Difference between celery and celeriac?

Options
Celeriac is 42 calories per 100g. Such a huge freaking difference. Celery is like, way less than that.
WHY? Isn't it the same damn thing?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Celeriac is 42 calories per 100g. Such a huge freaking difference. Celery is like, way less than that.
    Because they are different vegetables
  • n3ver3nder
    n3ver3nder Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Celeriac is a root vegetable. It's a bit like a celery flavoured potato. Bloody horrible, but then again I don't like celery either.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yes, celeriac is the root part of the plant it's from, which tend to have somewhat more calories than other kinds of vegetables. It's like a celery-flavored turnip. I like it, but I like both celery and root vegetables.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Because they are different vegetables

This ^^^^^^^^

No it is not the same thing, may have similar flavour but it certainly is not the same thing
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    this is celery:
    celery_442368c.jpg
    We eat the bit that grows above the ground

this is celeriac:
    celeriac.png
    we eat the bit that grows beneath the ground

They have a similar flavour and are members of the same family of plants but you can cook celeriac pretty much any way that you'd cook potatoes.

Hope this helps.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    obviously it's not the same thing. :smile:

I've never heard of celeriac. Will have to look it up.
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Celeriac adds a wonderful depth of flavor to oxtail soup. Just peel it, chop it up, and throw it in with the onions and carrots.
  • Lottiotta
    Lottiotta Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Celeriac is also good grated in salads. It's nice raw, but in little bits, y'know?

Ugh, I love celeriac.
  • devushkazima
    devushkazima Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I'm this ignorant. I really had no idea these 2 were two different things which is so not likely for me because I know my veggies.

I have to apologize...
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I'm this ignorant. I really had no idea these 2 were two different things which is so not likely for me because I know my veggies.

I have to apologize...

No you don't - I learn new things all the time; no-one knows everything!
    :smile:
  • Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    Options
    G O O G L E ! :-)