Cheat Day

Options
I know that I would like to incorporate a cheat day into my weight loss plan. I think it will help me manage any over eating urges during the week, knowing i have a designated time to let loose.

I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions for guidelines that you use on your cheat days?
ex. still counting all your calories
ex. only eating 500 calories extra etc.

I'm scared to let go too much, i don't want it to pull me off track.

Thanks your help!

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I don't do cheat days, I eat whatever I want everyday, making sure it falls within my caloric allotment. If you are going to splurge on a certain day, I would make sure you stay within maintenance level so as not to sabotage the rest of the week.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I don't do cheat days, I eat whatever I want everyday, making sure it falls within my caloric allotment. If you are going to splurge on a certain day, I would make sure you stay within maintenance level so as not to sabotage the rest of the week.

This. I don't believe in cheat days, because they feel to me too much like binging. Some days I'll go over my goal, but so long as I stay within maintenance calories, I'm alright with it.
  • pjcolling14
    pjcolling14 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    More exercise...it really helps on the day you would like to consume more calories.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options

So conveniently enough whatever you want to eat happens to be not enough to go over calories for the day? But for most people, eating whatever they want would take them well over that limit. A better way to put it is to say have something every day that you would have on a cheat day. Something within a manageable amount, basically - satisfy one craving at a time. Cheat days can work, they did for me for a while until I got to about 10 stone. The downside is though eating so much refined sugary food in one day can leave you feeling less than great. Give cheat meals a try first perhaps?
  • bomftdrum
    bomftdrum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    More exercise...it really helps on the day you would like to consume more calories.

I don't do cheat days, but when I know I am going to eat a lot, I do this. It allows me to go over what my normal daily goal would be and not feel bad because I have the extra calories.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I know that I would like to incorporate a cheat day into my weight loss plan. I think it will help me manage any over eating urges during the week, knowing i have a designated time to let loose.

I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions for guidelines that you use on your cheat days?
    ex. still counting all your calories
    ex. only eating 500 calories extra etc.

I'm scared to let go too much, i don't want it to pull me off track.

Thanks your help!

It's life, we aren't going to eat perfectly everyday.
    One day where you go over isn't go to throw a wrench into any of your progress.

Do i go over? Yes! Is it often? No! Do I consider it cheating? No!

I always count my calories, and macros

if you only eat 500 calories over, assuming you eat at a 500 calorie deficit, you should not gain any weight as this will be close to maintanence. Furthure more for you to gain any significant weight you would have to eat above and beyond your maintanence for many many days.

Enjoy your food, enjoy your life!
  • k_wat4264
    k_wat4264 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I am trying hard not to eat sugar, because i think it causes me to actually eat more. Increases cravings/ makes me more hungry. But of course that is hard to do in real life on the weekends at friends houses etc. So, I think I'm going to allow myself to go to my maintenance intake once a week with a sugary dessert once a week. I'll see how that goes. Thanks!
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options

So conveniently enough whatever you want to eat happens to be not enough to go over calories for the day? But for most people, eating whatever they want would take them well over that limit. A better way to put it is to say have something every day that you would have on a cheat day. Something within a manageable amount, basically - satisfy one craving at a time. Cheat days can work, they did for me for a while until I got to about 10 stone. The downside is though eating so much refined sugary food in one day can leave you feeling less than great. Give cheat meals a try first perhaps?

I think her key phrase was "making sure it falls with my caloric allotment". I do the same thing. I cook whatever I feel like making, just in a portion that meets my needs. It's not "conveniently enough" it's how she makes this work for her.
  • doctorregenerated
    doctorregenerated Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    The term cheat is wrong. It implies that you are doing something wrong.
    Doing something wrong often causes people to feel guilty and then self destruct.
    Or some people get a kick out of being bad and then they want to repeat the behavior.
    What you are looking for is a splurge day. A splurge calls it for what it is - an intentional increase of calories for a pleasurable reason.
    To have a successful splurge, calculate your total calories allowed for the whole week.
    For me right now that is 1383 x 7 = 9681. I am trying to lose at a 20% deficit, which is the highest recommended. But on a week with a splurge, I would be ok with a 10% deficit. So as an easy shortcut that helps estimate, take 10% of the total: 968. That is the total number of calories available for a splurge day or days. (comes out to 1521, which is just under the true 10% number.)
    If you are losing at a 10% deficit, you should only use 5% for the splurge. So for me that would be:
    1556 - 5% = 544.60 (results in a deficit of 1633 per day instead of the original 1521.)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

I think her key phrase was "making sure it falls with my caloric allotment". I do the same thing. I cook whatever I feel like making, just in a portion that meets my needs. It's not "conveniently enough" it's how she makes this work for her.
    +1
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Don't have a cheat "day". Have a cheat "meal". The next day I always put those calories to good use in the gym.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I may plan a cheat meal, but not a whole day. However, it is not Christmas yet!
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    It really depends. I typically know when I might be eating out and want to indulge. If I am trying to lose weight, I might only give myself enough extra calories to be at maintenance for the day. If I am maintaining my weight, I will try to give myself a 100-200 calorie deficit over 5 days and then use the extra 500-1000 calories for my cheat day.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options

You've just ignored the point I was getting at about being careful how you word something because some might not understand the difference between eating whatever you want in moderation and binging, but thanks anyway.
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options

This. I don't believe in cheat days, because they feel to me too much like binging. Some days I'll go over my goal, but so long as I stay within maintenance calories, I'm alright with it.

^^This.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I have a 'treat day' once a week usually which usually involves having a slice of homemade cake or a homemade cookie, and maybe something I wouldn't usually eat for dinner, like pasta. I don't usually go over calories as I usually get some exercise in, and if I do go over, it's not by much. I try to go all week with no 'treats' at all.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    For lunch today I went to TGI Fridays... Shared a starter and ate a whole rack of ribs.... Well most of them! :laugh:

It's not a 'cheat day' for me, I just follow IIFYM and make sure I hit my weekly calorie and macro goals...
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

You've just ignored the point I was getting at about being careful how you word something because some might not understand the difference between eating whatever you want in moderation and binging, but thanks anyway.

I think it was pretty clear what she was trying to say, she can't control how someone reads her posts.....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

I think it was actually pretty clear...but thanks anyway.