only way. I lost 45# with out any cardio and instead did strength training 1hr 3x per week.
  • iluv2sing1
    iluv2sing1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link to that topic!! Great advice!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    That's great for you! Yes, strength training is great but not everyone knows how to safely do strength exercises with proper posture and form while using dumbbells, kettlebells, and such so cardio is always the "easiest" and simplest of exercises to begin with before you get technical.

Yes, but you specifically state that you need to eat right and move to cardio and that this cardio will "burn the fat". And that the OP must do cardio before switching to strength.

That would be false as a necessity to weight loss. It's one way to do it, but it is not needed, nor needed prior to strength training. Many will advise strength training first to strengthen the body prior to the stress that cardio and put on the joints, muscles, etc...

Whole point, it was stated cardio is a necessity and needs to be done before starting strength when it's not.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Dinner table push-backs.
  • mrastaffordML
    Options
    First off I'd like to say the belly is the hardest part. I have been working out and on a good diet since January and I still struggle from a pooch. Also, its totaly normal to have a pooch of some sort. If your looking for abs, abs are made in the kitchen. I have asked around and seekd help from MFP members and a nutritionist and it boils down to diet and eating healthy. Secondly there are exercises to build up the core.... my favorites planks, leg raises, bicycle cruches and roll outs with an ab roller.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    OP deactivated. Guess the truth was too hard for that one.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Yep, agreed you need to have a calorie deficit through diet and exercise to lose the fat at the belly. You can do core workouts if you want so that when the fat is gone you have something nice underneath!

A lot of people recommend doing weight training while you're eating at a deficit to prevent muscle loss (without it, you may lose both muscle and fat and feel weak or look a little flimsy. Maybe. You might look fine though!)

If you decide to do core workouts, remember to work your back too - balance it out. But doing these will not help you lose fat specifically around your tummy. Where it comes off first has to do with genetics.

You can also do cardio for that extra calorie burn.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i've lost over 80 pounds, and my belly has lost the least inches of any body part. i do lots of ab work because i do like working them out, but as far as having strong abs goes, it doesn't change the look of my belly at all. i measured 46" below my waist on may 1, and i'm only 5' 3 1/2" - i've lost only 2 inches there, yet i've lost 6 inches off my waist, 8 around my chest at the bra line and my thighs have lost quite a bit, as well. the belly remains.