Need ideas for milestone rewards

Options

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I bought myself a Pandora bracelet and for every 3kg (7lb) I lose, I add a bead/charm. I now have 12 charms on it and I'm 1kg away from adding my next charm. Every time I feel negative about myself or that I haven't achieved much, I count the beads on my bracelet. By the time I reach my goal weight, my bracelet will be full (which is why I worked it out to be split up into 3kg goals).

When I hit my halfway goal I bought myself a pretty butterfly pendant.

That is a really cute idea!

Also look at a Trollbeads, x by a Trollbeads, thomas Sabo charms and Thomas Sabo karma beads
  • MsDellyssa
    MsDellyssa Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I bought myself a Pandora bracelet and for every 3kg (7lb) I lose, I add a bead/charm. I now have 12 charms on it and I'm 1kg away from adding my next charm. Every time I feel negative about myself or that I haven't achieved much, I count the beads on my bracelet. By the time I reach my goal weight, my bracelet will be full (which is why I worked it out to be split up into 3kg goals).

When I hit my halfway goal I bought myself a pretty butterfly pendant.

That is a really cute idea!

Also look at a Trollbeads, x by a Trollbeads, thomas Sabo charms and Thomas Sabo karma beads

I love this idea. I can't wear the bracelet (for some reason having something bumpy on my wrist drives me nuts no clue why) BUT I did find on Amazon they had the Pandora/Troll Bead Keychain. I think this is Brilliant. I can clip it to me with a pretty broach, or I could just clip it on my laptop when I'm doing my fitness videos. I need something to look at that isn't a human that I'm bugging for reassurance. I can look at that and reassure myself. (yeah I'm not real good in the self esteem dept even though my husband is amazing with his patience, his love, and telling me all the time how brilliant I am)

I'm doing mine at a 20 lb goal each time. I have a lot to lose and I'm taking my time, so there is no rush to save up money for these things.
  • carolineat111
    carolineat111 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I usually buy myself something related to the gym (a new gym bag, new shoes, an outfit, etc).
  • Reneesjourney2bfit
    Reneesjourney2bfit Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm also a mom..and usually spend no money on myself...(I think all moms are this way). I believe in rewarding yourself...why not you worked hard to change your life...why shouldn't you treat yourself. We do everything for our family..everyday!! Why shouldn't we spoil ourselves once in a while?? No shame! I have a ton of weight to lose so my list is quite long. We are talking over 200lbs of weight...lots and lots of hard work to take control of our lives. I've already lost 29 lbs before MFP and after.

25 lbs - Fitbit - Got - (Love it)
    50 lbs - New sports bra
    75 lbs - New shoes
    100 lbs - All over body message (never had one)
    150 lbs - A day at the spa (facial and everything)
    200 lbs - A trip to Disney World (been promising my son for years...but because of my weight and not being able to walk around or go on rides...we have never gone. Plus, we also have a promise that we are going to be in our (2 year goal) first Marathon 5K at Disney World
    -Husband also promised me a Jeep wrangler 4x4 to take the top off and have fun. (used of course) We don't have tons of money...he would trade or sell his truck to get me that wrangler.
    215 lbs - New clothes...selling my big clothes on ebay, using the money and getting smaller clothes...off the rack.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Another idea I just thought of (maybe helpful for the other moms) - pay a babysitter to come from Saturday from 9 - 5 so I can have a full-day activity with my husband. When the kids are both away (e.g. at camp) we love to do active stuff like go for a looooooong bike ride, a day kayaking, or even go hiking with no one whining and clamoring for snacks (except me!) Paying someone when neither of us is working is kind of unheard of.

I have a project management mindset about this, so part of my plan is to WRITE DOWN my milestones, including how I mark the achievements. Having concrete goals, criteria for success, and a maintenance plan is what will make this time different from the past.
  • datoyota
    datoyota Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Love this idea!
  • f0r54ken
    f0r54ken Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Lol sounds stupid, But I'll go flirt with someone when I feel good about the weight i've lost.
  • Running_From_Zombies
    Options
    My feet take a beating from running so my first reward is a pedicure to try and make them look a little more presentable, but no doubt they will go back to looking like "runners feet" pretty quickly ????
    Next milestone is new running shoes!

I like the idea of rewards as you go, it keeps the motivation.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Ooh! I did this! I'm such a brat, I have mine set for every 5 pounds. When I was setting mine up I had to think about who I want to be and who I am outside of food. I want to learn how to paint and sew. I want to be well read. I want to be the type of person who goes on adventures to new hiking spots or find a pretty place by the river. Every 5 I would reward myself with something I normally wouldn't buy myself. I got a water color set, a cute skirt, a day date to explore a new trail.

For me it was about getting away from my old habits of sitting at home and watching netflix and becoming the person that I want to become. I'm a mom too and I know that it's hard to think outside of being a mom, but it was fun rediscovering myself.

REALLY LOVE THIS IDEA! I've been playing around with the idea of rewards and I find that I'm a lot like a previous poster who said she will just buy herself stuff as she goes… doesn't feel the need to reward herself. But I've wanted to do *something*. So, I really love this idea of figuring out who I want to be and what I want my life to look like as a thinner/healthier person. And rewarding myself with those types of things.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I'm saving up my desire for rewards to go on a splurge at Athleta when I can fit into their next size down (or when I wear holes in my current workout clothes, whichever comes first).

Nice stuff but super-pricey!

You could reward yourself with a month of yoga at a yoga studio (so much nicer than a regular gym yoga program), or a massage, or a pedicure (as one runner mentioned), or a visit to a hot-tub place (if you have something like that in your area).

