Eating back half of exercise calories?

Options
Hope I don't sound naive for asking this, but I've heard this phrase thrown around here a lot. What exactly does that mean to eat back half of your exercise calories? We're eating much more than we are exercising each day. How could we only be eating half of our exercise calories?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    In addition to your allotted calories, you eat back half of the calories you earn from exercising. IE: MFP gives you 1800 a day, you earn, say 400 in exercised calories, you would eat 2000 total. Additionally, some people eat back all of their exercise calories, so in that case you would be eating 2200 that day.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    MFP is configured to give you a calorie deficit without any logged exercise, based on routine daily activity.

You then log exercise calories.

Then it expects you to eat that number of calories more food ("eat back") to get back to the original deficit.

If the logged calories are an overestimate this can be detrimental, so some people "eat back" half of them to be sure they don't reduce the deficit.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Since I don't trust MFP burns as far as I can throw them, some days I will eat a fraction back of what they said I burned. If they say I burned 300, I may eat 100-150 back, to allow wiggle room in case that burn wasn't accurate.
  • kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat all mine back, but I don't log exercise except strength training, and use my fit bit adjustment instead. To me the numbers MFP gives for exercise are usually off target, since I don't burn a ton of cals bc I'm more compact.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Since I don't trust MFP burns as far as I can throw them, some days I will eat a fraction back of what they said I burned. If they say I burned 300, I may eat 100-150 back, to allow wiggle room in case that burn wasn't accurate.
    This^ exactly. I don't aim to eat any back. However sometimes I just happen to go a litlle over my daily allotment and the nice thing about the exercise calories they give me, I don't end up in the red. If I actually DO eat all my exercise calories, it wasn't planned just a super hangry day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    MFP gives you a calorie goal that includes your weight loss deficit...you're not trying to create your deficit through exercise with MFP. The activity level in MFP is just your day to day stuff WITHOUT exercise...as such, exercise is unaccounted for activity...to account for it, you log it and get those calories to "eat back" People often do 1/2 because it is so difficult to estimate calorie burned and databases and other calorie burn calculators can substantially overestimate burn.

I will use my own numbers for a little math lesson. I maintain WITHOUT exercise on roughly 2300 - 2400 calories per day. To lose 1 Lb per week I need to be around 500 calories less than that per day...so lets say 1850. Now lets say I go run 3 miles every day and burn 300 calories...I log that and get those calories to eat back...so now my goal is 1850 + 300 = 2150...but I still maintain that 500 calorie deficit because my maintenance calories will have also increased by the same amount.

Just math...other calculators assume some estimate of those calorie upfront in your activity level...MFP does not.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Okay, I think I gotcha. I thought it meant that after your workout, you have to eat back half right away or something.

Nope. If you are an athlete doing intense training, it can be helpful to have a recovery drink or meal with a 4:1 ratio of carbohydrates to protein (such as lowfat chocolate milk), but that's only if you work out for several hours or are doing especially intense cardio.

This post is useful:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf