A portioning tip for homemade bread

Options
Hobartlemagne
Hobartlemagne Posts: 277 Member
I thought I'd pass on a discovery that has helped with the calorie counting.
I bake bread every week, since toast is our preferred breakfast.
I've started using a Pullman pan to make standard 4"x4" slices.
(A Pullman bread pan has a slide-on lid that makes the bread flat on the top)
I enter in the ingredients into the recipe calculator, then divide by 16 since it is
really east to cut the loaf into 16 equal thickness pieces. This way, each slice in
the whole loaf is about the same calories.

Replies

• ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I thought I'd pass on a discovery that has helped with the calorie counting.
    I bake bread every week, since toast is our preferred breakfast.
    I've started using a Pullman pan to make standard 4"x4" slices.
    (A Pullman bread pan has a slide-on lid that makes the bread flat on the top)
    I enter in the ingredients into the recipe calculator, then divide by 16 since it is
    really east to cut the loaf into 16 equal thickness pieces. This way, each slice in
    the whole loaf is about the same calories.

Recipe please.....
  • laurenjill
    laurenjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Or you could just use a food scale to weigh the entire loaf when it's done baking, enter the total amount of grams/ounces in the recipe calculator, and weigh each slice. Sometimes I just don't want an entire slice of bread, but sometimes, I want ALL THE BREAD.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Or you could just use a food scale to weigh the entire loaf when it's done baking, enter the total amount of grams/ounces in the recipe calculator, and weigh each slice. Sometimes I just don't want an entire slice of bread, but sometimes, I want ALL THE BREAD.

I was going to post this too (minus the eating part, being GF means I'm too lazy to try making decent bread. But other baked goods??? MMM).

Just be sure you weigh the loaf once it is at room temperature, as it will continue to change in weight as it cools down.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Options
    http://pullmanpanbread.blogspot.com/

Im starting to record my bread recipes on this blog. The first one is a delicious Honey Wheat Beer Bread.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I make homemade bread too. Use the scale, it's the easiest and most accurate way and then it doesn't matter how thin or thick you slice the loaf. I prefer thin slice and the rest of the family like thicker slices.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Options
    I just put up a light wheat bread recipe on the blog. I'm not planning to add every day, I just started yesterday with my only memorized recipe and today with the latest loaf I made. Ill put a picture of a slice with each future recipe as I make and post them.
  • deniseslim2015
    Options
    Never heard of a Pullman Pan before, so I looked it up on Amazon. Nice to see the manufacturer is based in Pittsburgh, PA.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Nthing the scale suggestion. That's the way to log accurately.