Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Runners knee- patellafemoral pain syndrome help

Hi everyone

I've had runners knee for over 4 months now, I've missed all my races I'd entered at the start of the season and it's just not getting any better. I also have lower back pain which I'm doing Pilates for each week. I've recently taken up swimming which I'm enjoying but my knee hurts on the elliptical and rowing machines so now all my key cardio things in the gym are out, it even hurts after walking short distances on the treadmill. I'm doing weights exercises on the gym ball to support my back but I just don't feel my workouts are challenging me. I'm so frustrated!

Has anyone had runners knee before and, if so, how long did it take to get better and what did you do to make it better and what exercising did you do whilst it was getting better?

Thank you xxx

Replies

• rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Re. the knee - have you tried a foam roller on the IT band?

My lower back issues were caused by hip tightness (apparently running after sitting at a desk all day isn't ideal!), so you might want to try stretching out that area. Its also possible that your abs aren't strong enough. Or it may be the back itself. It depends, but these are a few things to consider.
  • I had the same issue but caused by cycling. 3 trips to the physio and a foam roller and everything is much better. I had a very tight IT band and by loosing it up the pain went away. Good Luck
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    It likely won't go away by itself. PFS comes in different shapes and sizes, and this sounds like a more serious case. You really need to start from step one. Find a doc who has experience with running injuries and get a referral to a physical therapist with the same background.

There are exercises you can do, but first the inflammation has to be treated. They also need to look at your biomechanics to determine if there is/are structural issues contributing to the pain. There are things you can do to address the problem and strengthen your quads, but it sounds like you need professional direction at this point.
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    I first had this when I was a teenager 20 years ago. I Have very flat feet, and apparently this caused things to rub and not line up properly. I did physio a couple times a week, had those electrode things put on the area, had to buy expensive orthotics, and bought better quality shoes.
    It still bothers me occasionally these days, but I know better now to wear good shoes etc.
    I apologize for my fancy terminology, it was so long ago, I cant remember the exact details lol
  • mf0u1098
    mf0u1098 Posts: 61 Member
    Thank you all for your relies. I think there are a few underlying causes: hips are slightly tilted, knees face slightly inwards, very tight hamstrings and calf muscles and weak core muscles. I'm doing pilates to address some of these but I think it's time to see a physio. I went to a podiatrist when it first started and got orthotics and had deep tissue massages to loosen my hamstrings but it's obviously not been enough. It's so frustrating not being able to exercise properly!