Stronglifts

Options
Hello everyone. I'm very new to lifting and was just wondering if heart rate monitors were relevant for lifting. Thanks

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    No, they use an algorithm for cardio, not lifting.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert but for a while I was doing a cycle where I did lifting and cardio and I did wear a heartrate monitor, I found it pretty acurate. I don't know about you but my heart rate goes up when I lift..especially if I am lifting heavy. Just my 2 cents....good luck :-)
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    It's really not going to be accurate at all while lifting. Especially since lifting will increase your calorie burn for hours after you're done as well. I'd only use it for cardio
  • fit4me27
    fit4me27 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Okay. Thank you for your replies. I know that you're supposed to keep your heart rate up between sets, just thought it might have been helpful to know if I let myself rest too long. Thanks again. :-)
  • mrastaffordML
    Options
    I use the Polat FT4 and I find it very accurate during both my cardio and strength training sessions. I highly reccomend it.
  • mrastaffordML
    Options
    I am not an expert but for a while I was doing a cycle where I did lifting and cardio and I did wear a heartrate monitor, I found it pretty acurate. I don't know about you but my heart rate goes up when I lift..especially if I am lifting heavy. Just my 2 cents....good luck :-)

I agree! My heart rate goes up while lifting too. I stay at 120-150.
  • fit4me27
    fit4me27 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Also, since you have the Ft4, have you ever used it for swimming?