Best app/step counter/device?

Options
Hi guys, I was looking for something to count my daily steps. So far I've been using Runtastic in walking mode, but it reeeeally drains my battery. The Runtastic pedometer isn't so accurate, so I'm trying to avoid that. Plus, I'm looking for something to always have on me, that way I'm pretty sure I won't forget it. My daily goal is to walk at least 10k every day. I've been researching and found out that Jawbone Up (not the 24 version) has some good reviews, although some people also said that it's not precise and/or the battery died on them after a few weeks. Does anybody have it?
Fitbit flex looks good to my but it's really out of my budget, so I was thinking of asking my boyfriend to lend me his iPod nano 6th gen and use that for now. Anybody else chose this solution?

Thanks so much :flowerforyou:

Replies

• CaitySins
    CaitySins Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I bought a cheap pedometer before, but never put it on, a slight rattle would add a step. I was hoping one day I can afford the fitbit, but it's way out of my budget now and I would be afraid of giving up and having it just sit there 50-70 quid wasted. I've used my 3DS for counting steps but I honestly could not say if it's accurate or not, I'm all about getting the streetpasses on it xD I've seen Run time, Temp Run and Nike+ running apps be recommended on fitness tumblrs for it.
  • raesayhey
    raesayhey Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't have the money for a dedicated pedometer so I've been using my phone, which I pretty much always have on me.
    I use the Noom Walk app for Android but I can't be sure of it's accuracy.

It doesn't seem overly battery draining and I tend to just use it for comparison between days rather than for measuring exercise for calories burned. So, yeah, that's just my two cents. It would be interesting to know if anyone knows of a better Android app.
  • doesthisappmakemelookfat
    Options
    I just ordered a polar loop. about $120 in Canada. haven't tried it yet though, but have heard great things. tried a fitbit--did not work at all for me.
  • BuddhaMom74
    Options
    I recently purchased the Garmin Vivofit - so far - loving it!! I particularly like this one (over the FitBit, Jawbone, etc.) because you have the option of pairing it with a HRM, so I get a much more accurate calorie burn. I bought a few different bands so that I can swap it out with what I'm wearing so it doesn't seem so "exercisy" :)

It is expensive though...$190 (here in Canada) for the bundle...but I'm worth it!
  • ChrisJMellor
    Options
    I've used a FitBit for a good while - had lots of success with that.

Also Endomondo on my Android works well.

Appears that iPhone5s has an always on motion sensor (that doesn't drain battery). Endomondo produce a small app called "Life" that reads the sensor and gives you steps taken. This might be a very budget option if you have an iPhone5s - which sounds kinda weird cos iPhones ain't cheap.
  • heidispideymfp
    heidispideymfp Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Endomondo life if you have an iphone 5s
  • SueColumbia
    Options
    I love my fitbit. It costs $99 and is worth it. It automatically updates a free website and also connects with MFP.I've been using it off and on but mostly on for 4 years. The battery lasts a long time and is rechargeable. I think it is very cost effective.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i use striiv. not sure about the battery drain its probably pretty bad because its got a game with it. you earn energy points to use on your island! lol. its fun and I think fairly accurate. I use it in conjunction with mapmywalk and the mileage is pretty close to steps per miles.

did i mention you get to earn fairies for your island? yea, fairies!!!
  • rawremzilly
    Options
    I love my fitbit one c: It can attach to my bra so no one has to know I'm wearing it plus it montiers things like how much I'm sleeping, how many floors climbed throughout the day, accurate measurement of miles walked etc. Plus with it connecting to MFP it really connects how your diet and exercise is impacting you on a daily basis and where you're going right and wrong.

Totally worth the money if you can afford it
  • Mohana94
    Mohana94 Posts: 54
    Options
    I would like to know as well. I've been using the Omron one but I'm not sure how accurate it is. I always halve the readings.
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit flex, and i really like it. I briefly tried the jawbone UP (the older version) and i returned it. it doesnt automatically sync to your phone, there is no website, only phone app. For $10 more, i went with the fitbit. The flex is $99, but you can also get the fitbit zip, its around $50-60. it doesnt track sleep but it still counts steps and calories and syncs to MFp.
  • lazyspice
    lazyspice Posts: 8,515 Member
    Options
    I would like to know as well. I've been using the Omron one but I'm not sure how accurate it is. I always halve the readings.

I used an Omron pedometer for a couple of years before I got a Fitbit. I wore them both for comparison for a week or so and found that the step counts were very similar, less than 50 steps out each day.
  • Arcaenah
    Arcaenah Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!! I heard about the fitbit zip, I was just wondering whether it was worth it or not, because maybe naw rawremzilly said, the flex is really worth it. I'm looking for something very practical and reliable, since I'll leave to China for four months and being in a campus I won't be able to cook at all (no control over my calories... Yuck!!!) and I'll be most probably walking to classes and so on, so getting an accurate "panoramic view" over my daily consumption is essential to me.
  • Advaya
    Advaya Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about getting a fitbit.. probably the zip one I'm not sure.. but i read somewhere that if it syncs with mfp you can't add other exercise.

Like I use endomondo and runtastic for specific exercises, is that not compatable with fitbit?
  • veroblanchard
    Options
    I'd recommend fitbit (any of them) or misfit shine (more elegant IMO). They both integrate with myfitnesspal.
    If you want to save some money, check craigslist or ebay, you can usually get some used ones in very good condition for much cheaper than a brand new one.
  • wildskies
    wildskies Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend fitbit (any of them) or misfit shine (more elegant IMO). They both integrate with myfitnesspal.
    If you want to save some money, check craigslist or ebay, you can usually get some used ones in very good condition for much cheaper than a brand new one.

Shine integrates with MFP now? It didn't when I looked at them less than 2 months ago and that was one of my big deciding factors for not getting it.
  • Mohana94
    Mohana94 Posts: 54
    Options

I used an Omron pedometer for a couple of years before I got a Fitbit. I wore them both for comparison for a week or so and found that the step counts were very similar, less than 50 steps out each day.

I might switch to a Fitbit one soon but I don't have the budget as of now. This is good to know. Thanks! That makes me more confident in the readings.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend a FitBit One if you can afford it or a FitBit Zip if you can't. One that's worn on your body will always be more accurate than one on your wrist and it's more discreet and hygenic too.

Phone apps are OK but who carries their phone absolutely everywhere with them?
  • lnmarieg
    lnmarieg Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been using the Garmin Vivofit and I really like it. I tried the polar loop for one day and it was a complete lemon... wouldn't sync to the HRM strap...which was the whole reason I went with that one. So the next comparable was the Vivofit. As I said, I like it a lot. It seems to be pretty accurate, is very easy to use and has a pretty interaction website-(my phone is too old to sync with it,so I use my computer). It also syncs very nicely with my fitness pal. It is pretty pricy, but you never have to charge it, compared to the other products. The one thing I will say is that from many reviews on it, and in my own experience, it unclasps pretty easily. I bought a work around solution on amazon for $7 and have much more faith in not losing it now. Good luck on whatever you chose.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I have had a decent time with my Fitbit Flex. But it's the only thing I've ever used. That might say that I haven't tried other things or that the flex was good enough that I didn't feel i needed to. Up to u.