HRM Chest straps and fat girls!

Options
One of the many "joys" of being a chubby chica is have to worry about what will fit! So my question is simple. For those of you who have a HRM that utilizes a chest strap...how big does the strap go? Do they usually come with (or can you order) a strap lengthener?

I'd hate to buy a HRM just to find out I can't get it round!!

Also, for the non-chest HRMs, do they just measure your heart rate from your wrist or do you have to hold something in your hand or place your fingers on it?

Replies

• Sarean
    Sarean Posts: 77
    Options
    I've been wondering the same things, thanks for bringing it up.
  • xxquzme
    xxquzme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    They get pretty big. I am a big guy and they fit me with plenty of room. I have the polar f4. I personally woudnt buy one without the strap. Cant be very accurate.
  • bubbaduts
    bubbaduts Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    don't buy a hrm without a chest strap they don't work nearly that well I weighed 252 pounds when i started and the band is made out of elastic and it was not tight at all it could go another 8 inches at least without even stretching the elastic. I love my hrm monitor! Hope i helped :)
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I don't even wear the strap, I tuck the band under my sports bra-so long as the contact points are on skin, and it stays pretty snug there. I don't know about the wrist ones, but I know the chest strap is more accurate.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    You can purchase HRM's with various size chest straps. Be sure to make the selection (bought online) or check the box (bought in person).

If the size ends up being too small, you may be able to exchange it, or buy a larger/smaller one online.
  • cracky
    cracky Posts: 15
    Options
    The polar ones come in sizes too... XL/ L /M etc... or similar to that. I'm a pretty average size and can get the strap to wrap around me twice... it is very forgiving and elastic and adjustable. I thought it would be very uncomfortable under sports bras but it isn't...
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    One of the many "joys" of being a chubby chica is have to worry about what will fit! So my question is simple. For those of you who have a HRM that utilizes a chest strap...how big does the strap go? Do they usually come with (or can you order) a strap lengthener?

I'd hate to buy a HRM just to find out I can't get it round!!

Also, for the non-chest HRMs, do they just measure your heart rate from your wrist or do you have to hold something in your hand or place your fingers on it?

The one on wrist just goes off of your pulse from what I can see. As far as going around you on the chest strap, I've seen some pretty big dudes with them on I don't think you would have to worry ---- you can always email Polar or Garmin. That Bowflex wrist HRM I think it's guaranteed to work.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I also have a polar f4 it's adjustable and elasticy someone much larger then me could wear it for sure and I'm not tiny lol
  • schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    At a 40 inch chest measurement (under the breasts) I was about halfway extended on my chest belt, but I wear mine fairly loosely. Looking at your picture, I wouldn't expect it to be a problem at all. Mine is elastic, so even if it was a little uncomfortable, I would expect it to fit almost everyone.
  • KAK68
    KAK68 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have the polar f4 also and it fits great- plenty of room left-
  • peggybrant
    peggybrant Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i just got a hrm and the strap will reach 37". However,don't forget you can use velcro and lengthen it yourself. Ihave a polar FT4 and love it. Highly suggest everyone use one
  • yacker678
    Options
    I got one for Christmas and I was worried it wouldn't fit me then, but I was wrong. It fit me fine and was comfortable. They are very stretchy and so worth having.
  • fancyladymeek
    Options
    Thanks! Thats the other thing I was wondering about was accuracy, which is the entire reason I wanted to get one!
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    While clearly not an expert in the area of sports bras, while shopping for my Polar, I did notice that there is a sports bra that has the HRM sensors built in. I think it is made by polar as an accessory.

I really like my polar and the chest strap really isn't noticable after I put it on. I definitely think you should try it. When I ordered my HRM online, one of the choices that I had was the size of the strap. I think there were three choices so I don't think you should have any trouble.

Best of luck!!!

--Carter
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I've talked myself out of it a number of times but having had a stressful day that is helped by eating and/or shopping - I've reserved an FT4 and am going to go and get it in a minute.
    Thanks for the posts about them.
    A
  • dhutt2011
    dhutt2011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have one and it has a stretchy band (Polar FT7). Like someone else stated if you wear a sports bra you can just tuck the sensors under that and forget the strap if you want. I wear a 2X in shirts and the strap works just fine for me.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I don't even wear the strap, I tuck the band under my sports bra-so long as the contact points are on skin, and it stays pretty snug there. I don't know about the wrist ones, but I know the chest strap is more accurate.

Totally didn't even think about this! Such a good idea. I wear an Enell bra that is snug so for sure it will stay in place and I don't have to deal with the strap. Clever girl! :happy:
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I've got one!
    Will let you all know how I get on.
    The strap looks very comfortable. Much better than the old type that were ridgid.
    A