5k Training -- how long before I cover 3.1 miles?

Options
Hi there! I'm training to run a 5k in October, and so far I'm almost done with Week 3 of my app (very similar to C25k). I track my distance using Runkeeper, and so far, the whole workout only takes me about 1.6 miles. Is this normal? How long before I'm actually going 3.1 miles?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Depends on how fast you run. You might finish the whole program, be able to run 30 minutes, and still not be running 3.1 miles. That's actually more common than not.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Yup, I was a little over 2 miles in 30 mins when i finished c25k. I just kept adding 5 mins a week and got to 3.1 in 40 mins. That's when i started a half marathon plan and that's what put my 5k under 30 mins. Lots of easy running over a period of months.
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    At about week 6 I just thought F*** it and went out and ran 5k it took 36 minutes. Last week I ran 6K it took 42 minutes I'm still sticking with my 10k runner (similar to C25K) but every week I go out and do a run adding and extra 1k so that I'm ready for my 10k in 4 weeks time. :)
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    At about week 6 I just thought F*** it and went out and ran 5k it took 36 minutes. Last week I ran 6K it took 42 minutes I'm still sticking with my 10k runner (similar to C25K) but every week I go out and do a run adding and extra 1k so that I'm ready for my 10k in 4 weeks time. :)

I might do something like this. I found a program on my Runkeeper app that focuses on mileage rather than time spent running. I know I can run more than this other app is telling me to run, so maybe this is the answer?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You didn't give us the name of the program so how are we supposed to know when your program does what?
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    You didn't give us the name of the program so how are we supposed to know when your program does what?

I didn't give the name because the program I'm using now is only accessible by iPhone, not Android. It's called 5k Runner and I don't know anyone else that uses it, but it's very similar to Couch to 5k. The other program (that tells you how many miles to run) is Beginner 5k and it's on the Runkeeper app. Again, haven't heard of anyone using it.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing it depends on whether the app tracks your intervals by time or by distance. I finished c25k using timed intervals and was only doing 2 miles.
  • Muzica1959
    Muzica1959 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I was starting week 4 of C25K and ditched it because it just wasn't compatible with my phone. I use RunKeeper and saw the "learn to run" program on there but decided to use the feature that let me create my own workout. What I would suggest * and I am by no means an expert* is to take a timed run and see just how long you can go without having to take a walk interval. Set up your own workout on RunKeeper using on/offs to whatever that distance or time was that you ran, then add in a walking interval, walk for as long as it takes for you to recover, then another run interval like the one you just did and so on. That is what I am doing and it seems to be working out very well for me. Hope this made a little sense anyway lol.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Yep... and Muzica is kicking butt... and you are too OP... just push it and go
  • Muzica1959
    Options
    Thanks LoneWolfRunner...my mentor :)
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Instead of sticking to some app on your phone program...why not just go out and run? I mean, just...just go. See what you can do.

When I started running, I didn't use any program of any kind. I just picked 3 days a week to go running. Personally, I think for beginners, it might be easier to just use a certain amount of time to try to keep running, and see how far you can go. Speed comes with time, but you need to build up your endurance base first.
  • odywithaj
    odywithaj Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    ok.. so I'll start off with i am a "learn to run" instructor at my local Running Room here in Canada.

Please be sensible when starting a running program.. Most of these programs are designed to start you off really slow, and allow you some success, to get you used to feeling the aches and tenderness without killing yourself.

A good BASIC rule of thumb is not to do more than 10% per week (either in time or distance, but pick one only) My personal preference is distance. (ex: if you run 10 k in a week, then run no more than 11 k the next week) I know it doesn't sound like a lot, especially if you are running 3 times a week, but by the end of the program, it does start to add up.

Also, I know in the program i teach, most people start to drop out after week 5. (This is where the program really takes off).

All this being said, every person is different, and we all have little things that need adjusting, and I have tweaked the program many different ways to accommodate people. Feel free to friend me and ask any questions. I am not an expert, but have seen lots of stuff and helped a few folks along the way. More than happy to help :)
  • Muzica1959
    Options
    Instead of sticking to some app on your phone program...why not just go out and run? I mean, just...just go. See what you can do.

When I started running, I didn't use any program of any kind. I just picked 3 days a week to go running. Personally, I think for beginners, it might be easier to just use a certain amount of time to try to keep running, and see how far you can go. Speed comes with time, but you need to build up your endurance base first.

The only reason I use the app is mainly to keep up with how long I am running, and especially calorie burn since I am in the weight loss process. I am not really concerned about how far at this point.