2»

Replies

• CopperB73
    CopperB73 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    hunnichow asked "What are 'curtting' and 'bulking'?"
    Cutting = losing weight, in the form of unwanted body fat
    bulking = gaining weight, in the form of muscle

It's difficult to do both at once: to lose weight you basically eat less, whereas to gain muscle you eat more (and exercise, especially strength training, so that the extra food doesn't become fat). So it's usual to do first one, and then the other.

That's probably an over-simplification, but I hope it answers the question without being a long answer!
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I love to work out every day but generally I take 1-2 rest days a week because of busy life. I'd work out every day if I could but I really vary my workouts so I don't overdo it. My body totally craves it and I notice I'm much more agitated and impatient on days I don't work out. All that being said, I do listen to my body. My Personal Trainer worked my legs so hard last week I HAD to take a rest day. LOL!!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Depends on my current goals.... usually 3-4 rest days
  • Jemellc
    Jemellc Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    One or two days.... usually one weekday/sat and or sun.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I have 2(Sat. and Sun.) rest days for weight lifting and 1(Sun.) rest day of cardio.
  • CopperB73
    CopperB73 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If you are wondering how many rest days you ought to have, this article seems helpful: http://www.acefitness.org/blog/3565/recovery-redefined-how-much-rest-you-actually-need
  • PlumpKitten
    PlumpKitten Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    fppalmer is right.
    You need a rest day if you are already in very good shape and doing some serious weights.
    For the grand majority of us normal slobs just getting into shape, you are probably fine exercising as much as you want.

If you are really concerned, then alternate weight-bearing exercises and cardio, which is what I try to do.
    If I can, I do circuits with free weights three times a week. And the other days I jog or do yoga.

That said, the weights I do are so light -- and I am such an amateur -- that I could probably do them every day with no harm, except for being a little sore.