Kettlebells for success

Options
I am having great success with kettlebells. They have been an effective tool for increasing my functional strength and burning fat at the same time. Lately, I have been blending kettlebell exercises with bodyweight exercises into my workouts. I have also begun to utilize a 100 lb sandbag in my workouts. If you are interested in sharing ideas for workouts, exercises, etc using kettlebells, hit me up.

Replies

• jlsironen
    jlsironen Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm so glad to see someone else utilizing kettlebells! If you want some ideas of more ways to incorporate it I strongly strongly suggest checking out www.crossfit.com There you find a local crossfit box in your area. If you're into strength and all that comes with it, that is the way to go! I think you'll like it a lot. It's like a personal training session every time you go, and people involved are always 100% committed and will push and help you along your path. It's awesome :)

Hope this helps and good luck!
    :)
    Jenni
  • strongdog68
    Options
    Thanks for idea. I've actually looked into CrossfFit on line and even watched some related videos on YouTube. I found the link on the Underground Strength Coach web site, but I did not see if there was a CrossFit gym in my area. Thanks for the idea.
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Here is an excerpt from my Muscle & Fitness HERS magazine about Kettlebells! I am going to have to learn to use them!

Kettlebells

*Work your WHOLE body!

*Burn a whopping 1,212 calories in an hour!!

*It also combines strength and cardio

*Too often we compartmentalize our training into lifting weights, doing cardio, or stretching. Kettleball training integrates all your fitness goals into one intense, exhilarating session.

In a study done by the American Council on Exercise, subjects performed 15 seconds of kettlebell snatched followed by 15 seconds of rest for a total of 20 minutes.
    They trained both aerobic (cardio) and anerobic (power) systems at the same time and burned nearly as many calories as running a SIX-MINUTE MILE!!!

Sounds like a winner if I've ever seen one.

Now I need to get my butt down to the gym & have a trainer instruct me on how to use them!

-Chancy
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    You will find quite a few people on here who like to use kettlebells! I actually really only use them with follow-along dvds though. I like Art of Strength Newport alot...it combines body weight w/kbells. I also like Atletica & Lauren Brooks for the same reason.

I've been thinking of getting a sandbag here recently. I like the website bodyrock.tv & she uses a sandbag ALOT. Right now I sub in my kettlebell, but obviously that's not the same thing.

I notice you're from TN? Howdy neighbor!! :flowerforyou:
  • strongdog68
    Options
    Lauren Brooks is great. She has great ideas for utilizing multiple KB exercises together in complexes. IF you look her videos up on YouTube, you can get some great ideas for structuring home workouts and get good demos on how to perform the various exercises correctly. In fact, she is one of the best at explaining/demonstrating proper technique.

I made my sandbag from an army duffel bag I bought at a surplus store. They had several sizes at good prices, and they are durable. You can find a lot of ideas for making inexpensive ones by doing a simple web search. Unless you are going for pure strength, I would suggest starting at a somewhat lighter weight bag. My first one was 100 lbs. It is great for developing pure strength, but I am going to add a 50 and a 75 for more cardio/muscle endurance type work and extended core exercises.

Good to hear from a neighbor!
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Lauren Brooks is great. She has great ideas for utilizing multiple KB exercises together in complexes. IF you look her videos up on YouTube, you can get some great ideas for structuring home workouts and get good demos on how to perform the various exercises correctly. In fact, she is one of the best at explaining/demonstrating proper technique.

I made my sandbag from an army duffel bag I bought at a surplus store. They had several sizes at good prices, and they are durable. You can find a lot of ideas for making inexpensive ones by doing a simple web search. Unless you are going for pure strength, I would suggest starting at a somewhat lighter weight bag. My first one was 100 lbs. It is great for developing pure strength, but I am going to add a 50 and a 75 for more cardio/muscle endurance type work and extended core exercises.

Good to hear from a neighbor!

Great idea to make your own sandbag!! I would want more like just 30 pounds at most I think? I would want it more for endurance type stuff. So, did you make little bags of sand to then put inside the duffel bag? hummmmm something to think about.

I live just south of Nashville. I realized I didn't say where I live! :blushing:
  • strongdog68
    Options
    I used contractor bags for mine, but I have directions to make them with 5 lb ziploc bags. You would have to order these heavy duty bags on-line, but it would allow you to change the weight when you wanted/needed. You could even use smaller canvas gym bag to make a smaller 30 lb bag. I will try to send the directions to you.