Making up for "cheating"

I overate a bit this weekend and I'm the type that makes up for the excess over the next few days.

For the next two days I will only be eating 900 calories to make up for it, before resuming my normal 1500-1600.

What can I eat for those 900? I eat 3 meals usually with 2 snacks?

I don't normally cheat this way so don't worry. I don't cheat often but I don't feel comfy leaving any surplus above 500 just as if it never happened. I have a very small deficit to work with as is so 1000 calories makes a BIG dent in that. =)

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    This is a bad idea... brush it off and move on. There is no cheating with food.
  • This is a bad idea... brush it off and move on. There is no cheating with food.

Why? It's 2 days. It's not like I'm eating 900 everyday. I always make up for it this way. I still want my deficit. If I were to leave it I'd have no deficit. Just never had a big splurge like this before.
  • randomtai
    This is a bad idea... brush it off and move on. There is no cheating with food.

Why? It's 2 days. It's not like I'm eating 900 everyday. I always make up for it this way. I still want my deficit. If I were to leave it I'd have no deficit. Just never had a big splurge like this before.

Because it's a disordered way of thinking about food.
  • :-/ ...

I didn't realize eating lighter for a few days after a fun weekend is an eating disorder. Okay then.
  • Salford_IT_Help
    Salford_IT_Help Posts: 13 Member
    On my holiday I went over my goal and typically had no or little deficit. I treated this as just a delay in the eventual weight loss.

The previous posters reply indicating going below 1200 calories (you suggested 900 calories) would be a bad idea. This might be to the 'Starvation Mode' warning from MFP. Basically you reduce your calorie intake to a point where the deficit does not help weight lost and your body holds onto the fat and your weight loss stalls.

Just get back to normal small deficit and diet for an extra week to get to your goal.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    i over indulged thursday ( unplanned). and last night/ today(planned night out/lunch treat with elderly relative.
    for thursdays excess i did an extra 100 mins of squash and swimming.sorted.
    for this weekends excess. just about to do 2 x 1 hour swim sessions.net calorie weekly goals will be achieved and start a fresh week tom with a clean slate.
    cutting cals from diet alone way too harsh and not very sensible.
    g luck
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    It's not a race! Don't think of it as getting "behind".

Eat at your regular deficit, work out a little harder today if it makes you feel better, and move on! Eating at that kind of deficit is effectively punishing your body.

You need to change the way you think about this--it's supposed to be about taking *good care* of your body.
  • shireeniebeanie
    :-/ ...

I didn't realize eating lighter for a few days after a fun weekend is an eating disorder. Okay then.

900 calories is.
  • On my holiday I went over my goal and typically had no or little deficit. I treated this as just a delay in the eventual weight loss.

The previous posters reply indicating going below 1200 calories (you suggested 900 calories) would be a bad idea. This might be to the 'Starvation Mode' warning from MFP. Basically you reduce your calorie intake to a point where the deficit does not help weight lost and your body holds onto the fat and your weight loss stalls.

Just get back to normal small deficit and diet for an extra week to get to your goal.

Uh yeah a fat person does not go into starvation mode. Muscle catabolism might happen if you are a bodybuilder and have like 10% body fat or something.

It takes a LONG time to go into starvation mode not 2 days. Also you don't think because I overate by 1300 calories that my body has those calories stored to use tomorrow? :-/ Kind of funny that your body would just discard it as if it never happened. It must not know you ate it then.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member

This is a myth. The real "starvation mode" (adaptive thermogenesis) does not lead to weight loss stopping, just slowing (because you're burning less energy as your body gets cooler and stops repairing itself), and it takes a lot longer than 2 days to kick in.

OP, I don't think there's anything wrong with eating lightly for a couple days after a feast, but if you find yourself feeling really hungry or crabby, there's no reason to set 900 calories as an arbitrary limit. Personally I would just aim for 100-200 calories below my normal goal for a few days, and then go back to my normal goal. Weight loss isn't a race.
  • PlumpKitten
    PlumpKitten Posts: 112 Member
    I'd eat two meals of 400-500 calories each, like a brunch and a dinner. That's actually not particularly extreme if you fill up on lots of veggies and lean protein.

You could have a veggie omelet with wheat toast and skim milk for brunch. And then a chicken breast and salad for dinner.

No, it's not dangerous, unless you are an anorexic teen or a child - or doing this all the time. People often go on cleanses and juice fasts, etc, for a weekend, and consume far fewer calories than that.
  • Stop trying to "make up' for a bad day. The best thing you can do is get back on to the schedule. Consistency will be a far better outcome than some sort of equity in the calories you ate.
  • It's not a race! Don't think of it as getting "behind".

Eat at your regular deficit, work out a little harder today if it makes you feel better, and move on! Eating at that kind of deficit is effectively punishing your body.

You need to change the way you think about this--it's supposed to be about taking *good care* of your body.

So basically create the same deficit through exercise. How is that different from doing it through diet? Wether you eat 1500 and burn 600 o get a net of 900, or eat 900 from the beginning, it's the same thing.
  • shireeniebeanie
    No, it's not dangerous, unless you are an anorexic teen or a child - or doing this all the time. People often go on cleanses and juice fasts, etc, for a weekend, and consume far fewer calories than that.

Just because people do it doesn't make it a good idea.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Because it's a disordered way of thinking about food.
    Sounds like planning lower calories is an ORDERED way of thinking about food.

However, I would still caution that this sort of thing can easily lead to more 'cheats' - as your body starts to REALLY want more calories.

Further, if you're already at a high deficit for your situation, it may be less than idea to increase it further, leading to muscle rather than fat loss.
  • I'd eat two meals of 400-500 calories each, like a brunch and a dinner. That's actually not particularly extreme if you fill up on lots of veggies and lean protein.

You could have a veggie omelet with wheat toast and skim milk for brunch. And then a chicken breast and salad for dinner.

thanks for actually answering my question and not assuming I do this everyday like I have binge eating disorder or something. :-/
  • randomtai
    thanks for actually answering my question and not assuming I do this everyday like I have binge eating disorder or something. :-/

You are reaching and reading things that are not there...
  • thanks for actually answering my question and not assuming I do this everyday like I have binge eating disorder or something. :-/

You are reaching and reading things that are not there...

You said it's a disordered way of thinking about food. That's a pretty obvious judgement. I don't binge and restrict binge and restrict. I do this maybe once every few months. Not everyday.

Since this sounds like that, that would be the obvious disorder to judge my post by.
  • werdnek
    werdnek Posts: 35 Member
    I do get where you are coming from when you over indulge and for your piece of mind and as recognition of this you want to move it down to 900 calories for a couple of days. So go fish instead of red meat - but not on an ongoing basis because meat is packaged with iron and B vitamins. Go cucumbers, tomatoes, celery, kale, spinach, broccoli - all good healthy low calories. However, cherry tomatoes (the small ones) have more sugar so not them. Have no fruit for two days - all fruit has sugar. But only for two days, if you continue on the rush thing you will end up with sagging skin and a hollowed out sickly face. You go girl. Glad you came for advice. Sorry you got reprimanded by your "support" group. Let's step back and give the girl what she needs. Positive support..
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    I don't try to make up for going over one or two days, but if you really want to make it up, why not just reduce by 200 for 5 days? It will be the same net effect, it's easier to incorporate into your daily routine, and you won't feel deprived during or afterwards. You will not lose or gain weight based solely on those two days of eating above or below your goal; it's a long-term, on-going process. Best of luck to you.