Hello! I'm too old for yoyoing!

Options
Hi my name is Susan. I will be 52 in a couple of months. I am an preacher and outreach minister to elderly and shut ins in group/nursing homes. :heart: I also demo dog food for Earthborne Holistic every Saturday which makes my gas money. I have been married to Marc for 30 years this year. We have four small dogs and a bird. They are our kids. I am an animal lover. nature lover. I used to love riding my orange Trek bike...... I have fibro myalgia and have started over too many times. I have gained and lost 50 plus pounds through periods of healthy eating and exercise then being almost almost sedentary) from breaking both my feet, one at a time (LOL) at different times, having surgery on my wrist for crushed cartilage and a torn ligament, then on the other wrist for a bone spur, Fibro pain, pneumonia, 26 food allergies, asthma, etc. I used to ride my bike for hours and wore a size 9. Now I have yoyoed again to a size 20. :sad: I am about to go back to school for ministry and I want to be able to move without so much pain and feel better (and not be ashamed of my size/find clothes to fit so i don't look like I'm wearing a rumpled sack....) :blushing: but also I don't want to exercise hours and hours. Unless I feel like a long bike ride but I can't even get on there right now....:grumble: so I am walking on the elliptical to virtual hikes. :ohwell: At least I have started something again.

Replies

• xShreddx
    xShreddx Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I hear ya on the yo-yo effect. What type of ministry are you going to school for?
  • HappyTrails7
    HappyTrails7 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the forum.

Which virtual hikes do you use?
  • Susanlove316
    Susanlove316 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hello, xShreddx. :) I am going to a ministry school to strengthen my weak areas. I need to become stronger in Old Testament studies, among other things. I have been outreach for 7 years and now I keep finding myself in other areas. One of which is being part of a team ministry at an old church that had not been used for years. We get campers, hikers, people with their dogs, from a state forest coming in, along with people who can't get to a morning service. I preach in different churches, get asked to help in all kinds of things, plus I really want to take a mission trip someday, (another reason to get healthy and lose weight.) I want to take classes in apologetics, conflict management, church building, and other practical things like that because I keep finding myself in new areas and new places!
  • Susanlove316
    Options
    Hi Happy Trails! We have
    Virtual Active - American Northeast Hike which has Acadia National Park in Maine and Niagara Falls. We love it. We also have Singapore Gardens at Night Virtual Walks - Gardens at Night for indoor walking, treadmill and cycling workouts (2013) We just ordered more because we like them so much and we found a recumbent bike for $10 at the Goodwill Store! So now we can switch between the elliptical and the bike. My husband is from England so he thought this one sounded great: Cotswold Villages Virtual Walk for Treadmills - Volume 1 (2008)

We ordered two more for variety, Fitness Journeys - Natural Scenery, for indoor walking, treadmill and cycling workouts (2011) which has many different types of scenery. We have yet to get it in the mail though and also this one, Fitness Journeys - Tropical Scenery 1, for indoor walking, treadmill and cycling workouts (2010) We actually enjoy exercising to these together. That never happened before!:laugh:
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    48 year old yo-yo dieter here.....I want this to be the last time!
  • Susanlove316
    Options
    Amen to that!
  • katiegrieder
    Options
    I don't know if you are interested in something like this but my husband bought me a WiiU (Nintendo) with Zumba World Fitness and WiiFitU. The games are both customizable so if you are in an 'Eye of The Tiger' mood lol you can do harder stuff or if you want to just move (but nothing strenuous) you can do that too.

WiiFitU has everything-strength training, yoga, dance, games...Some of the games seem like silly fun but part of the appeal is that you WANT to do it everyday and so it makes it a lot easier to get in that daily fitness. I started with the WiiU and it got me back into the groove and this week was the first time I managed to go all week. Usually I would go a few days burn out and then come back in a month. =/ I love to do body weight exercises and I have a bunch of dance DVDs (Crunch and Quicktime--which are also somewhat customizable. All the segments are divided up into 10 minutes and there are usually 3 so you can decide how long you want to go) but I was VERY out of shape and struggled (even chalked up a few minor injuries) but after playing the Wii for awhile I tried the exercises again and found that I was MUCH better at them (better coordination, better strength) and so I was able to ENJOY working out. Which of course led me to having the motivation to do them everyday. Also, another thing I like about WiiFit is that as you progress in the games it opens up more games and gives you special challenges.

Zumba is, of course, all dance but it's really fun and the time flies! Like I said, you can pick and choose what you want to do on these so you aren't set on just doing the one thing every time. You have options of full classes (preset music listings of 20 min, 40 min and 60 min) or you can play songs one by one or even make your own list.

I've struggled for a long time with developing good habits so for me anything that I can adjust is perfect because, for me, it's all about the little things. Some of the programs I've tried (and failed) before were all or nothing. You do this 45 minute DVD or you do nothing. That sort of thing. So I found it very beneficial that I could just do something small as long as I was doing SOMETHING. 10 minutes might not seem like a lot but even if I do JUST 10 minutes every day that's 50-60 minutes of workout time every week I normally wouldn't do. Or sometimes I would do a whole DVD and divide it up through the day. Or I would run on the Wii while I watched TV.

Hopefully all this gave you some good ideas or the motivation to keep on keeping on! =)

*I do not work for Nintendo even though it sure sounds like it. lol
  • Susanlove316
    Options
    katiegrieder, I don't know how I missed this post but thank you! I had actually been thinking about a wii. The cost is a bit much right now but maybe for Christmas. AND the post below where I said "amen to that" wasn't in response to you! LOL It looks like you said, "I don't work for Nintendo even though it sounds like it " and I said "Amen to that! LOL X D
  • radimage
    radimage Posts: 99
    Options
    Welcome, and good luck.

Quite a story!
  • judeveg
    judeveg Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    45 year old yo yo er lost 3 stone/42 pounds in 3 months 10 years ago then put it all and more back on. this tine it is staying offfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.