Foods that make you full longer??

Options
Any suggestions on foods that will help you to stay full longer throughout the day? I find that I am always hungry a couple of hours after dinner and I usually have no calories left at that point or very little?

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I've found that if I'm getting enough lean protein, I'm not so hungry. Oatmeal is nice and filling as well.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Usually if I have oatmeal or eggs in the morning, I don't get the hunger pains nearly as bad later in the day.
  • aeragusa
    aeragusa Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Anything high in fiber. Raw veggies are always good. I also try to squeeze in a snack mid-morning and mid-afternoon, even if it's only a small something. I find I eat a lot less at lunch and dinner and feel less hungry throughout the day.

Hope this helps!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I find that anything with enough protein helps, as long as it's not too salty. Salt just makes me hungry. I find that low fat cottage cheese helps, as does scrambled egg whites. An apple will help too.
  • leastwood
    Options
    Wow, you guys are right on it! Fiber keeps you from feeling hungry. There is good fiber in an apple, or banana.
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Chobani greek style non-fat yogurt. Very high protein content and it's not watery like most others. Very nice taste.
  • gdotman
    gdotman Posts: 64
    Options
    I dont know about yall if your trying the 5-6 meals a day program, but it does suck that you stay hungry trust me I know. I use to be a heavy eater. Though I feel that I know that my stomach is shrinking. I try some gum or tic tacs just to get rid of the urge.
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Chobani greek style non-fat yogurt. Very high protein content and it's not watery like most others. Very nice taste.
    BINGO. This stuff is the best. Tastes Great and filling. best texture I have ever found in a yogurt. I also love beans as a filler or lentils, lentil soup rocks!
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    i had one of these today and it was fantastic!!! i could eat this every day for lunch...

http://www.starbucks.com/menu/food/fruit-and-snack-plates/protein-plate?foodZone=9999
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    A huge juicy orange also helps me :)
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
  • lala362
    Options
    Chobani or whatever brand Greek Yogurt... and I put Grainless Cereal by Lydia's organics in it... that has about 7 g of protein in half a cup -quite a few calories but very filling breakfast! I am always willing to put the calories in breakfast over other meals.

La-
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    avocado, peanut butter, tuna
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Try having dinner a little later, and/or saving some calories for a small, healthy evening snack. Protein will help you feel full longer, so make sure you get enough protein w/ dinner.

My evening snack is usually lowfat yogurt or cottage cheese /w honey (usually satisfies my craving for sweets) with a small number (6-12) almonds.
  • james3302
    james3302 Posts: 119
    Options
    Fiber, Protein and Whole Grains. Stay away from sugar and simple carbs such as white bread and white rice.
  • farmgirl88
    farmgirl88 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Eat a hot dinner! Warm food makes you feel fuller longer. And make sure you are drinking plenty of water throughout the day.

If you get late night cravings, try drinking a cup of hot tea or black coffee. I've even heard that drinking green tea helps rev up your metabolism!
  • krisjc210
    krisjc210 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks, will have to try some of these out!
  • amysambora
    Options
    Another thing to ask yourself is how well you're spacing your meals out during the day? If I eat lunch too early, I'm usually hungry before dinner, and sometimes after. :laugh: But sometimes I can eat the exact same meals on different days but feel fuller due to the way I've spaced them out.