I'm new! - ish..

Options
Hey fittnesspal-ers,

I'm new to this site but not to dieting, or blogging. I've been on a weight loss "journey" that has taken me up and down and all over the scale and back for the past 6 years. So, what's my story? Shortly after graduating high school at 18 I decided that I was tired of being "chubby" and tired of hating my body. I am now 24 and still working my way there!! :)

I've sure learned a lot along the way though. When I first lost the bulk of my weight it was from major calorie restricting and cardio city! I decided to start running even though I HATED it, and lived on cheerios and baby carrots. When I was 19 I lost my hair to alopecia and had a major backslide. Ate my way back to near my original weight. About this time though I made friends with some pretty fit people and become really interested in fitness and strength. I started to read a lot of diet books and magazines and realized that this was something I was really interested in! Over the next couple years I brought my weight back down and got involved in weight lifting and obsessed with figure competitions and wanting to be a "strong" woman and not just a "skinny" one.

Unfortunately it wasn't as easy as knowing what to do. I am a total binge eater, food addict if you will. And when the going gets tough, I get eating. After getting into nursing school I got engaged and this past year I got married. I love my husband and I loved our wedding - but man was it stressful!! I went on a crash diet to fit into my dress and just about lost my mind trying to get everything done in time for the big day. As soon as it was over I went straight to full time clinical for school and my husband opened an electrical business (which he is running out of our 800square foot home!!). I spent most of the fall eating my feelings and when it came time to put away the scrubs and pull the school clothes back out, none of mine fit!! As of January 1st I am the heaviest I have been since I have owned a scale.

So, I've spent most of this month buckling down and I have been seeing some results. In 4 weeks I am down about 3.8lbs and I think i am getting closer to my summer time jeans. Unfortunately it was my birthday this last weekend and I choose to indulge in two days of eating wild (not my best choice).. Anyway..this is a long first post I know. But I'm hoping that making some friends on here and getting some support (read: accountability!) will be helpful for me to reach my goals.. And maybe i can even help some other people out there! I may suck at willpower but I'm pretty knowledgeable about the science behind it all..

I usually track my calories on dailyplate at livestrong.com because I've been doing it for years and I have the app on my phone. I'm going to try play around with this one a bit and see if I can make it work for me so that I'm not split between sites. :-)

If anyone read all the way through this.. thank you!
-e

Replies

• IndyRick
    IndyRick Posts: 172
    Options
    I read it all the way through. :) Welcome.....I used to do TDP also, but have found the support of people here to be much better. I love this site! Feel free to add me as a friend if you wish.
  • littlelioness
    Options
    Hey! I'm obsessed with food, too. Sometimes I wonder what it'd be like to live a dog's life and eat dog food (well not dog food, but the same food) every day. I think my life would either be so simplified and happier OR horrible because I wouldn't know what to do with myself!

Anyway...welcome-ish :)
  • shelbym2011
    Options
    Hi. I'm 18 years old now and about to graduate. I'm in the same boat you were! I'm tired of being the "chubby" one and feeling uncomfortable with my body. I've always been really active though (I've played competitive soccer my entire life, I run, I love the gym, etc.) so I know exercising isn't a problem for me but choosing the right foods is. I have no idea what a balanced meal is or how to eat healthy. I leave for college in the fall and I'm terrified that if I don't learn how to control myself now and make the right choices now I never will. Do you have any suggestions/tips/advice on how I can figure this out?
  • AshleyB1183
    Options
    HI!!!! Welcome. I have only been on here for 2 weeks but I love it. Everyone is so wonderful and full of support.
  • jill62
    jill62 Posts: 4
    Options
    I read through your whole post too. Very interesting, and very honest.
    I just heard about www.livestrong.com . I checked it out., the site looks more complicated, some things I liked,
    some things not. Guess its all what you get used too. And all in all, its doing the main thing. EATING LESS, MOVING MORE THEORY that matters. Both will make us where we want to be.
    I have been working with MFP for 2 weeks. dropped 3 pds. I know , not alot, but it feels like a start to just see the scale move down.
    I know its mostly due to getting myself to exercise, and get the calories and metabolism working again, Weekends are harder.. I give myself some slack on Sat and Sun. I want to make changes, but doing it slowly seems healthier, and I dont feel like I am depriving myself .. iT ALL PORTION CONTROL... THATS THE BEST PART,
    I wish you the best of luck, and feel free to add me~~~
  • Sohnsearae
    Options
    Hello and Welcome. I too read all the way through and would love to help support you on your journey and hope that you too can support me. =o) I'll send the friend request!