ne one have a very easy and healthy homemade spaghetti sauce

Options
im making my grocery list and looking at all my pasta sauces in the jar, I noticed how much sugar is in them..personally if I can stick a few things the the slow cook all day and have a healthy and tasty spaghetti sauce, then ill do that...I'm trying to slowly move away from the stuff with preservatives..no good! Thank u to everyone who posts

Replies

• abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    chopped onion, a large handful of dried parsley, about a T of dried basil, several toes of crushed garlic, 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes...

If it seems too thin after cooking, add a small jar of tomato paste and a splash of red wine. Taste, then add salt or pepper to your needs.

If you want more vegetables, add finely diced carrots at the beginning, a package of frozen spinach at the end.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I recently made the Biggest Loser spaghetti sauce and meatballs and it was incredible. It is a bit spicy but I like spicy so that was okay with me. I highly recommend it.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    How much time you got?

I make mine from fresh. Blanch the tomatoes, peel the skin, and cook until the correct consistency. For a smoother sauce food processor works great or a blender. Brown sugar to taste and to reduce acid. Garlic, olive oil, basil. It's a basic recipe I use for all my pasta dishes. Just add what you like after.
  • TracieMyron
    Options
    I always make my own sauce... my husband is Italian :)

2 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
    1T Italian seasoning
    2t dried basil
    3 cloves fresh crushed garlic
    1/4t crushed red pepper
    2 carrots diced (this replaces the need for sugar)
    then you can use peppers, mushrooms and any other vegetables you like.

I place in a slow cooker and let simmer on low all day. I do like onion in mine, but I usually cook it with the ground beef. I also put fresh grated parmesan in mine, but that does add calories :) Good luck and hope this helps :)
  • dkimbriel
    dkimbriel Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I use tomato paste as a base for spaghetti sauce. Add as much water as you want to make it the thickness you like. Add basil, oregano, garlic salt or garlic powder, cracked black pepper and a bay leaf as the sauce boils. If you want a meat sauce, pan fry any type of ground meat in a teaspoon of olive oil. If you like onion, chop it fine and brown it with the meat. When it's browned, stir it into the sauce. The second time you use the sauce, you will need to put in a teaspoon of sugar to cut the build up of acid that happens when it sits. A teaspoon of sugar has a lot less calories than I thought.... don't leave it out. I used a very aged asiago cheese because it has a lot less fat and it will grate very finely. You can put a teaspoon full on your spaghetti and get a lot of flavor from it. Try ground lean pork instead of turkey or beef. It gives a lot of flavor. You can also add shrimp, crab or lobster to spaghetti for a change of pace.
  • nanmosta1
    Options
    Not sure it would qualify for very easy, but a healthy recipe my daughter taught me ws chop up zucchini, summer squash, onions, peppers, celery and garlic. Cook till clear then add a can of tomatoes. Pot this all in a food processor and puree to sauce. Return to pan and add a can of tomato sauce, 2 tablespoon basil, 2 tab oregano,1 tab parsley, salt, pepper, 1/4 cup red wine and 1 tablespoon brown sugar. Simmer about 30 minutes. You could add mushrooms in the last stage
  • TaraDenise
    TaraDenise Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I would love a good recipe for this too.
  • lashleyrivera
    Options
    Mmm these all sound very good!! I am def going to try all of them! If I can make a big batch of this and freeze it, id be so happy lol, seems like it'd save some money as well
  • droppin_lbs
    droppin_lbs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Yummy!! will have to try some of these. Great post - Thanks.
  • Erica9903
    Erica9903 Posts: 156
    Options
    I know it will sound like several ingredients but you probably have most of them in your house already.
    1 pound extra lean ground beef or turkey is also delicious
    1 small yellow onion, diced
    1 small can mushrooms(you can omit or use fresh, I just like the canned better)
    1 28 oz can petite diced tomatoes, no salt added
    1 small can tomato paste, no salt added
    1 small can tomato sauce, no salt added
    1 cup low sodium fat free beef broth
    1 cup water
    2T brown sugar
    2T parsley flakes
    1t oregano
    1t basil
    1/2t garlic powder--you can use fresh but my hubby doesn't like it so I use the powder
    salt and pepper to taste
    Brown ground beef and onions until beef is no linger pink, drain well.
    Place beef and onions as well as all other ingredients in your crock pot and cook on low 8 hours. My crockpot kicks over to a "warm" mode when the cooking time is complete so I put my sauce on before I go to bed at night. I also always make a double batch as this freezes very well so I have sauce that just needs to be thawed and reheated on nights I'm in panick mode because of schedule malfunctions, lol.
  • mmcgille
    mmcgille Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    This sauce is really easy to do and takes less than 15 minutes to make:
    1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
    1 pkg shredded carrots (dice 'em a little more to make it less chunky)
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    3/4 cup chopped onions
    1 pkg mushrooms
    1 tsp olive oil
    Parsley and italian seasoning to taste

Heat the pan and oil. Chop/dice all of the vegetables, seasonings and garlic and lightly saute for approximately 5-6 minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes. Add tmore parsley and italian seasoning to taste. Enjoy!
  • heatherw7
    Options
    bump to use for later!
  • Izzys_mom
    Izzys_mom Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    2 28oz can of whole tomatoes crushed
    1 large can tomato juice
    3 small cans of tomato paste
    4 cloves of garlic minced (or more if you like)
    2 onions diced
    2 carrots diced
    2 stalks of celery diced
    1 tsp basil
    1 tsp oregano
    1/2 tsp of crushed red chili
    2 tbsp olive oil

In a large stock pot saute the onion, carrots and celery until soft then add the garlic and saute a few minutes longer. Add the tomatoes and tomato juice and simmer for 1/2 hour or until the tomatoes break down. Add the tomato paste basil oregano and crushed red chili. If you want to add other vegetables like peppers or mushrooms add them now. Continue to simmer for 1/2 hour.

About 70 calories per cup.
  • mrsbuzz
    mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    bump