Quaker Minute Oats vs. Steel Cut Oats

Options
RheneeB
RheneeB Posts: 461 Member
I am following a program to reset my metabolism and one of the breakfast choices for grain is steel cut oats. Can anyone please tell me what the difference is between those and regular quaker oat meal that you cook in a minute (not the little packets). I have never even heard of steel cut oats.:blushing:

Replies

• Sweetvirgo63
    Sweetvirgo63 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Couldn't really explain the difference other than the fact that 1 container of steel cut oats sells for $9.99 at the grocery store and I refuse to pay that price, especially since I get 1/2 the amount from the Quick Oats in a bigger bag for $2.99. I believe steel cut oats are less processed than the Quick Oats which is why they can be cooked in 1-3 minutes whereas steel cut oats take about 45 minutes on a stovetop [akin to 1 minute rice vs rice that's not already parboiled].
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats are "intact" oats. They are better for you. They have a smaller glycemic impact. Instant oatmeal (what you're talking about) is going to have less fiber, and a higher glycemic impact. It's going to be less good for you, overall.

Personally, I like the taste of steel cut oats better. I put it on LOW and hop in the shower. When I'm done getting ready, it's done.
    I also prefer steel cut for the "refrigerator oatmeal" recipes as well.
  • CupcakesMom2
    CupcakesMom2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    What the above posters have said is correct, steel cut oats are healthier (and yummy). However both foods are very healthy foods and if for some reason you can't get steel cut oats you are still doing alot of good for your body by eating Quacker minute oats.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Minute oats or quick oats have been pre-cooked (steamed actually) and rolled really thin.

5 Minute oats or Old Fashioned oats have been pre-cooked (steamed again) and rolled, but not as thin.

There is some evidence that nutrition is lost in the steaming & rolling process.

Steel cut oats are the least processed, essentially they take the hull off and "chop" them into bits. The bits take 15-20 minutes cooking time.

They do have instant steel cut varieties (my favorite). These take 5 minutes to cook. The texture of steel cut does it for me. Instant oats are like baby food. Steel cut still has some texture.....unless you cook it a lot.

It's up to you.....for me the convenience out weighs a little bit of micronutrient loss.
  • justdance06
    justdance06 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, but I eat Quick Oats every weekday morning and love it .. so quick and easy .. they keep me full for a long time too. They may not be as healthy as Steel Cut Oats for the reasons already stated, but they are healthier (and more filling) than many regular cereals.
  • bigheadmom
    bigheadmom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Steel oats are delicious. Quick oats are like wallpaper paste.

I buy them at Aldi for under $4 a can. They aren't expensive.

I cook enough for the week on Sunday since they take 20min to cook. I portion them out into ziplocs in the fridge. That way in the morning I can grab a baggie, and dump it into a bowl. I like mine with a little almond milk, a scoop of chia, and cinnamon.
  • Kiwi_Billings
    Kiwi_Billings Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Steel Cut are better tasting, and have more body to them.... I make a batch up on Sundays, and then have them ready to go thru the week. 1/2 cup in the microwave for about 10 seconds is all it takes to warm them up. Plus, cold they are like a "pudding" and I sprinkle a little bit of cinnimon powder on them for a yummy and healthy dessert - NO sugar! They are so good.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Couldn't really explain the difference other than the fact that 1 container of steel cut oats sells for $9.99 at the grocery store and I refuse to pay that price, especially since I get 1/2 the amount from the Quick Oats in a bigger bag for $2.99. I believe steel cut oats are less processed than the Quick Oats which is why they can be cooked in 1-3 minutes whereas steel cut oats take about 45 minutes on a stovetop [akin to 1 minute rice vs rice that's not already parboiled].

You can't compare instant and steel cut 1 to 1.

1/4 Cup of steel cut makes a big serving.....whereas you need 1/2 cup of instant oats.

I can buy inexpensive steel cut oats in bulk fairly cheap.

45 minutes? .....yuck! But, this would be the baby food texture of instant oats.
  • Mbierschbach
    Mbierschbach Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-steelcut-138355

There's literally a website describing the differences.

My .02: I love steel cut oats to death, but reserve them for the weekend 'cause I like to simmer them on the stove for the prescribed 25 minutes. They're slightly nutty, awesome texture, almost like a different food from a bowl of "oatmeal". Conversely, don't fall for the BS that "minute" oats are a time saver. I make Old Fashioned oats every single weekday in the microwave. 1/2 cup oats, 1 cup water, microwave for .......here's the catch..........................TWO WHOLE MINUTES!

Old Fashioned oats have a better texture in my mouth, and the actual reason we eat high fiber foods - better texture INSIDE your body. I'm not getting any more graphic than that. Eating "quick oats" and calling it a high fiber food is about as good as the recent addition of "a source of high fiber" to the boxes of Fruit Loops and the like. Blegh.
  • Sweetvirgo63
    Sweetvirgo63 Posts: 119 Member
    Options

You can't compare instant and steel cut 1 to 1.

