What to do with ripe plums?

Options
jaecamp1
jaecamp1 Posts: 120 Member
Do any of you amazing foodies have some recipes for ripe plums? They are at the point where they are a bit too mushy to slice up. Thanks!

Replies

• heidispideymfp
    heidispideymfp Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Make jam. I'm afraid I don't have an awesome recipe though. I'm still experimenting with jams
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Make jam. I'm afraid I don't have an awesome recipe though. I'm still experimenting with jams
    I second Jam if you have enough. They make the best Jam
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm making a vanilla sponge layer cake later this afternoon... going to boil down some plums and make a jammy type substance to incorporate into a cream cheese frosting, then will probably add some chopped raw plums for texture between the cake layers. Thinking of poaching a few plums in vanilla and black tea to garnish. It'll be a fun experiment! :) Sorry I don't have any legit recipes, but I look forward to seeing what others have...
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    How much do you have? You can always do small batch preserving and make some plum jam. Here is one recipe but there are a bunch more out there: :http://livlifetoo.yummly.com/2013/08/small-batch-plum-jam-no-pectin-and.html

The nice thing about jams and preserves is that you can freeze them if you don't want to buy canning jars.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    According to Yummly:

Plum oatmeal crisp
    Plum sorbet
    Plum crumble
    Plum Kuchen (basically a plum pancake. Looks delicious!)
    Sugar-roasted plums
    Plum Galette

There are more, but basically look for something that cooks the plums. Then it doesn't really matter if they're a little mushy.
  • jtm4210
    jtm4210 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Plum crumble?

Layer plums in a baking dish and sprinkle with cinnamon/nutmeg/mixed spice.

Make a somewhat healthier crumble by whizzing oats, brown sugar, nuts and a little butter in a food processor, scatter over the plums and bake until golden and crunchy on top and juicy underneath.

Serve with Greek yoghurt (or ice cream/custard, if you feel like splurging).
  • jaecamp1
    jaecamp1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome, I knew this was the place to ask. :) I have about two dozen of them.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I made this twice earlier this summer, very good:

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/summer-plum-crostata
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I second Jam if you have enough. They make the best Jam
    i third!
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    you could make plum sherbet for a nice treat or I personally would make a plum crumble... omg like a mouthgasm :laugh: :love:
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    Clafoutis.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options