Going to New York, any good suggestions??

Options
Nicola0000
Nicola0000 Posts: 535 Member
Im going to New York in November. Does anyone have any good suggestions for restaurants/ places to go out/ good places to visit?? So excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smile:

Replies

• Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    bump
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to try places outside of Manhattan. Hotels are cheaper as well.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Well it depends on where in NY... I'm in NY but I'm in Upstate/Western NY and there's nothing but corn fields and trees!
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I love NYC. I'm a Broadway baby. :D That being said last time I went I didn't get to try many of the restaurants or anything (yay being poor LOL).
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Well it depends on where in NY... I'm in NY but I'm in Upstate/Western NY and there's nothing but corn fields and trees!

I used to live in Syracuse and it was fantastic. Miss that place so much!
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you like. There is every restaurant in the world available. I like the Brazilian BBQ but that is a personal preference. Several good places in the Theater district. Also some really good ones in Brooklyn. As for sightseeing aaccck
    Times Square, Staten Island ferry...some of the stuff you will see as you run the Marathon (assuming that is why you are coming?) Bronx Zoo is worth it and then the Cathedrals and Museums near Central Park. Of Broadway plays can be funnier and are definitely more intimate then the Broadway theaters.
  • Pixydin
    Pixydin Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi, the last time I was in NY we went to the Tenement Museum---it was great!! Food can be pricey---
  • AdiabaticPerformance
    AdiabaticPerformance Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    oh my yes, I grew up there, message me
  • livetoride2112
    Options
    Food, Midtown - Tony's De Napoli off of Times Square. Downtown - Thai Angel just off of Chinatown, Lower East Side - Katz's Deli of When Harry Met Sally fame. Places to go, FAO Schwarz, Stanton Island Ferry - great view of the Statue of Liberty and it's free. Some great clubs in the Greenwich Village area. I highly recommend the boat tour at night. It goes from Hell's Kitchen to around the UN building and back. It's great to see the city lit up at night. Museums - MoMA and the Met. Walk the town, take the subway. It's easy to get around and you'll find more interesting things than you would driving or in a cab.
  • LuckyJanise
    Options
    YES M'AM. INDULGE IN PASTRAMI ON MARBLE RYE FROM ANY GOOD JEWISH DELI. EAT POTATOE SALAD. I HAD THE BEST FRENCH ONION SOUP WITH THICK CHEESE ON TOP IN SOME SMALL PLACE WHEN I VISITED MANHATTAN.
    A FRIEND TOOK ME TO SARDI'S NEAR BROADWAY--KNOWN FOR PICTURES OF CELEBS ON THE WALL. NOW IN TEXAS,
    FROM LONG ISLAND, I SURE REMEMBER THE GREAT LONG ISLAND BAKED CLAMS, GOOD PIZZAS AND EGG CREAMS. FROM THE DELIS. :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • _BlueGreyGreen_
    _BlueGreyGreen_ Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Stay away fromTimes Square and nearby eateries. All crap. Go to Chowhound.com. As a former chef in NYC. All the good places are either uptown or downtown.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    YES M'AM. INDULGE IN PASTRAMI ON MARBLE RYE FROM ANY GOOD JEWISH DELI. EAT POTATOE SALAD. I HAD THE BEST FRENCH ONION SOUP WITH THICK CHEESE ON TOP IN SOME SMALL PLACE WHEN I VISITED MANHATTAN.
    A FRIEND TOOK ME TO SARDI'S NEAR BROADWAY--KNOWN FOR PICTURES OF CELEBS ON THE WALL. NOW IN TEXAS,
    FROM LONG ISLAND, I SURE REMEMBER THE GREAT LONG ISLAND BAKED CLAMS, GOOD PIZZAS AND EGG CREAMS. FROM THE DELIS. :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou:

2kbJv.jpg
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Food Trucks/Carts
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    oh my yes, I grew up there, message me

mmhm.gif
  • Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,470 Member
    Options
    Went to see family there last year and loved it. No particular recommendations it's all good! Including Times Square! Don't understand why anybody would say stay away!?!

My only tip is the subway goes EVERYWHERE so if your staying more than 3 days get the subway pass...you'll be surprised how much you use it.

Also, don't understand all these tips for seeing the Statue of Liberty for free. Pay for the trip and get your camera out... it's worth it. (although we didn't bother going up inside it)

Have a great time!
  • Ump78
    Ump78 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Yankee stadium is AWESOME!

Leave your firearms at home

If you hate traffic jams, get over it. It's AWFUL

Keep your wallet in you front pocket

Eat street food

Talk to strangers. They're quite friendly.

Enjoy your trip!