1/4 Cup of steel cut makes a big serving.....whereas you need 1/2 cup of instant oats.

I can buy inexpensive steel cut oats in bulk fairly cheap.

45 minutes? .....yuck! But, this would be the baby food texture of instant oats.

Those are the instructions on the canister at the grocery store; not my own thinking. I've never bought them so I wouldn't know how accurate it is.
  • cranshinibon
    cranshinibon Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    how exactly will oatmeal help reset your metabolism when you eat it for breakfast.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    how exactly will oatmeal help reset your metabolism when you eat it for breakfast.
    You knew someone would ask...:huh:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Eating "quick oats" and calling it a high fiber food is about as good as the recent addition of "a source of high fiber" to the boxes of Fruit Loops and the like. Blegh.

There's *1 gram* of difference in the fiber content of steel cut and instant oats. One takes 1.5 minute to cook in the microwave, the other has to be cooked on the stovetop... For me instant wins every time, because I'm lazy and I don't like the taste of steel cut that much to justify the extra cost and time in preparation.

I'm also confused about how oats are supposed to help reset your metabolism.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    You knew someone would ask...:huh:

So what's the answer? :indifferent: :huh:
  • mom2nicknat
    mom2nicknat Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If I eat Quaker Oats instant oatmeal, an hour later I get shaky and starving. If I eat steel cut oatmeal, it sustains me much longer and I don't have the crash like I do with the regular oats. Assuming it has something to do with the glycemic index someone mentioned before so for that reason, I stick with the Steel Cut.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    At equal serving sizes, (40g) they have the same amount of fiber and around the same amount of calories, fat, protein, etc. However, as someone else pointed out, steel cut oats have a lower GI as they take longer to digest and this can lead to feeling more satisfied as mom2nicknat mentioned. I know I've had the same experience as well.

Taste, and consistency for that matter, are personal preference. I like the nuttier taste and "hearty" texture of the steel cut oats over quick/instant. But I know folks who detest them because they're so used to the other kind.

And you don't have to stand over the stove to cook them. Try using the crock pot and make up a big batch every week then portion them out and heat up in the microwave (I actually don't mind eating them cold). I add things like raisins, sweet potato, apples and spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and ground ginger to mine. Yummy!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like the taste of steel cut oats better. I put it on LOW and hop in the shower.

I also prefer it. It's the only breakfast cereal I like, I find the texture much more appealing.

I use a rice cooker. Don't have one of the fancy ones with a timer, but when I'm in the mood for oatmeal I just put it and the water in as soon as I get up and then go shower and it's ready and on warm whenever I am.

I've heard it's fine to do everything but turn it on the night before, but the time savings for me would be minimal.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Personally, I like the taste of steel cut oats better. I put it on LOW and hop in the shower.

I also prefer it. It's the only breakfast cereal I like, I find the texture much more appealing.

I use a rice cooker. Don't have one of the fancy ones with a timer, but when I'm in the mood for oatmeal I just put it and the water in as soon as I get up and then go shower and it's ready and on warm whenever I am.

I've heard it's fine to do everything but turn it on the night before, but the time savings for me would be minimal.
    Great idea.
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Like several others, I find steel cut much more filling and satisfying compared to quick oats. They do have a few grams more fiber and protein than instant oats, but not a significant number more. They cook great in the slow cooker (I like them with almond milk, chopped apples, brown sugar, and cinnamon for an apple pie flavor) and retain a nice chewy texture. Personally, I like that they are less processed than instant oats and I prefer the texture.

That said, when I make refrigerated overnight oats (no cooking, just soaking), I prefer old fashioned rolled oats. That is one of my go-to breakfasts in the summer, when I don't want hot oatmeal. I tried it a few times with steel cut, but it was a little too chewy for my taste.
  • chench53
    chench53 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've never had steel cut oats, I guess I'll have to try them to see what I'm missing!

I do like the regular "Old Fashioned Quaker Oats" over any quick oats, or any instant oats. It is so much better than the instant. And it does cook quickly in the microwave.

http://www.quakeroats.com/products/hot-cereals/old-fashioned-oats.aspx

I put 1/2 cup dry oats in a bowl, add a dash of cinammon, and water (? about 4oz, maybe 5?) and pop in in the microwave for about 2min20sec. if you like to add a dash of salt, or brown sugar, you can add that at the start.

Make sure to use a bowl big enough for the oatmeal to bubble up, otherwise you get a messy spillover.

I let it sit about a minute, stir and add anything else you might want. I like to add blueberries.

A 1/2 cup of dry oats will give you 5g protein, 27g carbohydrates, 4 which are dietary fiber (2g soluble, 2 insoluble). If you make it with milk, or add fruit figure that in. Cook up some eggs or egg whites and it's a nice meal, anytime!

Enjoy!
    Gerry