French toast recipe?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I've been craving some... Anyone got a recipe for some good, filling, not calorie-crazy French toast?

Replies

• Grinb
    Grinb Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Use 2 slices of 35 bread, 1 serving of egg beaters, .5 teaspoon of vanilla extract. .5 teaspoon of cinnamon (more if you'd like) a packet of truvia. mix all that up, dip bread in, place in heated skillet cook, enjoy! I use sugar free syrup and it all comes in at around 160 cals
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Bump.. because I've been working on one myself. So far I use 2 slices whole wheat, serving egg whites ( I use the liquid kind), 1/2 serving almonds crushed up, roughly 1/2 tsp or less of cinnamon and vanilla. I spread with 1 tbsp. of bama jelly ( 50 calories ). Not bad. Pretty filling. Need to look into low calorie syrup.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I have been craving this like nobody's business! My biggest problem is the bread; is regular sliced okay? Because all the fancy recipe websites say that's a big no no, and you need to use thick bread/Texas Toast/ect.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's better with Challah, to be honest, or the Pepperidge Farm swirl breads, but then you have a whole loaf to eat... but otherwise yes thick bread will be better.

Now I just mix 1/4 cup of milk with one egg and can dip 3-4 slices in there easily. No vanilla or sugar. I just add syrup after (or nutella, or I make a ricotta/vanilla/sugar mix and put that on top).
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating French toast on regular sliced bread myself. Just don't let bread sit in egg mixture too long or bread can fall apart.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I would just do it with Healthy Life Wheat bread, a splash of soy or almond milk and an egg. Parkay spray butter and sugar free syrup. French toast at less than 150 calories.
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    whatever bread you choose, eggs, onion powder and a little milk.

sounds strange but it's awesome.
  • datoyota
    datoyota Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    try baking it - I prepare mine the night before and slide it into the oven in the morning

Delicious!
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    My local store doesn't carry challah...but I did see texas toast in stock. I think I'll try that!
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    try baking it - I prepare mine the night before and slide it into the oven in the morning

Delicious!

Wouldn't the bread get soggy from the milk/egg?