What kind of butter do you use?

Options

Replies

• Cheyenelikewyoming
    Cheyenelikewyoming Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Land of lakes sweet cream butter. It melts like chocolate. Remember, Oprah said that fake butter is only good to use as a hand lotion!:laugh:
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Salted or unsalted sweet cream butter. Depends on what I'm cooking/baking.
  • lolly2414
    lolly2414 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I use real butter (usually store brand) most of the time, but I do sometimes bake with margarine (particularly when baking cookies) because I think some baked goods turn out better with it.
  • SandraJN
    SandraJN Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Kerry Gold Irish butter
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    As with any Internet claim that a food item will kill you and your loved ones in your sleep, the "butter vs. margarine" piece is largely bogus: http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp

I use unsalted butter; DBF prefers margarine. It all comes down to personal preference (and sometimes its behavior in baking).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Real butter. Wish I could find the French type though as it's even better. Typically store brand as well. I use whipped butter for my toast though (when I have some).
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Shed's spread country crock original. I don't use a ton of butter so when I do use it, I want the kind I like.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Unsalted. Other than that I don't worry about brand much, although I sometimes get Kerrygold.

But I use olive oil more than butter and coconut oil sometimes. The calories are pretty similar; to control calories I just reduce how much I use--I use a lot of olive oil in spray form.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Unsalted butter
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Unsalted European butter is loaded with fresh flavor.
    So is raw organic pasture fed butter (even more so than the European). So you can use less.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I use unsalted butter for cooking and baking and Clover for spreading on bread and toast and such.
  • mrgrant88
    mrgrant88 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use real butter. Not any of the imitation stuff or margarine. However, I buy the butter quarters and keep them in the freezer until I need one for cooking, baking or just because we want to make popcorn. At any one time we have 2 lbs on hand one each salted and unsalted. I read an article sometime back that said to only use unsalted for baking because it can make a difference on how your recipe turns out and even cooking in general who couldn't go without a little less salt. Nothing beats the real thing, and in my experience with food as long as it's not one that will trigger an eating binge keep it in your diet and enjoy it in moderation. Look for small ways to use a little less here and there and be happy.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Salted butter. Margarine is gross.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I have been using Olivo Light or Smart Balance Light or one of the Smart Balance Light products, which have only 50 calories a serving and have olive oil and omegas. I use these on my English muffin or a little on vegetables or corn on the cob. For cooking, I usually use olive oil.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I switched to I can't believe it's not butter and it's nasty. I just can't do it.

But I need something besides the calorie laden crap I have been using.
    I use real butter. I just use a little less than I used to, and I weigh it to be sure how much I'm using
  • ddkphotos
    ddkphotos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    real butter, half salt because I'm watching my sodium...
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I buy really good quality butter with sea salt crystals. I always think if you're going to eat (or drink) anything with a lot of calories you might as well enjoy it.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
  • gotonenerveleft
    gotonenerveleft Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Land o'lakes whipped butter is only 50 calories per Tbls and is real butter, the volume is just different.