Does just counting calories really work?

Options

Replies

• Greenbomb
    Greenbomb Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Yes. Studies have shown that for weight loss, cutting calories is more effective than exercise. Of course, both togehter are optimal, and you want to work out for other health benefits. But...Interesting they found that sometimes people overestimate how many calories they burn working out, and over compensate by eating too many calories.

About 5 years ago I went on a very strict diet- did Weight Watchers to the letter, cut out all alcohol. I did not work out, other than daily walks with my dog. I lost 25 pounds in three months.

My current status....I sinced gained that weight back, and am counting calories (but not as rigidly as when I was on WW) BUT I am doing bootcamp 3 days a week- classes are an hour long and very intense. I know I am healthier with the work outs, but have only lost 5 pounds in 7 weeks. I know if I cut the calories much more it would make all the difference.
  • spa407
    spa407 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It is for me. I'm down 36 lbs since May 23, 2014. All I've done is started counting calories and walking on extra mile a day. Just last week I added in a running program.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I see lots of success stories with before and after photos. Some area massive change so well done to you all.

My question is have you all lost weight just by counting calories and using myfitnesspal

I guess you must be combining this with exercise?

Or are any of you combining calorie counting along with any of those extreme exercise DVDs such as px90/insanity

Any advise will be appreciated

Salty
    The exercise allows you to eat a larger amount of food while still being in a caloric deficit. Plus it improves your health and gives you more energy to move and be happier while you're burning more calories and eating more. I've never heard a good reason to not exercise. I mean if you're just going to be a lump on the couch then why does it even matter whether you are a fat lump or a skinny lump?
  • astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It's not really about calorie counting working or not working. It's about eating less calories than you burn. It really is. Despite the whole starvation mode scare tactics, you can't make mass out of nothing. So yeah, calories in < calories out. Calorie counting tends to help people make sure that their calories in is less than their calories out.

I count calories. It has allowed me to really see how much I used to eat and take full responsibility for my being an obese child and an obese/overweight adult. Since joining MFP, I have made the most significant losses since I chose to lose weight a few months ago. Finally adding exercise has given me an even greater boost! You can certainly lose weight without exercise, but if you are physically able to exercise, it is truly worth doing.

For others, eating paleo helps them keep their calories in less than their calories out. For others, it's cutting out processed sugar. For others, it's joining a running group and doing crossfit. The methods are endless, really.

Find what gets you to take in less calories than your body needs to maintain its current weight, do it, and you will lose weight. Don't let any naysayers convince you otherwise. Weight loss is not impossible. It can be difficult, sometimes incredibly difficult, depending on the circumstances (lack of awareness when it comes to how much one is actually eating...I recommend watching "Secret Eaters" the BBC show, genuine medical issues, emotional difficulties connected to eating, etc).

The best of luck to you, and I hope you reach your weight loss goals and more!!!
  • bimmerjt9
    Options
    6 months ago I decided to eat healthily and lose weight. In 4.5 months I lost 13 lbs. I started using mfp 1.5 months ago since when I have lost about 12 lbs. I've also been exercising 3-4 days a week though it all. So yes it has greatly helped me understand what I am eating and how to limit my calorie intake. Some foods calories were very surprising to me. So for me yes!
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit will help anyone lose weight, exercise or not. If you eat at a 200 calorie deficit with no exercise you will lose weight slowly and your body image might not change much (you might become skinny fat) but you will lose.

Exercising will improve everything about your body and help you lose the weight faster as long as you are still eating at a deficit. And no, it does not have to be a crazy insane workout to get you there. Anything will help, but it has been proven that a strength conditioning program works best to lose weight and improve body composition.

Start slow keeping things simple: eat less and exercise more. Once you starting seeing the results hopefully you will get more into it and start increasing intensity and how dedicated you are to the process.

Good luck!
  • carrieann8
    carrieann8 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is great, but in my humble opinion, it isn't everything. And frankly, there is more to your diet and your life style than calories and exercise. If you count calories for doughnuts in the morning, fast food for lunch, and fried whatever for dinner, even if you are under your calories, you are sabotaging yourself.

The sugary cereals and grain carbs stays as sugar in your system and makes you crave more sugar and more carbs. Google it. It puts you into a cycle of craving things that make you gain weight! For instance, a ketchup pack may only be 6 calories but its first ingredient is high fructose corn syrup and that is what scientists use to fatten lab rats. Unpronouncable ingredients in many fat free and low fat foods are just plain scary.

