Injured from car crash - what to do?

Options
Hi everyone,

I recently finished my first bulk/cut cycle & was beginning to raise calories in preparation for my fall bulk. Unfortunately, my progress has come to a sudden halt, as I was involved in a car accident on Tuesday. (Rear-ended by an SUV who plowed into stopped traffic at 40 mph, pushing my car into the car in front & them into the car in front as well.) I have a lot of soft tissue damage from my neck down to my lower back, as well as some of my vertebrae being pushed out of place.

Basically, I'm not going to be able to lift for at least a few months. :( I'm hoping for some guidance on what I can do nutrition wise to retain my muscle gains during this period of recovery. Should I be eating at maintenance? Do I need to adjust my macros? Any insights are very much appreciated, & thank you so much in advance!!!

Replies

• AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    There's no hurry!
    For the sake of your long term health let your body heal!
    If your doctors allow it, swimming will help retain fitness!
    Your long term health is more important then trying to retain muscle mass against doctors' advice.
    That's my personal opinion.anyway!
  • LULU4178
    LULU4178 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Glad that you are still here!

I was in a car accident 2 and 1/2 years ago. My neck vertebrae where shifted over as well, soft tissue damage on both sides of my back. But after working with a chiropractor, physical therapist, two neurologists, and a speech therapist, I am recovered about 90%. I got back to running a year after my accident and lifting took one and a half years. Before that I worked really hard to get back to walking a mile without having to take a two hour nap afterwards and moving the mouse for the computer caused my back to cramp so lifting was not really an option.

My advice is to talk with your doctor. I am not one, nor do I play one on tv. But i have been where you are and my opinion is that you need to make sure you are reasonably healed before you start thinking about retaining muscle gains. Cannot offer advice on food because I kept eating like I did before the accident and gained 50 pounds before I knew what happened (concussions are like that!). What makes sense to me would be at least eat for maintenance or maybe a few calories extra because your body needs food to heal AND continue to function.

Keep us posted on your progress. Slow and steady!
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Was in a motorcycle accident many years ago. Found I burned calories like crazy during early healing period so lost a lot of weight. Be sure to eat to give your body the nutrition it needs to heal.
  • jadebuilding
    jadebuilding Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much to everyone for your kind replies! I know I am in no position to do any strength training right now- I just don't want to under or over eat while I am forced to take time away from the gym.

Since the accident, I've been eating under my maintenance, but making sure that I still hit my protein every day. I will do my best to eat more & meet maintenance, which it seems like is what my body needs at the moment. :]
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Eat at a very slight surplus, 50 calories or so, with high protein. Train what you can, when you can.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Bummer.
    Healing is priority 1. Take your time and recover. You need calories for repairing the injuries.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Glad you lived through it with what sound like minor injuries.

1) do exactly what the doctors and physical therapy people tell you.
    2) eat at maintenance and concentrate on protein. Your body will use it to heal.

Best of luck with your recovery.
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    See a good chiropractor immediately. I speak from experience.
  • KaleDOG
    KaleDOG Posts: 37
    Options
    Rest, Eat Healthy, see a chiropractor and lots of hot tub visits
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    It's called time. I was also injured in a car wreck two months ago. Don't rush to get back into things because you will do more harm than good. I get it. It's not easy going from active to almost sedentary.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I had a long illness and brain surgery last year. I spent about 9 months at maintenance. I didn't really lose mass at all. Strength, yes, but not mass. Glad to hear you made it out of that. Add me if you would like support from someone who had to take a long term break!
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Been in the same place (twice) after some motorcycle accidents. Just go to physical therapy, and do everything they say. In a few months, you'll be fine and can get back to lifting, assuming they say it's okay.

Most of all, get a lawyer. I got screwed by the insurance companies the first time. The second time I not only got my surgery and physical therapy paid for, but I got a nice settlement. No one is looking out for you - GET A LAWYER.
  • jadebuilding
    jadebuilding Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks again, all! I do have a great chiropractor, so I am in good hands there. :3
    Been in the same place (twice) after some motorcycle accidents. Just go to physical therapy, and do everything they say. In a few months, you'll be fine and can get back to lifting, assuming they say it's okay.

Most of all, get a lawyer. I got screwed by the insurance companies the first time. The second time I not only got my surgery and physical therapy paid for, but I got a nice settlement. No one is looking out for you - GET A LAWYER.

I am!!! My chiropractor won't look at me unless I do have one, so I got on the ball with that pretty fast. :)
    I had a long illness and brain surgery last year. I spent about 9 months at maintenance. I didn't really lose mass at all. Strength, yes, but not mass. Glad to hear you made it out of that. Add me if you would like support from someone who had to take a long term break!

So glad to hear that you recovered from that! Wow! I will absolutely add you, thanks for the kind offer. :3