Too many calories at night stop weightloss?!

Options
So, my weight didn't change the last 2 weeks, and usually, I'd have lost like 4-5 pounds. Now, I noticed that I eat too less calories during the day..and too many at night ( In order to eat all the calories I have, otherwise I'd eat too small ) . Could this be the cause for not losing weight recently?

Thanks in advance,
Sarah

Replies

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    it doesn't matter when one eats - just how many calories total. did you log all your calories for the past 2 weeks including your day and nighttime calories?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you should have lost 4-5 lbs?

Weight loss varies from week to week, including due to hormonal things (mine has a monthly pattern usually, but it's not the same person to person), and often a big loss week or two is followed by a lower loss week or two, even if everything seems to be about the same.

Anyway, for me it makes no difference when I eat unless when I eat means I eat too many calories.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    The only two things it might be:

1) You're eating over maintenance calories
    2) If you're weighing yourself in the morning after a huge meal right before bed you're literally weighing the food, excrement, water retention...
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

2) If you're weighing yourself in the morning after a huge meal right before bed you're literally weighing the food, excrement, water retention...

This ^^^^^

Also why are you looking to lose 4 - 5 lbs per week with only 37 lbs left to go? You would need a daily deficit of 2,500 calories to lose at 5 lbs per day, not only is that difficult to achieve, trying is not particularly healthy either

If you open up your diary people might be able to offer more advice
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Unless you're eating way over your maintenance calories, no.
  • sabaraba
    sabaraba Posts: 42
    Options
    Well, I surely didn't eat at maintainance..in this 2 weeks I always had a calorie deficit of 500..so this can't be the reason. ( I log everything with a food scale ).
    *sigh*
    Well, maybe it's just temporary and I'll lose soon again :)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Meal frequency has no bearing on weight loss....... Eat to get your calories in for each day regardless of timing..... best of luck
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Weigh loss isn't linear...and if you're relatively new, initial losses can be more...most people don't lose 4-5 Lbs every week or two on any kind of consistent basis...a lot of that early weight loss is water and waste.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    A lot of people swear by not eating at night. If you think it's for you, don't eat at night!

It won't hurt anything to eat earlier. See how it goes. You can switch things up whenever you want!

Everyone has to walk their own path.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I almost always eat a late dinner. That's just how it works out with my schedule. Like mentioned before, it's all calories in vs. calories out. Doesn't matter when you eat it. If your weight loss has stalled it's most likely due to too many calories consumed.
  • dizzysmile
    dizzysmile Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Yep.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    So, my weight didn't change the last 2 weeks, and usually, I'd have lost like 4-5 pounds. Now, I noticed that I eat too less calories during the day..and too many at night ( In order to eat all the calories I have, otherwise I'd eat too small ) . Could this be the cause for not losing weight recently?

Thanks in advance,
    Sarah

I regularly have spans of time that I don't lose. Then I'll drop a chunk, then I might lose a little at a time, then another "stall." That's just how weight loss works. If you're positive that you're at a deficit then there's nothing to do but be patient. I eat to lose 1.5 pounds per week and even though I don't lose that every week, I average about that.
  • clubcpg
    clubcpg Posts: 4
    Options

This ^^^^^

Also why are you looking to lose 4 - 5 lbs per week with only 37 lbs left to go? You would need a daily deficit of 2,500 calories to lose at 5 lbs per day, not only is that difficult to achieve, trying is not particularly healthy either

That's not what the OP posted. She/he posted "So, my weight didn't change the last 2 weeks, and usually, I'd have lost like 4-5 pounds."

So they are looking to lose 2 to 2.5 lbs a week .
  • TMM211073
    TMM211073 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Calories can't tell the time....

Maybe you're eating too many calories in general, regardless of the time of day or night.

Try re-evaluating your calorie goals & hopefully it will get your weight moving, but 4-5lb a week is a bit ambitious to expect every week.

xXx
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Nope. Your stomach cannot tell time. Eat whenever you get hungry, the time doesn't matter.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Your stomach cannot tell time.

Yes, it can. There is a circadian cycle to metabolism.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    No.
  • sabaraba
    Options
    Calories can't tell the time....

Maybe you're eating too many calories in general, regardless of the time of day or night.

Try re-evaluating your calorie goals & hopefully it will get your weight moving, but 4-5lb a week is a bit ambitious to expect every week.

xXx

not every week, every 2! :)
  • sabaraba
    Options

This ^^^^^

That's not what the OP posted. She/he posted "So, my weight didn't change the last 2 weeks, and usually, I'd have lost like 4-5 pounds."

So they are looking to lose 2 to 2.5 lbs a week .

right, every 2 weeks! :) Thanks anyway :)