At 1200 calories/day, do you use your earned calories?

Options
I am currently 5'5" and 165 lbs. I work out almost everyday for an hour. Mainly cardio. I'm wondering how many of you stick to 1200 and how many of you use a few extra calories from your earned ones? Sometimes, I wonder if I should be eating more?? Thoughts??

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I started at 170 lbs at 5'3.5" and lost eating 1650 net ( I ate about 50-75 % of what MFP gave me for calorie burns). So, I definitely think you could eat more and lose weight at a decent rate. Here's some good links ♡

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Well at your stats, you're dieting wrong. At 5'7, my estimated maintenance for 155-160 is around 2400 based on working out (mostly weights) ~5 hours a week.

Change your settings to 1lb a week losses instead of 2lbs. then you'll actually find that your caloric deficit phase will be much more agreeable, and eat back most of the exercise calories.
  • keljot
    keljot Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help. At 43 years old, I'm finding it hard to lose weight so I'm afraid of eating too much. I've been known to eat over 3000 calories a day on most given days before starting MFP on Monday. Just trying to get my body figured out so I can get this weight off!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help. At 43 years old, I'm finding it hard to lose weight so I'm afraid of eating too much. I've been known to eat over 3000 calories a day on most given days before starting MFP on Monday. Just trying to get my body figured out so I can get this weight off!

I am going to be 42 shortly and I lose weight on 2k a day...mind you it's not 2lbs a week more like 1/4 a week on average..

To lose weight (mainly fat) you need a "reasonable" calorie deficit, to lose weight (fat and muscle) take an extreme calorie deficit. To know you are in a reasonable deficit you need to log accurately which means getting a kitchen scale to weigh portion of solid food and measuring liquids. sounds odd if you aren't used to it but trust me it works.

Your goal should be to be able eat as much food as you can and still lose a reasonable amount of weight...notice I keep saying reasonable.

Another thing is at our age bone and muscle health is too important...instead of doing just cardio try some resistence and/or strength training to help keep your muscle mass.

You only have aout 15lbs to lose so 1/2lb a week is a reasonable rate which is more sustainable...trust me...
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i'm 57, 5' 3 1/2" and lost about 1 pound per week eating1200 NET calories per day. i usually eat back about half my exercise calories. generally i eat something with lots of protein when i get hungry between meals.
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My net is higher. I eat my exercise calories. I can't imagine how vile life would be on 1200 minus exercise calories. I say eat! Your body will very soon be telling you to eat too if you don't!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm 46, 5'8" and I lose on 1800-2000 cals a day. Figure out your BMR and your TDEE and eat in between those numbers. I found the info, instructions and links in this topic to be very helpful in setting up my goals: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

I never NET below my BMR, and I know as long as I stay under my TDEE, I won't gain. It's worked great for me - I hit goal and have kept it off for over 2 years now.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I do, depending on the day. If I'm going out with friends I will eat them back, if it's a regular night in I don't usually bother. But my daily calories are a bit higher than yours, between 1400-1600.
  • crsawinton
    crsawinton Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I did sometimes, you can look at my old diaries back in Feb through April
  • Stella_Mayfair
    Stella_Mayfair Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I do, tis my treat. Unless I have way too many and too little time to eat them all
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    If you are not having a problem maintaining your workout intensity, then you don't need to be eating more.

That said, if you are working out as hard and often as you say, the odds are pretty good you're eating more than 1200 calories to begin with. I'd take a super close look at your calorie logging, just in case...
  • browneyes6082
    browneyes6082 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I always aim to eat back 50-75% of what I earn from my workouts. If I don't I find that I burn way less at the gym the next day. My diary is open to friends if anyone is curious how/what I eat.:)
  • keljot
    keljot Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I definitely want to be able to eat as much as possible. Otherwise, I'll never keep the weight off once I get there. I just get so confused on all of the different ways to figure daily calories. I am going to start eating back the majority of my earned calories and see if I still lose. I can always make adjustments based on what my body decides to do.