Asics?

Options
13»

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    In reference to Asics, I am the business manager for a podiatrist. He always recommends the Asics Gels. He has found over the years that they have the best cushioning for your feet. To many people buy shoes based on looks. You can get pretty good pricing if you shop around. I am a big guy and I wear them with powersteps inside. Those are a very good insert that you can look for. Also great cushioning and fantastic arch support

Which Asics gels?

Asics Gel Keyano? Asics Gel Nimbus? Asics Gel Cumulus? Asics Gel Lyte? Asics Gel Excel? ....see where i am going?
  • Ems500c
    Ems500c Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    That's exactly my problem.. They had 500 different styles. How am I supposed to know which one is better than another! I know he said gel but inside should be 45 or 55. Does anyone know what that stands for? It's like under the insole inside the shoe and it's hard to get out to check them all at the store??
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    That's exactly my problem.. They had 500 different styles. How am I supposed to know which one is better than another! I know he said gel but inside should be 45 or 55. Does anyone know what that stands for? It's like under the insole inside the shoe and it's hard to get out to check them all at the store??

usually the number refers to the model year.

For example, in 2014, Asics released the Gel Keyano 21, in 2013 Gel Keyano 20, in 2012, Gel Keyano 19. usually that is how it works out, but not always. I am not sure what you mean by the 45 or 55.

My suggestion is to get your gait analyzed and go from there. Do you have a known condition like plantar fasciitis or shin splints?
  • Ems500c
    Ems500c Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Nothing like that, just a bunion so my bone is growing sideways. It's not bad enough yet for surgery but bad enough that I need wide shoe's and something with support.

He 45 or 55 is inside under the insole. It's hard to get the insole out but I found out yesterday from him (my dad had a appointment) that the 45 or 55 stands for the amount of gel in the bottom? It's only in the more expensive ones (of course)
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    I got a pair of asics a couple of years ago and as a result learned what shin splints feel like. So I went to a runner store and got my gait analysed and different running shoes and have had no problem since. I reiterate what others have said - go to a good running store and get a gait analysis done.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    If you are getting in to walking/running it is well worth investing in good shoes. Go to a running store they can help you much better than a standard shoe store. If you don't have to have a specific color I've gotten some awesome running shoes that were on clearance for $25 they were an older version but some of the most comfortable shoes I have ever had. I have put well over 500 miles on them and still train in them. If you can get two pairs of shoes if you are going to be jogging on back to back days. It will increase the life of your shoes by not wearing the same pair daily.

29509743.png
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I have an unhealthy obsession with Asics Gel Lyte IIIs. All the colors of the rainbow.

so-cute.gif
  • AHealthyMe1lbAtATime
    AHealthyMe1lbAtATime Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have asics and have had the wrong asics and ended up with blisters all over my feet before... so if the foot doc says to get a certain style/model... I'd do it. He knows what he's talking about. I thought I was overpronating for years and soon as I put on a neutral shoe, now I'm fine:) Who knew!?!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I've been running in Asics shoes for the last 7 years (avg 40 to 60km /wk) and would not consider switching shoes (if it ain't broke....) however what works for me may not work for you.
  • LydiaShackelford
    LydiaShackelford Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Best. Shoes. Ever.
  • dlr165
    dlr165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Love all my asics. spend the $$$ if you are running you wont regret it even a tiny bit.

+1
    I have got the Asics Gel Nimbus 16 Women and I love them. I run 10k four times a week and they are the perfect shoe for me. I got my gait measured in the Running Room and while expensive they are worth it, at least for me. Ii had a knee injury two years ago and good shoes are a must for me.
    Stef.

+1
    Choke at the price but the Asics Gel Nimbus 16's are awesome! Totally worth every penny!
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Nothing like that, just a bunion so my bone is growing sideways. It's not bad enough yet for surgery but bad enough that I need wide shoe's and something with support.

