I need help with plateau

Options
Hello again,

My name is Jana. I have gone to the gym and used myfitnesspal pal from the end of April to the middle of July and have lost twenty two pounds. Since then, I've been at a weight loss plateau for a month. I switched up to different exercise because they told me to do this when I hit a weight loss plateau. I count my calories and don't go over the required. What is wrong. I starting to feeling kind stressed and hopeless. I kind of gone back to my old eating habits which isn't good, because I feel like I'm not getting any where with my dieting.

I have changes at my work and have felt stressed lately. Any suggestions?

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    A plateau is basically when someone thinks they're eating at a deficit and are actually at maintenance. After you lost 22lbs, did you re-evaluate your calorie goal? The smaller you are, the less calories your body needs. What's you're daily calorie goal? How do you determine how many calories are in the foods you eat? (weigh, measure with cups/spoons, eyeball portion sizes?) Do you eat back exercise calories? If so, how do you figure how many calories you burn during workouts?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie intake goal? What's your current weight and how much are you trying to lose? What's your height/age/activity level?

Do you weigh your food on a digital food scale? Do you log everything, every day? Including condiments, cooking oils, beverages? How do you estimate your calories burned?
  • kwaz29
    kwaz29 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I kind of gone back to my old eating habits which isn't good, because I feel like I'm not getting any where with my dieting.

This is your problem. If you have gone back to your old way of eating then you are probably going over your calories. Stick to what worked for the first few months.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    A plateau is when you keep the same routine with food, exercise, etc. and haven't lost for about 4-6 weeks. You are eating to maintain your current weight and not to lose weight. Since it has been about 6 weeks, you need to re-evaluate your calories consumed. Make sure you are properly tracking your food and exercise calories if you eat any of those back. Switching up your exercise does nothing for you if you are overeating.
  • flissy5
    flissy5 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am in a very similar situation. Also started in April, and have been doing well, losing around 14lb. But I am about half way to my goal.

At the beginning of August I went on holiday to Italy, and I was surprisingly restrained only eating a bit more than usual, but I did drink more alcohol than normal. I think since then I've lost any weight that I might have gained, but no more.

I was aiming to eat a net or 1200 -1300 calories a day, and I am still trying to do this, but I am not losing any weight at the moment. Should I consider a net intake of less than 1200? I'm not sure I could actually eat less than 1200 without being really hungry.

My plan at the moment is to tighten up my intake by weighing everything and I think I'm going to give it another 2 weeks to see what happens.

My diary etc is public if you want to see what I am doing and if you want to be friends on here then we could support each other.
  • ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I learned that if you don't eat enough you will plateau. I've been losing steadily at 1600 a day.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    I learned that if you don't eat enough you will plateau. I've been losing steadily at 1600 a day.
    That's not how it works, but sure is a common misconception though.
  • flissy5
    Options
    I think I might have broken my plateau!!! :happy: :happy: :happy:

It just took stubborness, exercise, weighing my portions properly.

Keep going at it if you are also struggling. It took me four weeks.
  • flissy5
    Options
    I'm not sure I broke it! I thought I had. But I seem to be back where I was before and the scale isn't budging. :(

Stupid body.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Open your diary-you're more than likely eating more than you think.