exercising, counting cals and not losing

Options
My calorie intake is 1400, I kickbox/box 60 minutes 3-4 times a week and twice a week I use hand weights for 30 minutes. I am losing inches, haven not lost one pound. I have been on this track for 3 months. Any suggestions as to how can I ramp it up to lose?

Replies

• zetodd
    zetodd Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The first question should be, if you are losing inches, who cares about weight?

If you know your variables are constant, adjust one to see if it has any effect. I would guess you could adjust calories upward by a hundred or so a day and see the outcome over two weeks.
  • carolinaem
    carolinaem Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a heart rate monitor, I would get one and eat back at least half of the calories you burn each day. Also mixing up your exercise routine some can also jolt your body out of a rut.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing everything you eat or just guestimating? That makes a huge difference. Even using measuring cups, it is very easy to eat more than you realize.

Also, how much weight are you trying to lose? What is your height and weight? If you don't have a lot to lose, you may be where your body wants you to be.

If you haven't lost anything in 3 months, chances are you are eating more than you realize.
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    And if you want to lose, it makes no sense to up your calories. Remember, everything is an estimate..... Calories in foods, calories burned doing exercise....all of it. Sometimes it is a matter of playing around with the numbers until you hit on what works. But you can't always be changing things. You need to change something and then stick with that a week or two to really understand the effect of the change you made. If it doesn't work by that time, switch up something else. Good luck!
  • zetodd
    zetodd Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience

While being accurate in measuring, re-estimating exercise calories, etc. might be useful for someone new, I don't think it is useful for someone who has been tracking for awhile. Most people are creatures of habit and eat and do the same things relatively regularly. Exercising often and eating little makes some bodies grumpy. Feeding them a little more makes them happy. I wouldn't advise someone eating 1400 to continue downward in calories as there is little room left for adjustment.
  • iAmSkinnyAndHealthy
    Options
    Try building more muscle…EVERYWHERE…look at at diagram of muscles…don't forget your back and whole core, not just front abs & side…there is a lot there…there are free videos all over the net that can b helpful to change up your routine and get all of your muscles working…seek and u shall find. I was having this same problem and since I started to do many different muscle building exercises…my shirts that were snug are loose…pants falling off.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Try building more muscle…EVERYWHERE…look at at diagram of muscles…don't forget your back and whole core, not just front abs & side…there is a lot there…there are free videos all over the net that can b helpful to change up your routine and get all of your muscles working…seek and u shall find. I was having this same problem and since I started to do many different muscle building exercises…my shirts that were snug are loose…pants falling off.

You can't build muscle, while eating at a deficit!
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of the opposite,.......i'm losing weight but not really losing inches.
    I'd prefer to be losing inches tbh.
    And you've got to remember, Muscle weighs heavier that Fat.
    How do your old clothes fit you now?
  • findingme07
    findingme07 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything I eat and count calories. I am trying to lose 30 lbs.
  • findingme07
    findingme07 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I am working all the muscle groups, clothes fit better, and my monitor states I am using 650-725 calories per kickbox/boxing workout but I am not eating those calories...I will try eating more calories to help build more muscle. Thanks for all the suggestions!
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options

You can't build muscle, while eating at a deficit!

Depending on the case, Yes in fact you can. Being overweight or an under-trained beginner and getting LOTS of protein can really change the game.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a heart rate monitor, I would get one and eat back at least half of the calories you burn each day. Also mixing up your exercise routine some can also jolt your body out of a rut.
    No, if she's not losing weight, eating more is not the answer.

OP, setting any medical issues aside, chances are you're eating more than you realize. it's pretty common.

Make sure you weigh food, log everything, and eat only a portion of your exercise calories back.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I am working all the muscle groups, clothes fit better, and my monitor states I am using 650-725 calories per kickbox/boxing workout but I am not eating those calories...I will try eating more calories to help build more muscle. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Since you are getting plenty of conflicting info I suggest you do some reserch on the following topics and seek some qualified advise.

Weight loss = Calorie deficit. - Muscle building=calorie surplus

Building muscle doing cardio vrs heavy lifting

Calories burnt doing cardio at easy, moderate and strenuous levels.
  • Sophiareed218
    Sophiareed218 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    No, if she's not losing weight, eating more is not the answer.

OP, setting any medical issues aside, chances are you're eating more than you realize. it's pretty common.

Make sure you weigh food, log everything, and eat only a portion of your exercise calories back.

Agree. Reduce the calories a bit, the weight should come down.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience

While being accurate in measuring, re-estimating exercise calories, etc. might be useful for someone new, I don't think it is useful for someone who has been tracking for awhile. Most people are creatures of habit and eat and do the same things relatively regularly. Exercising often and eating little makes some bodies grumpy. Feeding them a little more makes them happy. I wouldn't advise someone eating 1400 to continue downward in calories as there is little room left for adjustment.

Tracking for a while doesn't mean tracking properly. If you're not tracking the ranch dressing or weighing the peanut butter properly, you could be eating hundreds of calories more than you realize even though you've been tracking for years. And I don't get the whole, your ticker says you want to lose 50 lbs but it doesn't matter if you haven't lost weight for three months. I mean unless we have info that she's trying to get underweight, the weight loss goal is reasonable and she should be able to accomplish it if she's putting in the time and effort
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything I eat and count calories. I am trying to lose 30 lbs.

Open up your diary

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Edit: well since most people end up not opening their diary, you could also read these to troubleshoot where you may be consuming more calories than you think:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1296011-calorie-counting-101

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide