What's the dealio on diet soda?

Options
What's your opinion? Do you drink it? How much? And has it affected your weight loss? I have been reading some articles on it and I am curious!

Replies

• lordofultima
    Options
    I drank about 40oz. of diet cherry pepsi every day for the last 8 months. No affect on weight loss or fat loss. I've been cutting back as it's the new year and I need to wane off the stimulants. Aspartame has been said to do things to your metabolism but from my experience all you'll get is a little bloated because of the excessive carbonation. Take it easy on 'em.
  • blakjac6
    Options
    I don't drink it. I drink water. Drinking diet soda instead of regular soda cuts out alot of calories, BUT all the artificial sugar actually slows the metabolism. I advise drinking it instead of regular soda if you crave soda; otherwise, water is the way to go!
  • amycrims
    Options
    There can be a lot of sodium in it which can dehydrate you- or make you bloated. I personally don't care. I allow myself 1 can a day. If I'm within my calorie limit and makes me feel more full and satisfied, why not?
  • theatr3geek
    Options
    I drink one diet soda a day, usually. No affect on weight loss and I love it!
  • littlelioness
    Options
    It is my life source from Mother Nature lol...but really, I used to drink 2 liter bottles of it PER DAY
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I refuse to drink the stuff. There's not a single redeeming value to putting it into your body and plenty of reasons why you shouldn't. It doesn't even really quench thirst, since the sticky artificial sweetners just make you more thirsty anyway.

Ultimately it's just sticky, carbonated, liquid chemicals. I just drink water about 99% of the time. Every now and again I'll have some fresh brewed iced tea and even less frequently (once or twice a year) I splurge and indulge in one can of my all-time favorite soda, Cherry RC Cola.
  • pieconspiracy
    Options
    I don't personally drink it, but I know a few people that say once they cut it out of their diet, they started losing more weight. Sure, it has no calories, but soda really has no benefits to it health-wise. Why drink soda, when you can have something better for you instead? It's the same idea as eating a piece of chocolate instead of fruit. Even if it's sugar-reduced chocolate, it's still chocolate.
    I had my first can of soda in weeks the other day, as a treat, and it tasted incredibly sweet, and the bubbles burned my tongue. =O
  • sciencediver1
    Options
    All artificial sweetners elevate your insulin levels as the pancreas is fooled by them. They don't have the calorie or carbohydrates of regular sodas but elevated insulin levels will promote fat storage, as after all, insulin is the fat storage hormone. If you are young and have a fast metabolism and really stick to your diet, it may only slightly impeed your goal. If you are prone to weight gain and tend to cheat, it will elevate your insulin level and promote excess fat storage. Don't do it. Or if you can't be without it, stick to 1 or less a day.
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I love love love Diet Dr. Pepper... that being said....
    I was drinking 1 to 3 cans or diet soda a day, while eating healthy and running/exercising as per programs. I lost weight but very, very slowly. ie; 0.2 to 0.5 pounds per week.
    I cut out diet pop (accidently) for about two weeks and noticed the pounds started melting off!
    I wondered if the two were connected and saw an episode of Dr. Oz relating to it. He spoke of the way your body reacts when it thinks it's getting sugar when it's not.
    The other things I noticed... I no longer crave pop all the time! Weird right?
    So, now, when I do have a pop I have the full sugar version. And that's a treat once or twice a month.
    I no longer crave pop and can stay away from it even though my hubby always has it in the house!
    I know, it's weird!
  • asj0901
    asj0901 Posts: 141
    Options
    I use diet soda sparingly. Aspertame is not good for you! The only time I ever drink it anymore is when I am pulling an all nighter at work (for caffiene) and just have to so I can make it through the night. Any stimulant is going to mess with your metabolism . Check out the website www.healthyplateprogram.com and read the information on caffeine I reccomend it if you have any questions on stimulants such as caffiene. There is also a great book called "type 2 diabetes and adrenal gland disease" by Marsha Roper. Its very good and really explains why caffiene is so damaging to you body. Like I said I can't say I never do have diet soda, however since I stopped drinking it I have retained less water (which means weight loss) and I feel better. I would only use it sparingly and try to get away from it all together. Drink tea, h2o, or my favorite is ZEVIA it is a soda sold at Whole Foods and some supermarkets sweetened with stevia and it has no chemical crap like aspartame and no calories. The orange soda is awesome and so is the "Dr. Zevia" you may try that. I can only get those if I am willing to drive an hour to the closest whole foods. I hope this helps
  • amysambora
    Options
    I refuse to drink the stuff. There's not a single redeeming value to putting it into your body and plenty of reasons why you shouldn't. It doesn't even really quench thirst, since the sticky artificial sweetners just make you more thirsty anyway.

