• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Kerry Gold salted...
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Butter? Rarely. Margarine, not at all.

My go-to is bacon fat. According to USDA numbers compared to butter, it's lower in saturated fat, and higher in mono- and polyunsaturated fats.
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Real Butter
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    real butter is expensive where I live, easily 3x the cost of spreadable margarine (and that is when they are not having a sale on the marge).

To make room in my admittedly very tight budget for more fruits, veggies, and things like that I switched to a non-hydrodgenated spreadable margarine.

I use blue bonnet or parkay, depending which is on sale. I buy the small tubs when I can get them for less than a dollar, and measure out my portion with a table spoon.

My children like the taste, and I save money for things I care about more.
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    ChildrenCryinNCoffee Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Omega Butter made from Flaxseed.

So good, so so so good.
  • myrtille87
    myrtille87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Like most people have said - I just use regular butter.

I don't usually fry things in butter though - the things I use it on are:
    -Toast (had a slice of toast with butter and a poached egg this morning - wouldn't have been as nice without real butter).
    -Potato cakes (again, need the nice melty butter on these)
    -Baked potatoes or boiled new potatoes if there's no other sauce to go with them
    -For making sauces (ie: white sauce for lasagne)

For baking cakes I sometimes use margarine (such as Stork) just because it's cheaper.

For other cooking I use olive oil or vegetable oil, and I've started measuring with a teaspoon or tablespoon measure to check how many calories I'm adding.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Butter.

But I'll use the fake stuff too. I don't discriminate. Whateva fits da macros.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Kerry Gold Irish butter

or Lurpak butter

Made in Denmark from the purest Danish cow's milk. Available salted or unsalted, it is a great butter to spread on bread, melt over steamed .
  • Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I don't particularly like butter, but I HATE the chemical crap. I actually use olive, canola, or coconut oil in my pan for sautee (and have for YEARSSSSS). When it comes to baking, I use real butter to line the pans, etc.

Use what you like and simply make it work. Food should be good AND nutritious. Don't sacrifice that for a few calories.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I use Ghee or a local brand of butter, like Tillamook or Alpenrose. Real butter is the way to go for most cooking and baking, just measure appropriately.

If you want one of the veg*n buttery spreads for bagels or toast, I'd go with soy-free Earth Balance.
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Kerrygold Pure Irish Butter. I get that in UK where i am , not sure if it is available in USA. I will always choose butter over margerine for many of same reasons as others have mentioned. My reading has convinced me real butter is better for me than margerine. I also think butter tastes much nicer than margerine. I do not eat lots of butter but I do not feel guilty when i do eat it.
  • TammyMcInroy
    Options
    I don, but if I do its butter for cooking only
  • PurrlyGirl
    PurrlyGirl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I actually like I Can't Believe It's Not Butter. But I do also use real stick-butter whenever I need that sort of thing, or for spreading, I use Country Crock Light. For greasing a pan, like when making eggs (I eat a lot of eggs :heart: ) I just spray with a no-cal canola spray from Costco. Works just fine.
  • tiggsnanny
    tiggsnanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Always butter. OH has margarine, each to his own :happy:
  • Siigh_duck
    Siigh_duck Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Lurpak lightest spreadable is really nice :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I use regular old butter when regular old butter is called for. I also use a variety of cooking oils, including coconut oil. You don't need to substitute oils and butter...learn to cook with them in more moderation. I cook a lot and I used to use tons of oil and butter in my recipes...I learned quickly that what I was using was pretty excessive and that in most cases I could cut the amounts I was using in half or more.

Also be careful with these substitutes...many of them have partially hydrogenated oils...some of them have these in small enough quantities as to claim zero trans fats, but that's really just bull****...trans fats are horrible and I'm really hoping they will be banned soon...I believe that process has started.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    real butter is expensive where I live, easily 3x the cost of spreadable margarine (and that is when they are not having a sale on the marge).

To make room in my admittedly very tight budget for more fruits, veggies, and things like that I switched to a non-hydrodgenated spreadable margarine.

I use blue bonnet or parkay, depending which is on sale. I buy the small tubs when I can get them for less than a dollar, and measure out my portion with a table spoon.

My children like the taste, and I save money for things I care about more.

^^This. Butter is really expensive, blue bonnet is like $.99... but when i rarely buy butter, i just buy unsalted store brand.
  • looopyloops
    looopyloops Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I use real butter if its for flavoring, have been using coconut oil and other oils for baking or frying chicken and stirfrys, and use that sparingly
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Real butter is seriously the only way to go. Margarines and other butter substitutes are loaded with nasty stuff. I used to use them, and ate them all the time growing up, because they were "lower in calories"... but at what cost? If you really want to go old school, make your OWN butter out of cold cream, it's intense. But there is nothing wrong with real butter (I use salted in my butter dish for regular use and keep unsalted on hand for baking and other sodium-sensitive recipes) as long as you use it in moderation. Just look at the ingredient lists for butter and margarine and then tell me which you're more comfortable putting in your body.

^^agree. just because something is low in calories does not mean its good for you. id rather use regular butter and work the calories into my goal, then to put a lower calorie version of it and put a ton of extra chemicals into my body.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Ghee or unsalted butter