not getting enough protein in my diet...

Options
I've been eating a lot of fruit and vegetable and high fiber items (steel cut oatmeal, fiber one cereal, beans) and I'm noticing at the end of the day my protein levels are lower than is recommended.

The kicker is, I'm full and not hungry at the end of the day and have energy to work, workout, etc..

Any ideas on getting good low cal protein in my diet?

Thanks!

Replies

• abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    string cheese, yogurt, add brown rice to your beans, lentils, quinoa
  • patjad
    patjad Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I love boca burgers. They're super low calorie and have a ton of protein, plus they're vegetarian!
    I am also a huge fan of tofu and tofu products. There's great beancurd (a form of tofu) products and snacks. Might sound odd, but if you can find them I highly recommend atleast trying them.
    Also, peanut butter with your fruit :)
  • bex22mcn
    Options
    Lentils are really high in protein. Chuck a handful into all kinds of sauces, eat as a replacement to mash. They are so handy (and filling!).
  • mangos4music
    mangos4music Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem, im gonna start trying peanut butter
  • Meeko1971
    Options
    Thanks for all of the tips....
    especially the string cheese. I love those and had cut them out lately.

I think little small changes will get me up to where I want to be.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    add in a protein shake if your still struggling. you can get some for only 120-130 calories and you can mix them with water. will help you feel full for longer and its adding the protein you need
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    add in a protein shake if your still struggling. you can get some for only 120-130 calories and you can mix them with water. will help you feel full for longer and its adding the protein you need

Egg whites (low cal + decent protien)
    Fish! Canned Tuna, salmon, etc
    Protien shake -- optimum nutrition - natural whey is ny fav.
    Also, you can easily make your own protein bars and cookies. I don't like store bought as they are mor expensive and have extra junk in them..
  • Meeko1971
    Options
    Thanks for all of the tips...

Do you still have days that you are below and then others that are above the recommended levels for protein?

Just wondering....
  • Meeko1971
    Options
    where can I find some recipes for protein bars?
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt
    string cheese
    protein shake
    protein bars
    eggs
    chicken, slamon, lean beef
  • embym
    embym Posts: 65
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and realized that I get too much protein most of the time because I've been super conscious of getting enough protein for years! Here are some awesome low-cal protein-packed items:

- "SmartDogs"- only 45 calories each with 8g protein and taste just like hot dogs but with a better texture!

- Any other fake meat product will be high protein and low cal. I also recommend using fake beef from the frozen food section in place of ground beef, my non-vegetarian friends never miss the meat in recipes like this.

- Beans of any kind have a TON of protein for fewer calories

- Lowfat milk

- Eggs
  • patjad
    patjad Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    www.youbar.com is awesome
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I've had this same problem, but really had to make a conscious effort to up my protein intake for my current fitness program so I've gotten a lot better. I have a few go-to snacks.... org. PB on org. rice cake, slice of roasted turkey w/ slice of cheese, string cheese, cottage cheese, the occasional protein bar for snack, but I've also bulked it up at lunch which has helped tremendously. Fish, chicken or veggie burgers for lunch are great!
  • farmgirl88
    farmgirl88 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Beans are your friend! Combine black beans or kidney beans with rice and/or corn in order to make the most of their nutrients!

Lowfat or nonfat yogurts and cottage cheeses are packed full of protein but still low in fat. Greek yogurt is best if you are trying to keep the sugar count low, too.

Caution about eating peanut butter... regular-ol' PB, although high in protein, is also very high in fat and sugar. Go natural/organic or make your own! Or, if you're a sucker for JIF like I am, try only eating a spoonful every so often.
  • MrX8503
    MrX8503 Posts: 67
    Options
    I may be biased, but a protein shake is the leanest and quickest way to get protein. Another thing you can try is hemp protein, but its a little bit more costly.

If thats not your thing go for beans and lean meats. Try not to consume too much dairy, dairy is high in fat. The only dairy I consume is low fat milk and eggs and I stay far away from cheese.

Lean meats you can have are chicken, fish, and beef.

Getting your fiber from veggies is what fills you up, but veggies don't have protein in them. Balance the diet and you'll be full and at the correct protein level.

Lean meats you can have are chicken, fish, and beef.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    quinoa, greek yogurt (I prefer 0% Fage), beans