THIS!!!!

All the artificial sweeteners and chemicals are so bad for your body! We were not made to ingest that sort of stuff! From a health perspective, you're making your body work so much harder to get all that crap out of your system. From a weight loss perspective, it can stall your weight loss. When your body received the artificial sweeteners, it thinks it's getting real sugar and the pancreas starts producing insulin...but the sugar isn't actually there, promoting both fat storage AND further sugar cravings as your body is crying out "Where is this sugar I thought you were giving me?!" lol.
  • asj0901
    asj0901 Posts: 141
    Options
    All artificial sweetners elevate your insulin levels as the pancreas is fooled by them. They don't have the calorie or carbohydrates of regular sodas but elevated insulin levels will promote fat storage, as after all, insulin is the fat storage hormone. If you are young and have a fast metabolism and really stick to your diet, it may only slightly impeed your goal. If you are prone to weight gain and tend to cheat, it will elevate your insulin level and promote excess fat storage. Don't do it. Or if you can't be without it, stick to 1 or less a day.

EXCELLENT and ACCURATE info! way to go.
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options

Exactly.

I drink water. Sometimes organic whole milk. Mostly water.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options

Seriously this. There is nothing good about it and plenty wrong.
    If (and that's a big if) I drink soft drinks (soda), I'll drink the normal version and work it off.
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is no better then regular soda. I never drink it. I hate it. I drink nothing but water. Sometimes Gatorade.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I love Diet Mountain Dew. So far, I am not even CONSIDERING giving it up. I am making all the change I can stand right now. Maybe at some point I will want to try cutting back on the diet Dew, but not right now. It makes me happy. I figure, at least I dont smoke, drink (almost never) or do drugs. At least Diet Dew is a legal addiction. :drinker:
  • ChristaS
    ChristaS Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Most of the weight I've lost was done while drinking a lot of Diet Pepsi. I'm cutting down on it right now just because I would rather put more natural things in my body. I've noticed that after a few days of not drinking it when I do have it I get really bloated but its still not effecting my actual weight loss.
  • Meeko1971
    Options
    I have cut back to one can of diet coke a day... (I'm working on getting rid of the one) and have noticed that I've lost some bloating, but no weight. I think it's the sodium and carbonation that can cause some issue.

The added bonus, by not drinking diet cokes, I'm drinking more water, which will help me lose weight
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I also have read that the caffeine binds to the fatty cells and slows the breaking down of the fat. But was also informed by a Dr. friend of mine that as long as you drink as much or more water, crystal light it will not slow down your weight loss. I pick up a 44 oz DDP every morning from Sonic and sip on it thru out the day, rarely finish it. I have 4 bottles of water and 4 bottles of crystal light at my desk for drinking and I am contining to loose.. If I stop losing that will be the first thing I let go....Good Luck...
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    It's supposed to make it harder to lose weight because of the chemicals in it. I think that's why drinking it is frowned upon. I used to drink 4-5 diet sodas a day. Now I have 2. I still lose the weight. I'm not willing to give up my daily treat even though I know it would be better for me if I did.