Calories and Juicing

Options
I have had a juicer for a year now, but haven't used it in a couple of months because I couldn't figure out how to calculate the calories. I saw a previous post about multiplying fiber by four and then subtracting that from the calorie count... but I found this website tonight that does all of the math for you to figure out nutrition! I'm so excited--check it out :)

http://juicerecipes.com/build/

Replies

• Chaotic_Weevil
    Chaotic_Weevil Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    ...why wouldn't you just add up all the calories in the individual components of the juice?
  • iamladygusta
    Options
    Something I read said to add up everything and then take the fiber times 4 and subtract it from the total. Instead of messing with all the manual calculations this is easier... for me at least. I don't like math. :)
  • Chaotic_Weevil
    Chaotic_Weevil Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Fair enough
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I think it's difficult with juicing because most of the fruit & fibre is left behind in the filter-skin, seeds, pulp etc. No point logging the whole fruit in that case, because you're not getting all of it. You can probably try juicing things individually and taking the amounts, logging those individually in mfp. Then if you come up with a combo you like, add it to recipe box with the exact amounts of juice of each fruit or veg etc.
    Like e.g, do oranges for orange juice 100ml, put aside in a container. Then juice your apples, get 100ml, and add it with the other juice. And log them individually.
    Smoothies are way better. I usually log all the different ingredients, and if I make one I particularly like I add it to my recipe box and it's easy to log.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    i totally clicked on this from the sidebar thinking it would be in the gaining weight forum and using a juicer would not be the subject...
  • iamladygusta
    Options

Smoothies are way better. I usually log all the different ingredients, and if I make one I particularly like I add it to my recipe box and it's easy to log.

Hmmmm... You're right--Smoothies are better. If I do a smoothie I'd still get to keep the fiber count (My minimum is 25 a day). Thanks for the help :)
  • iamladygusta
    Options
    i totally clicked on this from the sidebar thinking it would be in the gaining weight forum and using a juicer would not be the subject...

Hahaha. Took me a little while to figure out what you meant.... I'm slow tonight.