First week and no loss!! Wth?

Options

Replies

• TheNewPriceIsLoading
    TheNewPriceIsLoading Posts: 2,135 Member
    Options
    Just finished my first week of counting calories and working out. I worked out for an hour 5 days and used approximately 1200 calories each day and lost nothing. What gives!? I can't give up because this weight has got to come off but I'm soooo disappointed!

Muscle build.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain it all in a week, you won't lose it in a week.

This ^^^^

I know you don't want to hear this but it's true

Took me years
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Weight goes on a hell of a lot faster than it comes off. You need to be more patient. It is also possible you didn't calculate your calorie goal right, maybe it needs to be adjusted.
  • crossfire266
    Options
    You're miss calculating your calories, you're eating way more than you think you are

^^TRUTH
  • burtyo
    burtyo Posts: 2
    Options
    Your body is in shock and is hunkering down for hard times so, on its own, and to keep you alive, it threw your metabolism into the basement. This week your body will figure out that this is the new normal and you will see good results at the end of next week. A pound or two per week should be viewed as a great success.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Just finished my first week of counting calories and working out. I worked out for an hour 5 days and used approximately 1200 calories each day and lost nothing. What gives!? I can't give up because this weight has got to come off but I'm soooo disappointed!

Muscle build.

No
  • burtyo
    burtyo Posts: 2
    Options
    Eat to lose weight too. If you can manage it, spread your food out as much as possible. Keeps that metabolism humming. Too few calories will cause yet another stall. You are doing great, and as you wisely observed, how you feel is what this is all about.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Muscle build.

Definitely not this. Women can put on about 1 pound of muscle per month, typically, and that's with heavy lifting and eating a calorie surplus with lots of protein. Even those who gain muscle more quickly without using drugs (there are some) still have to do the heavy lifting and eating at a calorie surplus.

Muscles can get stronger without getting bigger (improved coordination between fibers, more capillaries in the muscle tissue, etc.). Many people don't seem to know this. The fact that you can lift more now than you could 4 weeks ago doesn't necessarily mean that you have added any muscle mass.
  • yesenia_vargas32
    yesenia_vargas32 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been doing insanity for 5-6 weeks but only starting tracking calories about 2 weeks ago. Turned out I was still eating too much which is why I wasn't seeing results. So I finally lost about 3 lbs. I was so excited. Now I'm slowly gaining it back, and it's killing me. I get that you have to be patient at first, but this is crazy. Makes no sense to me. I feel almost exactly the same, and no one else has really noticed a difference either. Maybe a tiny one. Sigh.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Eat to lose weight too. If you can manage it, spread your food out as much as possible. Keeps that metabolism humming. Too few calories will cause yet another stall. You are doing great, and as you wisely observed, how you feel is what this is all about.
    No, food frequency has nothing to do with metabolism.

No, too few calories will make you lose weight.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Muscle build.
    Nope.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Its been a WEEK. one week. 168 hours. Please realize that this a marathon, not a sprint. If everything happened that instantaneously we would all be slim in no time. Patience is a virtue. It will happen. Give it time.
  • julesg100
    julesg100 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain it all in a week, you won't lose it in a week.

Absolutely! It took me several weeks to see a loss when I started on here. I had already been exercising consistently, but not tracking my intake, so I learned that I was eating too much. You are most likely retaining water and that happens when you undertake a new exercise program. In the meantime, track your food intake diligently and weigh your food. Do you have a heart rate monitor? I got one and it really helps me figure out how many calories I'm burning along with my Fitbit.

Good Luck! You can do it!
  • timider
    timider Posts: 3
    Options
    This is crazy... I JUST posted something about this a few minutes ago. I am experiencing the exact same thing as you weight loss wise as I started my weight loss journey a week ago as well and eating the same amount of calories as you. And to make it even weirder, we are the same weight and height! We just gotta be patient sister! We're in this together! :)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Its been a WEEK. one week. 168 hours. Please realize that this a marathon, not a sprint. If everything happened that instantaneously we would all be slim in no time. Patience is a virtue. It will happen. Give it time.
    While I agree a week isn't a lot of time, I think it's understandable to expect some change your first week, especially given that most can achieve their largest loss that week due to water weight loss. And if you don't lose anything your first week, why would doing the same thing in following weeks cause a loss?

Though I think it's most likely water retention due to exercise. I think people should just diet alone for a few weeks first, or diet and walk, not diet and Insanity or otherwise 5+ hours of tough exercise they're not used to.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

Muscle build.

No. You can't build muscle on a deficit, especially one as puny as a measly 1200 cals/day.
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking all of your food and drinks accurately?
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    uwotm8? lol
  • whitehorse67
    whitehorse67 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It will happen......trust what people tell you :) The key is not to get frustrated that you give up. You made a goal, and put yourself on a routine.....stick with it and good things will happen :)
  • findingmyw1ngs
    findingmyw1ngs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Key words are "first week". :tongue:

This ain't the Biggest Loser - the massive losses portrayed on that show, or in infomercials for exercise programs and weight loss products are not realistic.

THIS. Did you gain it in a week? No. So don't expect to lose it in a week. I can't stand people who expect the loss to happen immediately when the gain didn't happen that way