Ankle pain

Options
jillshadow
jillshadow Posts: 76 Member
Is it normal to have a bunch of pain when walking? I am 255 lbs and never did too much walking.I know that I need to take it slow, but at first when I started walking about 80 minutes at at time it was no big deal I didn't have a problem.. About 9 days into this though its starting to hurt. Now that I am walking more I have extreme pain in my ankles that is what I think would feel like a knife being driven through. I usually have a high pain tolerance but this is so bad it brings a tear to my eye and I become nauseous. Does this get any better after a while or am I stuck with this until I lose enough weight? Is this just "feeling the burn"? How long should I rest before trying walking a bit again? Do I need to see a doctor about this?

Replies

• paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    You don't go from 0 to 80 all at once. Stop and give ankle time to recover then start out at 5-10 minutes and build up.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You probably should see a doctor.

No, it's normal for ankles to hurt when walking.

It is common for obese people to have foot and ankle problems. The feet and ankles are under a lot of stress, carrying all that weight and absorbing the shocks all the time,

You might be better off trying something like cycling or something really low-impact like swimming. Swimming is the best exercise, IMO. You burn more calories swimming than anything I can think of. You get cardio and resistance. All your muscles get toned up and although your heart is working, you don't feel hot and sweaty while you do it. And, best of all, the fat can't hurt you there, like it can with cycling or running. The fat is no problem at all.

So, consider swimming. If you don't know how, you can learn. If you don't like how you look, get a one-piece jogger and get over yourself. :) You'll look better soon enough!

Sit-ups / stomach crunches. Leg lifts. Any movement helps!

Weight lifting. I hate it, but it can be done sitting down and will tone those muscles. Any activity helps to burn calories, including the weight lifting.

But, yeah, see a doctor about the ankles.

Good luck!
  • kristijohnson1
    kristijohnson1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You may have overdone it. Are you trying to walk 80 minutes every day right off the bat? I have frequent pain in knees and ankles if I overdo even just walking. I would rest my legs for a couple of days and see if a shorter walk is okay, and then build back up.

Also there is a concept I have just learned from TrailJournals.com; the zero day. When hikers are out on long distance hikes they will take a zero day (zero trail miles hiked) every few days to let their bodies heal and get ready for the next stretch. I find that both my walking and my tracking get easier to cope with when I utilize this strategy.

If rest and recuperation don't clear it up, definitely see the doctor.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Yup, too much too soon. You'll feel fine the first week or two but the problem is you're building a repetitive use injury. Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate (rice). Take some tylenol or similar for the pain and swelling if needed and take a break from the walking. Once you feel better, give it at least two more days before you try walking again. Start with just ten minutes and build from there. Give your bones muscles and tendons a chance to strengthen or this will just keep happening.
  • jillshadow
    jillshadow Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I guess I just have too much enthusiasm. I realize that I can do something about my weight and succeed and I got excited and wanted to do everything at once. Mistake. I am a little bit disappointed with myself but I am not going to let that stop me.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    They sell ankle braces at most drugstores and Wal-Mart and K-Mart too that will help support and protect your ankles.

You can cut back, every other day or just go for shorter time... if you stop for more than a couple days you'll go through it again until you lose more weight.

walk on the road (pavement) when you can SAFELY face the traffic so you see them coming your way... pavement is softer, if gives where cement of the sidewalks do not and increase your pain.

You can try doing 2 -4 reps of 15 minute walks in your house, just walk non-stop around from room to room...it works!

Walking in water/pool works too I started most all my workouts in the pool... no pain during or after!

If things don't help see your Dr.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I guess I just have too much enthusiasm. I realize that I can do something about my weight and succeed and I got excited and wanted to do everything at once. Mistake. I am a little bit disappointed with myself but I am not going to let that stop me.

This is nothing to feel bad about. I've been an athlete most of my life and I CONSTANTLY make this mistake, and then end up kicking myself for it later because I'm injured and having to take time off. Hence why I'm qualified to advise on this issue...:laugh:
  • Darcy011
    Darcy011 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think it goes with the process, it's no different then any other joint, bone or muscle when you start working them harder. My ankles used to swell and hurt a lot, I found when I got some decent runners with good support it helped.
  • 3athlt
    3athlt Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    There's been some good advice given already. I've had seven foot/ankle surgeries and believe me when I say it's no fun. Back off like the others have said, and always follow the RICE treatment as already mentioned. When the pain seems to have subsided, start off again, maybe only at 20 minutes/day and go from there. I never believe that you should increase your weekly mileage/time by more than 10% on any given week. But, if your pain persists definitely see a doctor. Good luck!
  • karenh311
    karenh311 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have a similar problem with the pain being in the front of my ankle not the sides.went to an osteopath and she said my ankle had slipped forward in the socket i'm guessing due to weak ligaments.It doesn't affect me when walking only when I run which is really annoying because I really want to run for the first time in years.
  • kmsnyg
    kmsnyg Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Also check your sneakers.

I was having knee and ankle pain because I have flat feet so I was over pronating when I walked ( my inside aspect of my foot would roll in). Got fitted with appropriate sneakers--no more pain!
  • mandimahoney5
    Options
    I have ran in to the same situation. 2 30 minute walk sessions doing 2.5 miles a day. My ankles feel bloated, and uncomfortable hurting a little. I figured it was I am out of shape.

I was advised to get new shoes. My sister whom is a crazy fitness person with no body fat and runs every day directed me to the sketchers walking shoes that have memory form in them.
    I am waiting on them to be delivered now. I am hoping they help
  • TXCruiseGal
    TXCruiseGal Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm experiencing this similar pain right now. Because I've had 2 previous surgeries on this particular ankle, I decided to have a doctor check it out... turns out I have tendonitis.

A little bit of rest and some really good achilles stretches are helping get it back into shape.

Follow the advice you've been given here already. If that doesn't help, definitely see a doctor. A simple xray can rule out anything more serious!

Ann
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to reiterate all the good advice. It is important to take rest days - you don't have to be completely inactive but do something different and lowkey, like maybe go for a relaxing swim or just get a nice stretch in. I also think it could have to do with your sneakers. Make sure you get a pair that has sufficient support and replace more often than you used to as you're putting a lot more miles on them these days. Maybe start with a full shoe insert (those little ones are useless iMHO as they can shift) - you can find them at sporting good stores for around $30 (cheaper than a new pair of good sneakers). A flexible ankle support might be a good idea for a while too. Don't wear it all the time but wear it when you walk so your joints get that extra support.

IN the meantime, let your ankles rest and recover and when you start feeling better, take it easy at first. I know it can be tough but if you want to stay active you have to keep things like that in mind.

FYI, "the burn" is muscular, not in the joints. There might be some joint stiffness or soreness from working out but serious joint pain is not "the burn", it's something more serious that needs attention. I'd try resting it first but if you're still in a lot of pain by this time next week, you should definitely go see your doctor.
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    First- take it easy! Severe pain = bad. Second- You may want to check with your doctor to rule out a stress fracture. For me, my shoes were to blame. I bought a new pair of New Balance that hit right at my ankle bone, and after a week I was in a doctor's office. (I didn't realize it was my shoes.) After I replaced them with really low-top Skechers, my ankle got better.
    In the meantime; ice packs, elevation, and rest!
    (And if you can get a hold of one- an e-stim unit!)
    When you feel better, be sure to stretch before and after, and start slow.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    If you can find somewhere to do a gait analysis that could help too. They will recommend shoes and point out any issues. I agree with others you probably just overdid it.