He 45 or 55 is inside under the insole. It's hard to get the insole out but I found out yesterday from him (my dad had a appointment) that the 45 or 55 stands for the amount of gel in the bottom? It's only in the more expensive ones (of course)

The ASICS Gel Keyano is their highest stability shoe (most gel). I got mine (Keyano 19's after the 20's came out) last December at Burlington Coat factory for like 60 bucks. They normally run 140-180 bucks. So I got them on a steal but very lucky. They were the first ones I had to retire. I wish you luck.

BTW, I found this link you may be of interest to you.
    http://www.runningshoesguru.com/2013/11/understanding-the-asics-running-shoes-lineup/
  • larrewl
    larrewl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm running on my second pair of Asics Gel GT-2000 2 after about 330 miles on my first. I have a "normal" running style, only slightly over-pronating. I've tried other excellent brands (New Balance, Nike, and Saucony) but like my current Asic running shoes the most as they're light, the most comfortable (and firm cushioning) to me. The best shoe for you depends on your running style and personal preference. Enjoy! :smile:
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    Options
    i wear gel kayano 20's as the fit and support is just right for me. But they could be awful for someone else.
    Big fan of the kayano range.

My love for the Kayano knows no bounds!
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I used to buy Kayanos as well and they were great shoes. I have however gone to buying the cheaper ones after reading an article on Runners World about how people who spend more money on shoes actually have a higher rate of injuries. I talked with my trainer about this and he thinks it's because they probably run more as well. I don't know if that is true or not, but I can't tell the difference between the kayanos and the similar versions that are much cheaper. I do stick to Asics though.

One of the determiners of a shoe’s price in a particular brands lineup is the amount of technology built into them, including tech to correct biomechanical problems. The more expensive shoes often include Motion Control and Support shoes. So there are three types of people buying the more expensive shoes that could be inflating the injury rate:
    1) People that run a lot because it does not matter how much you paid for your shoes you are still hitting the pavement with a force that is five times your weight. Some people simply exceed their body’s ability to recuperate between running sessions.
    2) People that need a corrective shoe because they have a biomechanical problem and are therefore more likely to have running related injuries.
    3) People that buy them because they think more expensive is better. and if they buy a shoe meant to correct a problem that they do not have, then that could eventually leads to an injury. The only thing worse than spending a lot of money on a pair of shoes, is buying the wrong kind and developing an injury due to improperly augmented biomechanics.

There is nothing wrong with buying expensive shoes. You just need to make sure you buy the right ones for your feet.
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Your foot doctor telling you to get a pair of Asics and to check the insole to make sure it says 45 or 55 is like a mechanic telling you to buy a Ford and make sure that the tire says 16 or 17. You are going to spend a lot of time crawling around on the ground at the dealership trying to figure out what the 16 or 17 is and which vehicles have it. You go back to your mechanic and ask what is the 16 or 17 and he tells you it is the rim size. We all pick our vehicles by rim size, right. No, when we go car shopping we either know exactly what we want (ex. a Ford Escape) or we know a category (ex. SUV).
    In this case what you need to know is what category of shoes you need to be looking at (Motion Control, Neutral, Cushioning, or Support) and/or how much you pronate. Asics makes a lot of different types of shoes that fall into different categories. Just like Ford makes different vehicles that fall into different categories (pickup, suv, compact, midsize, sport). You don’t want to waste your time looking at compact cars when you need a pickup.

Here is a list compiled by the American Academy of Podiatric Sports Medicine that groups the shoes of several Brands into the different categories.
    http://www.aapsm.org/runshoe-print.html

A couple things to be aware of: 1) the categories are based on the manufacture’s categories so they do not always match the traditional categories, 2) the list was last updated in Nov 2012 so some of the shoes may have been discontinued and the specific model numbers listed may no longer be available, but the current year’s model will be in the same category.

Many of the manufacturers’ websites and many of the better shoe seller websites allow for filtering the shoe list by foot pronation.

While your doctor may rave about Asics, you need to find the best pair of shoes for your feet. If you are going to use them for running then you should retire them after 300 to 500 miles of running. If they are still comfortable when you retire them, then buy another pair.