Finding motivation with a thyroid that gives me no energy!

Options
doosht
doosht Posts: 11 Member
Wondered if anyone else is in the same boat as myself? I have an under-active thyroid which was diagnosed several years ago. I take tablets for it but i've never really noticed any difference in my energy levels. My brain would love to exercise but the legs and body say not. Im not overweight (yet!) but as i have now just hit 43 i think that unless i start to do something the weight may start to pile on making things even more difficult.

Any advice appreciated.

Replies

• joycepenman
    joycepenman Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    hi i have an under active thyroid as well and am finding it hard to stay motivated ....i am so tired all the time
    tablets are not stabilised as yet ....my legs were so tired today i could hardly walk ....
    i am trying to lose weight as it has crept on because of my thyroid doc says it will creep on till they get my tablets stabilised
    so know how you feel....there are posts in the forum of other people with thyroid problems ....wishing you luck
  • lqichick
    lqichick Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Yeah hypo T sucks. All Dr's seem to think a T 4 value that is just with-in the low end of the range is Normal for all people.

I have no pituitary function and hypo t is a portion of the disease.

I wish I had a good answer. I hope you find one, if you do lets us know.
  • rochellebrahm1
    Options
    Have you tried going to a Chiropractor? i know mine is great for many different things other then just the back and neck...
  • trlymurph
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! I have changed my whole way of eating, exercise daily and still feel the struggle of getting up every morning and hitting the gym or the track. If your meds are off, so are you. I will be at healthy levels per the blood work but still lose hair and have no energy! I wish you all the best! We are in a struggle not only with our weight but with our own bodies and often our own doctors. Keep on trying!!
  • doosht
    doosht Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies. Sounds like a fair few people in the same situation.
  • moijo6
    moijo6 Posts: 121
    Options
    bananas help me.. instant kick of energy and don't think about it.. just get it done to the best of your ability.
  • Theotherkels
    Options
    How're your levels looking on your labs? I'm also hypo-T and I've found that I feel pretty good when my meds are doing their job but if my levels start to rise (even when they are still in the "normal" range .5-4.5) I start feeling like a slug. My TSH sweet spot is around 2.0....if it starts climbing into the 3s I feel like crud! Last time this happened we also discovered that my vitamin D was atrociously low....which appears to be a hereditary issue (we have trouble with absorption). Definitely seek out a doc that understands the nuances of thyroid disease and that your feel good sweet spot may not coincide with what the lab paperwork considers normal.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a website called stopthethyroidmadness.com. I found it a few years ago when my doc kept telling me my thyroid was fine, but I was literally crawling up the stairs in the afternoon, I felt so bad. I found a new doc who treated me, not my labs, and it's made a tremendous difference. I still struggle with my thyroid, but my doc listens to me and adjusts my meds according to how I feel and not according to my lab work. Good luck!
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Its probably not your thyroid that's causing your low energy but low seratonin. You should antidepressants and see if you notice any difference in your energy levels.

I certainly did when i started taking them. And now i am aware of rising and falling energy levels whether i'm depressed or not.

The thing is if you thyroid levels are in the normal range, you should not be experience the symptoms of this kind.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Too many doctors treat the range as a one-size-fits-all. I felt like crud until I got my free T4 and T3 into the upper third of the 'normal' range. I also had to argue hard for every increase with my doctor. If you're still suffering from hypo symptoms then you're dosage isn't optimized yet. Ask for a trial increase to see if it relieves any of your symptoms. If he refuses to work with you, it might be time to find a new doctor.
  • getupandgo877
    getupandgo877 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I too have heard that the "normal" range, might not be normal for a certain person you may want to get a second opinion.

I struggle with lack of motivation to exercise. I've had my thyroid checked and am in the "normal" range too. I'm on antidepressants and don't think they are for everyone. Not to mention, they tend to make you gain weight. Obviously, you would want to be assessed for any signs of depression. I just had my antidepressant lowered and have noticed I'm not as tired feeling. I would agree though, you may have other reasons why you lack energy, especially women in our age range.
  • Kaelakcr
    Kaelakcr Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia so the fatigue struggle is real. I can barely function some days.

What I find is best is staying on my feet. If I sit, I lose all my energy and momentum. Coming home from work, I have to immediately work out, otherwise I won't do it. Same goes for cleaning and stuff.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Some doctors treat you so that your TSH is just within "normal" range. The problem with that is that for some of us, we don't FEEL good until our TSH is around 2. If you're being treated by your GP, consider seeing an endocrinologist.
  • MargretEmily
    Options
    I'm also in this boat. Tired always. I actually didnt even think that it is connected with low thyroid. There are days when I have to go to sleep an hour after work just to be able to keep until bedtime. I'm pretty sure my meds arent the right level. Gotta go to doctor.