High protein food

Options
Hi guys I'm trying to start high protein, low carb and low fat diet. What are the highest protein ratio food excluding any protein supplement? Can you point me to the right direction? Would appreciate if I get any response from you veteran MFP's. Thanks..

Replies

• skinnymini2552
    Options
    Tuna, egg whites, and yogurt (try greek if you'd like...I'd recommend Oikos &Chobani)!
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    Low fat cottage cheese is a godsend just watch out for sodium.

Egg whites.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    almonds, cashews, flax seeds, peanuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, walnuts
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    How much high protein? We talkin 50%+? I have never heard of such a diet.... what would be your macro goals, I am curious...

I am in ketosis, so my goals are F70%, P30%, C10%......I found it hard to meet a high protein goal of 40%, with a 40% Carb goal, even for me, and I eat over a pound of meat a day.
  • hangingwithleonardo
    Options
    I am struggling with protein as well, as I do eat meat, but am not a big meat eater. I am following a doctor-supervised, nutritionist-supervised program, and they are asking me to change to 30%F, 40%C and 30%P... and I am having a very hard time getting enough protein in. I am eating low fat cottage cheese, greek yogurt, hard boiled eggs, etc... in addition to whatever meat we serve at dinner. I don't really want to start with any protein shakes or supplements, as I'd like my meals to be as "real life" as possible. Looking for easy ways to integrate more protein... help???
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    1. Fish

2. Seafood

3. Skinless, white-meat poultry

4. Lean beef (including tenderloin, sirloin, eye of round)

5. Skim or low-fat milk

6. Skim or low-fat yogurt

7. Fat-free or low-fat cheese

8. Eggs

9. Lean pork (tenderloin)

10. Beans
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Here is a list of some foods that have a higher protein to calorie ratio. Game meats, goat and sheep's milk products are worth looking into as well as most green veg.

Turkey and chicken breast - 30g per 3.5 ounces

Tuna, Halibut and Salmon - 26g per 3.5 ounces

Fat free and low fat cheese - 5 to 10g per 1 ounce

Pork loin center cut - 25g per 3.5 ounce

Tofu - 7g per 3.5 ounces

Legumes - 14 to 17g per 3.5 ounces

Whole Eggs - 13g per 3.5 ounces

Most low fat dairy and soy milk products - 8 to 14g per cup

Nuts and seeds - 4 to 7 per ounce
  • ClaireyDeexx
    ClaireyDeexx Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Tilapia is probably the best food for no carb and little fat, do you have macro goals you are trying to hit?
  • tzulhelmi
    tzulhelmi Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    How much high protein? We talkin 50%+? I have never heard of such a diet.... what would be your macro goals, I am curious...

I am in ketosis, so my goals are F70%, P30%, C10%......I found it hard to meet a high protein goal of 40%, with a 40% Carb goal, even for me, and I eat over a pound of meat a day.

No specific macro target because I'm pretty clueless about that. I've been following MFP's default macro but what I need is protein at least higher than both carbs and fat.

Btw great suggestion guys, but it's kinda hard for me since I live alone and I never cooks. I do eat meat but eating outside makes it really hard to know the FPC contain. We all know guessing is not good enough. Too complicated.

From what I see the only viable and easy food to log is egg whites, tofu.

Or you guys have anymore suggestion that just as simple?
  • MezaEza
    MezaEza Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Found this online and thought it might be helpful. All sources of plant based protein so mostly all low in fat.

https://www.facebook.com/matthewkenneycuisine/photos/a.416287071767935.98667.403789063017736/748730838523555/?type=1&theater
  • 300g tub of plain cottage cheese this has 34g of protein.

chicken / turkey

steak

tuna

eggs
  • MezaEza
    MezaEza Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Peas, spinach, broccoli and brussel sprouts have the highest amount of protein in most vegetables. It's certainly worth incorporating them into your diet on a regular basis.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Hi guys I'm trying to start high protein, low carb and low fat diet. What are the highest protein ratio food excluding any protein supplement? Can you point me to the right direction? Would appreciate if I get any response from you veteran MFP's. Thanks..
    I think maybe a bit more research would be in order. I'm no proponent of suxh diets but as far as I understand it you don't go low fat when you go low carb in fact you need to do the opposite you go higher fat. I maybe wrong but that's how I understand it
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    why would you do low carb AND low fat at the same time?
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Aye honestly I'm not a fan of cutting out even one of the macro nutrients. Cutting two sounds like a recipe for disaster. Protein is awesome but I really don't think your body can live on it alone. Nor do I think even the most rabid protein shake will enable you to hit low fat and low carb. I actually don't think it's really possible.

Besides unless you eat SOME carbs your body will actually have quite a bit of trouble absorbing the protein. Same with vitamins and minerals. Quite a few of those are fat soluble.

Instead of obsessing over macro-nutrient % why not try working out your protein requirements. Get a body fat % reading done .. preferably with a method that isn't the bad electical meters. That way you can work out your lean mass. 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass is about right. Maybe 1.2 if you really wanna be sure. After you have had that much protein any more is kinda overkill and you can spend the rest of your calories on carbs n fat.