Question for the women out there...

Options
How do you handle PMS cravings? That is just a miserable time for me. I am fine for the rest of the month, but my PMS cravings are often so bad that I feel like binge eating all day. I managed to get through it this last month fairly unscathed, but boy was I cranky, lol. I am literally constantly stomach growling hungry no matter what I eat during that week. Any suggestions, tips, tricks?? Or at least sympathetic "I feel your pain" pats on the back. :smile:

Replies

• elephant2mouse
    elephant2mouse Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate.
  • erulasse
    erulasse Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jelly.
    I go through soo much on my craving days and it's only around 10 calories a pot.
  • wissabear
    wissabear Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    A little extra working out to offset those pitfalls!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You could eat at your maintenance calories level for a few days that week.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Lots and lots of protein, fruit and salads with a low calorie dressing. I get terrible sugar cravings, sometimes I want gummi bears and more often I crave chocolate/ice cream. I let myself have some treats if my goals allow for it, but they don't always, so I try to fill up on other things to minimize it. No fancy tricks really, just do my best every time.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I say this all the time, but...

I always knew I craved extra food (especially carbs) before my period.

When I started paying attention to hunger cues and eating when hungry, I noticed that at the end or just after the period, there were also a couple days where I needed almost no food...and it always seems like when I have to eat, I choose protein stuff.

If I want extra food before, I don't sweat it. There will be days after where it becomes a wash. It all works out in the end. :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Lots and lots of protein, fruit and salads with a low calorie dressing. I get terrible sugar cravings, sometimes I want gummi bears and more often I crave chocolate/ice cream. I let myself have some treats if my goals allow for it, but they don't always, so I try to fill up on other things to minimize it. No fancy tricks really, just do my best every time.
    OMG, other than carbs, that's what I always wanted, too! Ice cream and gummies!

Bizarre.
  • kaliedoskope
    kaliedoskope Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have trouble being extra hungry about a week before my period. Lately I have been satisfying my salty cravings with flavored seaweed sheets. For my sweet cravings I have been eating Justin's Organic Dark Chocolate 80 calorie peanut butter cups.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Same way I deal with all my cravings. Knowing better and staying in control. Telling myself "But why do you think you need this?" and figuring out "Right, it's a craving, but not a need." It's really not that bad.

You could budget one day that you can eat a bit more - however, save these calories from the rest of the week (say 50 a day) so you can have a 300 calorie treat.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Haha you can't even say the WORD salad to me when I'm pmsing. I'll straight up kill you.

I buy sugar free chocolate pudding, make it with skim milk and eat, like, half of the container. I can't remember exactly how many calories (am on b/c now), but it's definitely the lesser of two evils (about 300 cals vs. a whole family-sized bar of chocolate) and it's a big enough serving that it takes time to eat, and my belly registers as full and satisfied.

Hope this helps!
  • sdelo7
    sdelo7 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Carbs is what I crave! Bagel, crusty bread, yum. I try to indulge - a little - because if i deprive myself completely or feel too hungry I will never keep this up.
    Crazy how different that time of the month gets!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Exercise!
    Not only does it help with the cramps and uncomfortable-ness, but it's also a good excuse for an extra square of chocolate or extra scoop of ice cream. :)
  • ashleyb34
    ashleyb34 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I too was having that problem. I crave chocolate so bad. At the grocery store I found weight watchers had some great little treats. Triple chocolate brownie bliss, peanut butter chocolate brownie bliss and many little cakes. Also a low fat frozen yogurt bar has been doing the trick as well.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I eat a big plate of pasta and take advantage of the carb load for an extra long run.
  • purplishblue
    purplishblue Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I hear that. My problem is that I don't crave specific foods, I just am soooo hungry! It's like my stomach turns into a black hole. Normally I'm used to eating a dieting amount and am ok with it, but it's really hard for me to stay within my caloric range the week before. Still haven't quite figured out a way to remedy this.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I have a bunch of strategies, but recently I decided there's not really anything wrong with indulging the PMS cravings for me, in moderation. I was like you know what? I'm always so good, never over my calories and I did it-got a chocolate bar and a bag of lollies. And the next day, my weight wasn't even up. Things probably evened themselves out over the week, I'm pretty active.
    It felt good and I might let myself do it once a month :)

Some of my strategies anyway:

-Make sure you wont need to go to the shops or supermarket, make sure you've got anything you need. I find if I go to the shops for something, that is the time I will be most likely to buy crap.
    -Magnesium supplements-removed pms moodiness and reduced cramps.
    -Raw cacao hot chocolate/raw cacao in a smoothie. For cramps, mood, and chocolate cravings-better antioxidants than dark chocolate.
    -Prepare easy to grab healthy snacks. Popcorn, nuts, fruit salad, sugar free diet jelly, someone already said it but hey it was my idea already :P
    -If it's not too uncomfortable, try and get in some exercise. Even an hour walk in the morning will burn a few hundred calories and reduce stressing about it if you do binge a little. May also help with the mood.
  • ashleyb34
    ashleyb34 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I hear that. My problem is that I don't crave specific foods, I just am soooo hungry! It's like my stomach turns into a black hole. Normally I'm used to eating a dieting amount and am ok with it, but it's really hard for me to stay within my caloric range the week before. Still haven't quite figured out a way to remedy this.

what about snacking on air popped popcorn you can eat tons and it is very low cal( you can even add a little bit of coconut oil)
  • osteological
    osteological Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've had some success with drinking 'desserty' flavoured teas instead of pigging out on junk food. David's Tea (Canada) has a lot of really yummy ones, and they're usually between 0-10 calories.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the tips everyone. :) I think my biggest problem is that I try to eat just like I do for the rest of the month...not happening. At least not with some serious crankiness involved. Might just try cutting myself a bit of slack (but not too much). Thanks for all the snack ideas, too. Several chocolate ideas. That's a big one for me. Last month I was taking just little peices of dark chocolate and dipping them in some natural peanut butter. That did help a little and was REALLY good, but I may try some of your snack ideas as well just to get some variety.