Decent Beer

Options
So, I'll be headed to the beach this weekend for one last hoorah before the end of the summer. Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent tasting beer that won't throw off my calorie intake (too much)? I know that some beers are regional, so I'm looking for something available in NH/MA area.

Thanks!

Replies

• dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Not sure what types of beer you like but Sam Adams is local to the NH/MA area and offers a decent light beer. Personally I'd rather grab a 6 pack from a local brewery whether it impact my calories or not and just have 1-2 each day of vacation. Of course I'm also willing to take a couple of extra walks in the village, town, beach or wherever I happen to be.

Sea Dog brewery in Maine has some tasty stuff too and you could probably find it without much issue in the NH/MA area.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    i'd just drink what you like. I don't think there is that much difference in calories, although there maybe between lite beer and regular

They have beers that are significantly lower in calories, but they are also significantly lower in alcohol %. So it might end up a wash if your drinking for the effect.

if your just drinking to enjoy the taste then i'd definetly suggest to drink what you like, since you wont be having that many
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    dark beers are generally lower-calorie than light, though I'm not sure you want to be knocking back Guinness at the beach.

You could go with one of those awful 64-calorie beers, but the alcohol content is very low. You'd be better off drinking a few of something good.

http://getdrunknotfat.com/
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Guinness is relatively low in cals; also a Sam Adams, and good ale(regional?) national like Sierra Nevada, Yuengling Lager is great for the pre-nap beach beer, post volleyball Corona, or Dos Equis. After some wave riding maybe a Harp. A quick jog up the boardwalk and back try an Appalachian Brewing Co Water Gap Wheat. Rainy day. . . .definitely 1 or 3 Tripels. . . .maybe a Chimay. Well, obviously I have a problem. So many damn beach activities!
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    i'd just drink what you like. I don't think there is that much difference in calories, although there maybe between lite beer and regular

They have beers that are significantly lower in calories, but they are also significantly lower in alcohol %. So it might end up a wash if your drinking for the effect.

if your just drinking to enjoy the taste then i'd definetly suggest to drink what you like, since you wont be having that many

Agreed. Drink what you like. The point is to enjoy it. If the calories really bother you, then save back a few by eating a lighter breakfast/lunch.

I just got back from 4-day vacation. I didn't track a thing - just ate whatever I felt like, drank the beers. But the difference was, I didn't go overboard. I chose salads instead of fries, smaller cuts of meat, and I drank 1 or 2 beers instead of 4 or 5. I didn't gain a single pound. To me, that was perfect.

Enjoy your day. Drink the beers. It's one day.
  • Grumpy311mfp
    Options
    Bud Select is my normal lager choice. 99 cals, with acceptable taste. I know it's not a real beer, but if you are going to indulge in more than one or two, it helps keep the count down.
  • AdieEve
    AdieEve Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    dark beers are generally lower-calorie than light, though I'm not sure you want to be knocking back Guinness at the beach.

You could go with one of those awful 64-calorie beers, but the alcohol content is very low. You'd be better off drinking a few of something good.

http://getdrunknotfat.com/

So not true about dark versus light beer. Alcohol percentage is what leads to high calorie counts. Lower alcohol percent equals lower calories. Many dark beers are 6%+ and therefore more calorie dense. Likewise with hoppy beers.

Anyway, OP, there's this: http://www.menshealth.com/jimmy-bartender/low-cal-beers-dont-suck
  • Scots_Lenny
    Options
    Guinness, any dark German or Belgian beers, they taste feckin good too...like a previous post if you drink to enjoy and not to get rat arsed then it shouldn't matter
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    guiness is good but it's a tough beer to drink if you're going for volume.

pilsners are good for volume (pilsner urquell, heineken, radeberger, radegast, stella artois are some of my faves that come in bottles).

sam adams has some good options. if you can find that cherry wheat, then try it! it's so good
  • steveyinasia
    steveyinasia Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    So, I'll be headed to the beach this weekend for one last hoorah before the end of the summer. Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent tasting beer that won't throw off my calorie intake (too much)? I know that some beers are regional, so I'm looking for something available in NH/MA area.

Thanks!

If you can get in in your location, try San Miguel Light, it is not light in alcohol it is light in carbs....only 70 calories per 330ml
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    All my fave's are Asian (and one Italian)

SInga - Thai

Tiger - Singapore

Asahi - Japan

Tsing Tao - China

They're pretty widely available in the UK, but not sure about elsewhere. The Italian beer is Peroni.
  • BobOki
    BobOki Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I would roll with Sam Adams Lite or Ying Ling lite. Both of them are lite beers, decently low cals 119/99 respectively and still save some flavor to them. My fav Japanese beer is Ichiban at 145 cals.

That said, if it is last hoorah then just go enjoy yourself. It is ok to have a cheat day every now and again, as long as you do not do it often.
  • RoosterB
    RoosterB Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Guinness, any dark German or Belgian beers, they taste feckin good too...like a previous post if you drink to enjoy and not to get rat arsed then it shouldn't matter

But rat arsed is ok too. It's only one weekend and it's vacation. Worry about it when you get back!
  • laurenjill
    laurenjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Ratebeer has a search function that you can use to locate local breweries, including style of beer.
    http://www.ratebeer.com/search.php
  • Beata375
    Beata375 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this would interest you, but I'm currently in LOVE with the Del's Narragaset Summer Shandy. So light & yummy. Perfect beach/summer beer :)

Its 150 cals for 16 oz can & 5% alc
  • Darcy011
    Darcy011 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Molson Canadian 67 is a great beer from the Coors brewing company, only 67 calories and should be available in NH
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I drink Bass Ale and Shiner Bock
  • Zerodette
    Zerodette Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Summer = witbier. Actually all seasons = witbier. You can get some Allagash White, right? Enjoy, responsibly.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Here's a beer calorie chart. It's an incomplete list, but you still may find it useful.

http://www.realbeer.com/edu/health/calories.php

I prefer Shiner Bock.