Drinking water

Options
Ladies & Gentlemen:
It seems that most people and sites seem to recommend drinking lot of water.
Problem is that I cannot stand to drink water unless I am extremely thirsty.
I much prefer flavored water and things like Crystal-Light. I drink alot of that
all day and night.
Can I drink those instead? Is liquid the goal?
Thanks, Terri

Replies

• VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Flavored water doesn't stop being water. Crystal Light powder doesn't make the water no longer water. Drink up!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Can I drink those instead? Is liquid the goal?

Yep, yep. :bigsmile:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Flavored water doesn't stop being water.

That said: experiment! Try adding a splash of juice concentrate, or a tea bag, or cucumber or or or or or or.
  • Stella_Mayfair
    Stella_Mayfair Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    yes you can. I get ill from water alone so I add Mio like stuff, but the 0cal Kool-Aid versions. But I do love my water
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    yes you can. I get ill from water alone so I add Mio like stuff, but the 0cal Kool-Aid versions. But I do love my water
    ill from water, but not ill from water plus a bunch of chemicals and what not that add flavor? Why?

ETA: yes, I mean food scientist chemist created chemicals designed to please the palate, not good ole stuff found in nature...

please save the lemons are chemicals gifs for another day. :flowerforyou:
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Lemon, lemon, lemon. :smile: I love adding fresh squeezed lemon to my water, so that may an idea that may help you.
  • serenahhhhh
    Options
    Maybe try gradually incorporating more plain water in there? I used to never like/drink water but now its all I drink. Tastes even better with lemon! xx
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If that's what you want to do, it's okay!

It's really hard to switch to water. I moved to a place that is notorious for it's ghastly-tasting water and started drinking bottled. But paying all that money for water just irritated me. And it was heavy, lol. So, I learned to like the water here.

Start with lots of ice. The colder it is, the less potent the taste. Switch off - sip of whatever, sip of water.

Slowly work up to all water, all the time.

If you want to switch. :)
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I like Propel Zero~~Only for taking meds because I don't like the taste of them,
    other than that I do/will drink plain H20
    Theres also Powerade Zero (but I prefer the 1st :bigsmile:!)
  • jazzie_red
    jazzie_red Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I heard liquid is the goal.... from what I understand is take your weight and cut it in half... you should drink that amount. I couldn't do it!! For me that would be 100 ounces!! I drink my 8 cups and have a 16 ounce coffee just about everyday. I really try to avoid artificial sweeter because I hate the aftertaste.... so I don't do the flavored crystal lite stuff... I do add lemon or lime when I get tired of straight water....
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

You get ill from plain water? In what way?
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options

Start with lots of ice. The colder it is, the less potent the taste.

Dude, this! It doesn't seem like it should make a difference, but it does. Our tap water here is pretty bad even cold from the tap, but after being chilled in the freezer it's smooth, refreshing goodness. Until it gets room temp and then it's not so good again... :laugh:
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Lemon, lemon, lemon. :smile: I love adding fresh squeezed lemon to my water, so that may an idea that may help you.

Also try fresh lime and orange too.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    ill from water, but not ill from water plus a bunch of chemicals and what not that add flavor? Why?

ETA: yes, I mean food scientist chemist created chemicals designed to please the palate, not good ole stuff found in nature...

please save the lemons are chemicals gifs for another day. :flowerforyou:

Yeah, I shook my head at that one as well. I wonder what OP would drink if the only thing available to drink was water?

Anyway, to answer the question for weight loss, plain water is better than water flavoured with artificial anything (eg. Mio, Crystal Lite). Next to plain water, green tea or homemade vitamin water is good. I'd still opt for plain water but that's me.
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Flavored water, tea, protein shake made with water. It's all good.
    They have so many options for flavoring water, many low sugar and low calories.
  • kingjabou
    kingjabou Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    More than 90 percent of beer is water, just a thought. lol :drinker:
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Anyway, to answer the question for weight loss, plain water is better than water flavoured with artificial anything (eg. Mio, Crystal Lite).

In what way is it better for weight loss? What is it that you think plain water does?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I personally would stay away from Mio though. When they transport it, they are required to have hazardous materials placard. One of the major ingredients is ethylene glycol. That is what it is in antifreeze.

We are all adults and I don't want to say you shouldn't drink it, but many people do not realize that is a main ingredient. The choice is up to each person but I won't drink it. Would you add antifreeze to your water and drink up?

Okay back to positivity. I know lots of people use Chrystal light, I personally think it is a but too sweet. I like using the juicer to make juices from citrus fruits or other fruits. I make enough to last a few days and store it In the refrigerator. That way if I need flavor I can add to my taste. Just a bit time consuming. If low on time I will buy fruit concentrate to use in a pinch. I love mixing different fruits to make tons of varieties of flavors.

I usually don't like plain water either so flavor it to trick myself into drinking it lol.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Yes, you could drink those to meet your body's hydration requirement. The key is to keep your body properly hydrated which could be achieved with flavored water, tea, coffee, soup, fruits, and veggies. It doesn't have to be plain H20.
  • Neiges
    Neiges Posts: 6
    Options
    You can get your water from fruit and vegetables as well - think cucumbers and watermelons, those are usually more than 90% water (I'd go easy on the watermelon though, it has a lot of sugar as well), oranges, grapefruits, tomatoes, celery, too. Green tea and milk, if you enjoy those.