Confused about rice....

Options
On the package it says 170 calories for 1/4 cup. But is that cooked or uncooked?? That seems awful high for that little of cooked rice. It does not specify.

Replies

• j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    My guess is uncooked.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,568 Member
    Options
    That is uncooked.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It has to be cooked. Who the hell eats half a cup of uncooked rice? I'm not even sure how that would digest properly.

I don't know, though. I just always assumed it was for cooked.

Most packages have a phone number you can call to ask about that stuff. :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It's for uncooked. You weigh it uncooked.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    It's for uncooked. They put the calorie count for how it's packaged. Usually it will say something in parentheses for how many calories it is prepared. If not, I think the rule of thumb is that rice doubles when cooked. So for 1/4 cup uncooked, you could eat 1/2 cup prepared.
  • squishycatmew
    squishycatmew Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Uncooked. That translates to quite a bit more volume when cooked.
  • jazzie_red
    jazzie_red Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I don't have a scale so I am measuring. I ate 1/2 cup, not tightly packed. I need both a food and weight scale.
  • MaryACoffey
    Options
    I checked in my pantry - 1/4 cup of uncooked (3/4 cups when cooked) of Carolina enriched long grain white rice is 150 calories. The same amount of Uncle Bens Brown rice is 170 calories. In a side by side the white rice actually has a higher protein content and a lower fat content. There goes my daughter's theory that brown rice is better.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    It has to be cooked. Who the hell eats half a cup of uncooked rice?
    And, this is an example of how one can underestimate calories consumed. :bigsmile:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5722/2

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5812/2
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I checked in my pantry - 1/4 cup of uncooked (3/4 cups when cooked) of Carolina enriched long grain white rice is 150 calories. The same amount of Uncle Bens Brown rice is 170 calories. In a side by side the white rice actually has a higher protein content and a lower fat content. There goes my daughter's theory that brown rice is better.

Agreed, I've had different brands of rice and all of them were 1/4 uncooked = 3/4 cooked. Some of them list the actual grams which I don't remember what it is right now, but weight is always a better measurement for solids.
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    It HAS to be cooked.

:laugh: :noway:
  • Kalikel
    Options
    And, this is an example of how one can underestimate calories consumed. :bigsmile:

No, it's an example of overestimating calories.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Yeah sorry rice is fairly calorie dense. I know it sucks its so nice with the casserole and stuffs.
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    The package specifies the portion size as an uncooked weight (usually stated as 1/4 cup 'dry'). Since it may absorb different volumes of the cooking water each time, I weigh the cooked batch, then divide by the number of portions cooked to determine the appropriate weight per serving.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Well it's a good thing I'm blonde! I've always figured 1/4 c. uncooked = 1/2 c. cooked as you put two parts water to 1 part rice. Guess I was underestimating rice calories as well.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Well it's a good thing I'm blonde! I've always figured 1/4 c. uncooked = 1/2 c. cooked as you put two parts water to 1 part rice.

2 parts + 1 part -> 3 parts
  • Kalikel
    Options
    Well it's a good thing I'm blonde! I've always figured 1/4 c. uncooked = 1/2 c. cooked as you put two parts water to 1 part rice. Guess I was underestimating rice calories as well.
    at least you didn't measure wet, lol. It does make sense, in a way, to do it dry. It's neater, if you're measuring. :)

It's confusing!

Almost never over my calories, so I don't worry much...but when I count, I want to get close. If you aren't close, what's the point?

I also don't know...if you start in a size 14 and go down to, say, SIZE 4 (yay!), have you lost five sizes or ten? I went 24 to 14, so Enquiring Minds want to know!

So many things to learn. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

No, it's an example of overestimating calories.
    Good catch, and that is what I meant in the first place. :smile:
  • jazzie_red
    jazzie_red Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I would much rather overestimate than underestimate. I made curry and I love rice. I would never give it up.... It was a short grained sushi, so pearl??? It said 170 per 1/4 cup.

I also forgot to mention, I use a rice cooker, so the measurements are different than if I did it in a pot.... I can cook rice in a pot, I just don't wanna...

It was yummy.... chicken, red bell, onions, and bamboo shoots I mixed green and yellow curry..... Mmmmmmm