What kind of butter do you use?

I switched to I can't believe it's not butter and it's nasty. I just can't do it.

But I need something besides the calorie laden crap I have been using.

Replies

• jennifurballs
    jennifurballs Posts: 247 Member
    When I do use butter, which is rare, I use regular butter. I think it's worth the calories and fat and that other crap isn't good for you.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    When I do use butter, which is rare, I use regular butter. I think it's worth the calories and fat and that other crap isn't good for you.

I use butter all of the time and in a lot of what I cook. This morning was my eggs, bacon and toast and I thought my kids were going to mirder me due to the I can't believe it's not butter, butter.

Maybe I'll stick with what I always used next time and just have to factor it in somewhere
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    real sweet cream butter. Unsalted. My body does better on the digestive side of things ( :blushing: ) when I make sure I get enough dietary fat
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Unsalted Butter.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    I switched to I can't believe it's not butter and it's nasty. I just can't do it.

But I need something besides the calorie laden crap I have been using.

Butter is mostly fat with about 100 calories per tablespoon. I make room for it in my diet. Tastes good & there's just no substitute for it, in my opinion.

I use ghee for cooking & find that far less is necessary to keep food from sticking to the pan.
  • dianesheart88
    dianesheart88 Posts: 111 Member
    I found this interesting and since then I eat regular butter...

Pass The Butter .. Please.

This is interesting . .. .

Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back.

It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow colouring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavourings...

DO YOU KNOW.. The difference between margarine and butter?

Read on to the end...gets very interesting!

Both have the same amount of calories.

Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams; compared to 5 grams for margarine.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.

Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few and
    only because they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavours of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years .

And now, for Margarine..

Very High in Trans fatty acids.

Triples risk of coronary heart disease .
    Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases the risk of cancers up to five times..

Lowers quality of breast milk.

Decreases immune response.

Decreases insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact.... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC... and shares 27 ingredients with PAINT

These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

You can try this yourself:

Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it open in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will notice a couple of things:

* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

* it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value ; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic . Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    I use real butter. Unsalted to cook with, salted on the rare occasion we have it on the table. I don't like the taste of artificial butter or margarine.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Real sweet cream salted butter
  • killervogel5
    killervogel5 Posts: 24 Member
    Real butter is seriously the only way to go. Margarines and other butter substitutes are loaded with nasty stuff. I used to use them, and ate them all the time growing up, because they were "lower in calories"... but at what cost? If you really want to go old school, make your OWN butter out of cold cream, it's intense. But there is nothing wrong with real butter (I use salted in my butter dish for regular use and keep unsalted on hand for baking and other sodium-sensitive recipes) as long as you use it in moderation. Just look at the ingredient lists for butter and margarine and then tell me which you're more comfortable putting in your body.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    DH likes soft butter for toast,so Land O Lakes with Canola oil works for that.50 cals per Tbl.
    I keep regular butter in freezer for when only butter will do:laugh:
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Sweet cream butter (salted)

I grew up on that fake stuff, and when I tried real butter at 20 there was no going back!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Actual butter? Store brand unsalted butter.

For sammiches, I use Becel margarine. For baking, I use Parkay or Blue Bonnet margarine.

If you like butter, use it and make it fit into your daily calories.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    The kind that is real butter.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    I use real butter!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Real butter - salter or unsalted depending on what I'm using it for.. but the answer is always real butter
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Sweet cream salted butter, I still use it, just not on or in as many things as I used to.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Butter. If it's used for baking then basic unsalted, if it's going on good bread, artisanal. But, honestly, I don't eat much butter.
  • fitcrt
    fitcrt Posts: 76 Member
    We use Land O Lakes Light Spreadable Butter w/ Canola Oil for spreading on things & just regular stick butter for baking...
  • heidispideymfp
    heidispideymfp Posts: 179 Member
    I use whichever butter is on sale
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Unsalted Butter.

same