Spinach Vs Kale

Options
2»

Replies

• donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I prefer spinach in smoothies, salads or cooked . Kale has to be cooked! :)
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    ChildrenCryinNCoffee Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I love both.

But can no longer indulge in them in their raw form.

Calcium Oxalate.

They gave me kidney stones.

:(
  • nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I love both spinach and kale (as well as swiss chard, beet greens, etc.), but tend to eat more spinach because I'm lazy and can buy the pre-washed pre-cut tubs of spinach.

Raw in salads or smoothies I use both, cooked in pasta sauce I use both, sautéed as a side dish give me kale over spinach.
  • ellenoneal1027
    ellenoneal1027 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm new to all this and experimenting with kale. Sautée it with olive oil, garlic, lemon and sometimes sliced almonds. Want to try putting it in my protein shakes next. But my question is how do you track that, portion and calorie-wise. I heard to boil the kale down 1st before adding it to shakes/smoothies. So "a cup" of raw kale is totally different from a cup of cooked down kale. Anybody got ideas on how you track your kale? Do you use it raw in shakes/smoothies?
  • mefitforlife9
    mefitforlife9 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Sam's Club - Power Greens - Kale, Spinach, Chard and Carrots.. LOL - love it in my salad and in my smoothie.

So happy I had my gall bladder out at the beginning of the year... can eat all the veggies/fruits I need/want! Before, every time I started to eat healthier I would get sick. Now, no excuse! LOL and I love it all.

My salads also contain "spring mix" and brocoli slaw - yummmm
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I love both and usually just alternate.

This. Although I prefer kale cooked, and like spinach both ways. I think it's always best to alternate and include as many different greens and other vegetables as possible instead of just picking one, also.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I love spinach

I hate hate kale.

There
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...but what happened to spinach?...

It's with me. :drinker:
  • candyliquor
    Options
    I have tried Kale before, but it was in a bag of "manager's special" which means it needs to be sold before it goes bad and is usually super cheap. I tried it on homemade pizza and had stomach pains afterward. Tried it in a salad and it just tasted too "wood"-y for my tastes. Maybe I need to try them fresh and not from a bag. Spinach on the other hand, I love and is usually my green of choice. If we have lettuce- whether it's romaine (my fav type) or iceberg- and spinach, I will always choose spinach. I put it in scrambled eggs, salads and smoothies when I make them. I've also ground some up into a paste and mixed it with light mayo (or some times light dressing) for a spread to put on sandwiches. I once even ground some spinach and mixed it with tuna when making a tuna sandwich. That was delicious!