Constipated?

Options
Hey guys,

Maybe a very odd first post, but I just have to ask this. Surely some of you have had the same problem.
I'm not trying to lose weight as I'm already borderline underweight, but I am watching what I'm eating as I'm trying to stay lean. In order to do so, I eat on average 1600 kcal per day. I have been doing this for months already.

Now, the odd question. For months I have been fine. I went to the toilet (yarp, number two) two or three times a day. It was like clockwork that I had to go after my breakfast in the morning. But the past week it suddenly changed. I now go every other day. In the evening my stomach feels bloated, is rumbly, and sorry for TMI, but also gassy. Something is clearly up. I also noticed my weight going up.

Clearly some constipation is going on, but the thing is, I have no idea why. I did not change my diet, my exercise, or my water in take. Speaking of the latter, I drink a lot of water. I eat a lot of vegetables and get plenty of fibers. So....what could be possibly wrong? Why did it suddenly change? Any insight will be welcome. Also any tips on how to get things....well, moving again will be welcome.

Sorry again for a most unusual first post!

Replies

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1200, and this is a problem I have, too. If I go off my diet and eat more fatty foods, I don't tend to have that problem. I always say my system works in "reverse." The more fiber and healthy food I have, the less often I go. If I eat a bacon cheese burger and fries, then I have no problems. My husband says my system is "abnormal" and I need a cleanse. However, some say constipation with diet may mean either you need to add some healthy fats to your diet, or you are just eating less and eating foods that are processed more efficiently -- so you have less to get rid of.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Op, since we can't see your diary, give foods like broccoli a try I swear does wonders and other such veggies. Rosebette try adding more water to your diet or just liquids in general excess fiber without enough fluids does the same thing as not enough fiber.
  • HappilySingle
    HappilySingle Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Since you are not concerned about loosing weight I suggest 2 tablespoons of corn syrup. Works wonders (but about 230 calories)
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Metamucil is a miracle cure for me. Not harsh and I even like the taste.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    When I feel a bit "backed up" I usually eat a few handfuls of almonds. The fat and fiber usually gets things moving by the next day, Oh, also raw carrots.

You said you haven't changed your eating. Have you recently started a new medication or supplement? Some of those can back you up too.
  • MrXeno
    MrXeno Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies so far!
    In order to answer the questions: I have eaten brocoli, and raw carrots. Plenty of vegetables, actually. That can not be the issue. I also eat plenty of fruits, at least 3 or 4 a day.
    Maybe fat is the problem. I may have to increase it, not sure. It's not like I go completely without. And I have not changed my diet in months, so it puzzles me why it would suddenly cause problems now.

I also have not changed my supplements, nor am I taking any medications. It's a mystery alright. An annoying one.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    If you truly haven't changed your diet then any sudden change in bowel movements merit a visit to your doctor.
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    If you find you do need more fat in your diet, do some research on coconut oil. I enjoy it spread on a piece of high fiber cinnamon raisin bread. It's quite a treat!
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue - no matter how well I eat, plenty of fibre, tons of veges etc, every few months I get the same issue. Magnesium is the answer. I spoke to a who herblist who recommended Magnesium citrate but just for a few weeks to get it sorted. I also take 1 tablespoon of crushed flaxseed each day which helps also.