Kidney Stones

Options
hop3
hop3 Posts: 61 Member
I was having a talk today with my mom about several tings that I have noticed since I have started working out and losing weight. One of them being, Kidney Stones. I have had about 5 Kidney stones in the last 6 months. I had 2 at a time(one on each side) in June, one is September, one Jan 3rd and another Jan 18th. I am getting in to see my PCP but I was just wondering if this make sense to anyone? Would exercising cause this?

Replies

• wyld4eva
    wyld4eva Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have had a bunch of kidney stone "episodes"....gggrrrrrr I hate them. my only advise is go to a urologist have a 24 hour urinalysis and have your parathyroid checked.....(this is different from your thyroid) those two things can give you alot of answers
  • schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I know losing weight can cause gallstones but I've never heard about kidney stones. The only thing I've heard of "causing" kidney stones is high calcium intake. Some of the urologists I used to work with recommended drinking a lot of cranberry juice and lemonade (for acid) and avoiding milk and dairy.
  • jrhodges20
    jrhodges20 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    No. exercise does not cause this, I had some for the first time about a year ago, and omg they were the most painful thing... the worst part about them was that most got passed while I was at work on a graveyard shift alone. I thought I was gonna die the next morning. When i went to the Dr. he told me they though that too much calcium had something to do with it. I have since cut back on calcium, including less milk, which was hard. I would definently go see your dr, they can ecxplain it better
  • peggybrant
    peggybrant Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine it's the exercising. However something is wrong so I'm glad your going to your doctor.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    You may have stones in the kidneys and the exercise could move them out~BIL went on a Disney ride that shook him around~had a stone move that night...so the best bet is to have an ultrasound or CT to check for larger stones. Also an urinalysis to check for crystals to see what type of stones they are, so you can cout down on foods that may aggravate your condition.
    Good luck!
  • loria30
    loria30 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain...I had my first episode 3 years ago while pregnant, 2nd episode was 5 weeks after giving birth, and my 3rd will be 2 weeks ago on Tuesday.

I doubt it is exercising. But as suggested above, use lemons in your water (powered lemonade doesn't work) and talk to a urologist. they will do the 24 hour test to see what type they are and give you a diet based on that.

Good luck!
  • trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Could it be what you're eating? Have you changed your diet? If I eat too much spinach, or too many nuts over a period of time, I get kidney stones.

Keep drinking that water!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Actually, weight loss can be a part of the problem, if you are losing muscle and not fat. Excessive consumption of protein can also be a cause. A lot of people think excess intake of calcium can be a problem, but even if you don't consume calcium, it can be pulled from your bones to provide the necessary chemical stimulus for muscle contraction. If that calcium is leached from your bones and placed in the muscle and then has to be removed from the muscle for whatever reason, theres the calcium for your kidney stones even without any more calcium intake, not to mention the loss of calcium meaning a greater risk of osteoporosis. Excess Vitamin C has also been shown to play a part in kidney stone formation. I'd recommend seeing your doctor and having all your levels checked.
  • MrX8503
    MrX8503 Posts: 67
    Options
    Soda drinks are rich in calcium oxalates, which could turn into kidney stones. How much soda are you consuming?