Yes, I count calories. I also eat real food. Most of the food that comes into my house doesn't have a label. But it isn't as simple as calories in and calories out. I also know that 200 calories of lean chicken or pork is better for me than 200 calories of chips and candy. I've taken time to get to know my body. I am lactose intolerant and avoid dairy because it hurts. I also know that too many grains makes my body swell and its just not pleasant. I know protein and fruit in the morning gives me the energy I need to get through my morning at work. I know a light lunch like veggies, fruit, and lunch meat keeps me from getting the afternoon sleepies and an afternoon snack of cashews or chicken helps when I'm getting the 3:00 munchies before dinner. So, no, its not just calories in and calories out.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Naw it's all bs, the only way to lose weight is to drink 200litres of water whenever you're hungry, and have a cube of cheese for breakfast
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I lost the first 30 lbs of my 40 pounds dropped JUST by eating at a calorie deficit. Then I dropped the last ten after I joined my gym and started lifting heavy weights.
  • salty134
    salty134 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advise. I'm going to give it a go. Start by counting calories then maybe add some running.

I have counted calories,before and lost some weight, but fell of the wagon when I stopped,losing the weight.

Let's see if I can stick to it this time...........
  • alice_schmalice
    alice_schmalice Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I exercise for better health. It also saves lives since it my stress outlet. (I want my children to live)

Losing weight is a big mental game for me. I eat for reasons other than hunger - usually to soothe some negative emotion or mood state. So exercise helps because it makes me feel better and I don't eat crap all the time.
  • Clubstav
    Clubstav Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is where you start. Even doing the exercise has to do with calorie counting since you are spending more and can adjust your meals accordingly. The ideal scene is doing both the calorie counting and exercise together. Would hate the idea of calorie counting without exercise but if you have to choose ONE of them then guess counting calories more likely to have you lose weight cause what to do with exercise if you are going to eat a pepperoni pizza and a bottle of coke before going to bed. Go for both
  • hriley4138
    Options
    Hi. I have read from several sources that weight loss is "80 percent diet and 20 percent exercise." I got this from huffintonpost.com. I do lose weight just by watching my calories. I had no choice because I injured my ankle and could not exercise after operation. Now, I'm able to ride a bike or walk 20mins here and there. Exercise speeds up the weight loss and can help stave off hunger. It's a good habit to move a little everyday, but you don't need to in order to lose weight. Just stick to the calories you are supposed to have in order to lose weight. Good luck!
  • ianthy
    ianthy Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Hi

Calories in and calories out plus exercise. Everyone is different and I know that my body responds well to cardio and some weight training for toning. Plus eating healthy and not depriving yourself of the things but staying within your calorie allowance and plenty of water too. Finally you need a big dose of patience as weight loss takes time.
  • lenzylamb
    lenzylamb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started counting calories in Feb after I saw a picture of myself from a vacation to Peru.....My goal is 1200 calories and 90% of the time I do not go over!! I also work out 5-6 days a week..mainly cardio, although once I get to my goal weight (24lbs to go!) I will start adding weights to tone up and build muscle!
  • melissamarie2196
    melissamarie2196 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I really hope this does work for me...Its going on my second week and Iam starting slowly, Ive been worrying because I havent really got to exercise much with my busy work hrs, but like someone eles posted Iam going to just make time at least for some walks, since I love being out doors.. Iam hopeing when and if I see the scale start to go down Ill be more excited to start exerciseing inside...Just want to say you all look great and you should be proud...:)
  • lillietoo
    lillietoo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    For me, keeping track of my calories helps me to lose weight because I am aware of everything I eat. Being aware of my food intake provides a visual presentation of my food habits (for good or bad). So yes, I do think just counting calories can be enough.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I just count calories. I add no exercise. I stick pretty close to my goals most days and I occasionally enjoy more food than my goal "allows." If you eat less than your body needs, you will lose weight regardless of the foods you eat, the time you eat them, how many hours of sleep you get each night, or the altitude you live in. I do make sure I get a good amount of protein to help me reserve more muscle as I lose weight, but even if I was eating nothing but carbohydrates, I would still be losing the same amount of weight if I was eating the same number of calories.
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    a little over a year ago, i lost about 20 lbs by eating a a deficit (calorie counting, yes) and also starting an exercise regimen at the same time. unfortunately, i abandoned both (despite my success both in weight loss and physically feeling a whole lot better) and regained all the weight and then some. a couple months ago i rejoined mfp and started counting calories again. i've already lost 20 lbs, so definitely working so far. but i will say that this time, i have not started any exercise and while i'm super happy with my weight loss so far, i miss the improvement i both saw and felt by also working in physical activity... so now that my changes in eating are becoming more of a habit, i'm definitely preparing to incorporate physical activity for the other benefits besides the basic concept of eating less than you burn.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Counting calories kind of gives me a cut off point. Like when I go for some cookies, I know that three is better than six. And at the end of the day I don't go rummaging around in the kitchen to eat again if I'm at my cut off.:drinker:
    So you're logging forever? Lots of folks say they plan to.
    There's no way I could. But good for you for finding what works.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!