You could also look into any local city college or junior college to see if they have community classes in art, painting, flower arranging, writing memoirs, whatever latent talents you'd like to develop. Those classes are usually a one-shot weekend day or a short series of 3-4 Saturdays.
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I've never understood this need to give yourself little rewards. For one thing, I'm the one buying the rewards so I don't see how that is a reward. Secondly, I am a worthy person. . . doing something kind for myself or treating myself is something I deserve every day. Finally, external rewards are not very effective motivators.

I lost and maintained my weight because I want to be healthy and live a long time. That's plenty rewarding.

THIS.

I tried it once. I said I'd get a cool nail polish when I hit a certain goal, but then I was stuck in a plateau and became obsessed about how I can't get the nail polish. And I started resenting the whole idea, like why do I need to wait around so long for a flippin' $4 nail polish?

If you feel the need to have rewards for progress, I think you need to dig deeper into more powerful motivations.
  • 19sherry57
    19sherry57 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I didn't reward until 30lbs and I brought my birthday stone ring for $30. When I hit 50lbs. I went and highlighted my hair for $50. Next goal will be $75 and I haven't decided what to do for that but I plan on spending $75. Good luck.
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I just want to add that I totally think we should be rewarding ourselves. It's more about tying it to weight loss milestones that we have no control over that is just a recipe for frustration from my experience.
    I would probably tie rewards to things like exercise achievements or having x good days in a row, or other NSV's that I have control over actually obtaining.

I like the idea of rewarding yourself with sport gear, because that's just a double whammy. You get something new that also motivates you, like new yoga pants or whatever. I also really like the idea of rewarding yourself with activities that take you away from food. Maybe a bike rental for a day, or getting a new book and reading it in a park (while the weather permits).
  • McMandy17
    McMandy17 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Anything that makes you look or feel good! I will usually opt for a fresh haircut/color, makeup, or a new outfit. Something else I've done is splurge for a book I've been wanting and a bottle of wine and enjoy a nice bubble bath. Just have fun with it! I have 3 kids and I've learned that taking care of myself makes me happy which makes my family happy as well. :happy:
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    I have some written down!

Bath and Body Works 3 wick candles
    $20 pedis/manis
    A yoga mat
    Get my eyebrows done professionally
    Hair highlights (for a bigger milestone)
    Crest white strips
    New exercise gear like shoes, shirts, shorts, etc.
    Cute undies
    A new dress
    A massage
    Try a new fun activity - wall climbing, camping trip, hiking trip, exercise class type
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I've never understood this need to give yourself little rewards. For one thing, I'm the one buying the rewards so I don't see how that is a reward. Secondly, I am a worthy person. . . doing something kind for myself or treating myself is something I deserve every day. Finally, external rewards are not very effective motivators.

I lost and maintained my weight because I want to be healthy and live a long time. That's plenty rewarding.

gfy

lol, edit to clarify this is good for you, not, something else. ha ha, course, they basically say the same thing.
  • 2lovable2miss
    2lovable2miss Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i reach 50 pound lost im going to treat my self to Victoria secret panties and bras. then for 100 im going to get hair extensions because by then my hair will be long enough for them
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I just want to add that I totally think we should be rewarding ourselves. It's more about tying it to weight loss milestones that we have no control over that is just a recipe for frustration from my experience.
    That's the whole premise: we do have control over our eating & exercise, which is how we control our weight.

I've been stuck about 1 lb from being 50 lb down for a week now, and it's frustrating, but I'm trying to be patient & I know that if I continue to eat at a calorie deficit I'll get there, and beyond.

I'm planning to make a T-shirt that says "I've lost" and then write in 10 lb (cross it out), 20 lb (cross it out), 30 lb (cross it out), etc. until I get to whatever my current 10-lb increment is. It will be an ongoing reward, motivational for me and hopefully show other people that it is possible to lose weight, maybe spark some conversations.

At about 40 lb down, I got new bras, because none of my old ones fit & that isn't something I'm able to take in (as I do my pants). Looking forward to having to do that again probably by next spring. And when I get to my goal, I'll get a couple pretty sets.

Smaller rewards? Coloring my hair, a picnic in a state park, a book, a guilt-free fabric shopping splurge :smile:
  • MsDellyssa
    MsDellyssa Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm also a mom..and usually spend no money on myself...(I think all moms are this way). I believe in rewarding yourself...why not you worked hard to change your life...why shouldn't you treat yourself. We do everything for our family..everyday!! Why shouldn't we spoil ourselves once in a while?? No shame! I have a ton of weight to lose so my list is quite long. We are talking over 200lbs of weight...lots and lots of hard work to take control of our lives. I've already lost 29 lbs before MFP and after.

25 lbs - Fitbit - Got - (Love it)
    50 lbs - New sports bra
    75 lbs - New shoes
    100 lbs - All over body message (never had one)
    150 lbs - A day at the spa (facial and everything)
    200 lbs - A trip to Disney World (been promising my son for years...but because of my weight and not being able to walk around or go on rides...we have never gone. Plus, we also have a promise that we are going to be in our (2 year goal) first Marathon 5K at Disney World
    -Husband also promised me a Jeep wrangler 4x4 to take the top off and have fun. (used of course) We don't have tons of money...he would trade or sell his truck to get me that wrangler.
    215 lbs - New clothes...selling my big clothes on ebay, using the money and getting smaller clothes...off the rack.

I too have a fitbit.
    Got the Enell sports bra (best thing I ever did btw)
    I get new shoes once ever couple of yrs this last one about 3 months ago.

Every 20 lbs I decided I was going to get the pandora/troll beads and put them on a key chain that I can clip to my laptop while I'm doing my exercise videos from liveexercise on youtube.

No idea what I want to do when I lose 100 lbs or 150 lbs. Haven't figured it out yet.
    When I drop 200 lbs I do want a spa day. Never was the type to go to Disney.

Those are my plans, so far everything is going to plan.