Not losing inches

Options
I know you can't choose where to lose weight, but I still figured I would have lost inches off my waist and hips. I have lost almost 9 pounds and can't seem to tell where I lost it from.

If you haven't lost inches from hips, waist, thighs does this mean I am losing muscle?

I just don't get it.

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Generally when you lose weight, the inches kind of lag behind. I go through streaks where I lose weight but not inches, then I will lose inches but not weight. It is another frustrating thing about weight loss. Also, I am the body type that gains and loses equally throughout the body so I have to lose more in order for it to show in inches and dress size.

Just be patient, it WILL show
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success so far! Remember that the first 5 pounds is usually water and the more you have to lose the harder it is to tell where it came from. I've heard people say they didn't notice until they hit 20 pounds. I noticed right around 12-13 pounds down, that my waist had shrunk and I went down a pant size. Hang tight, its coming!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success so far! Remember that the first 5 pounds is usually water and the more you have to lose the harder it is to tell where it came from. I've heard people say they didn't notice until they hit 20 pounds. I noticed right around 12-13 pounds down, that my waist had shrunk and I went down a pant size. Hang tight, its coming!

This.

I started getting very noticable results at the 20lb mark. I was losing inches slowly, but visibly saw a difference after 20. Right now I'm 5'4 and teetering between 127-129 from around 148-150.
    Some days I lose water, so obviously I'm not going to lose inches. Some days I notice a trend where I've maintained at a lower weight; most likely I've lost an inch somewhere!

Just keep at it, and the inches will totter behind you as you pound the pavement or the gym to reach your goals. :)
  • sweetsoonergirl
    sweetsoonergirl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I get discouraged from time to time too. This has been my second week of cutting back on sugar and ampping up my workouts(recently getting motivation after losing my dad to leukemia). I also feel really bloated. I've read that it takes at least 4 weeks to notice change in your body depending where you're at and how far you are from your goal. It'd be nice if our bodies would just steadily show progress like we like though.