Strength training calories

Options
I am new to mfp. Can someone tell me why the strength training I have added to the exercise section shows no calories burned?

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Add it in cardio and you'll get a burn for it :)
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Add it in cardio and you'll get a burn for it :)
  • cheekyleonie
    cheekyleonie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Because you shouldn't really be counting the calories for it.
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    There are too many factors that can affect how much you burn while strength training. Some people argue that it doesn't burn very many calories at all and don't log it.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options

Depends
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    If you really want to count calories for it, get a Heart Rate Monitor. Use it for everything. MFP overestimates how many calories burned for exercises so if you eat back those calories you end up over eating.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    If you really want to count calories for it, get a Heart Rate Monitor. Use it for everything. MFP overestimates how many calories burned for exercises so if you eat back those calories you end up over eating.

Heart rate monitors can give you a decent calorie estimate for steady state cardio. Strength training is the opposite of that.
  • lilmiss_sunshine29
    Options

because?
  • lilmiss_sunshine29
    Options

Heart rate monitors can give you a decent calorie estimate for steady state cardio. Strength training is the opposite of that.

i may be naive but the objective of a HRM is to track your heart rate = calories burnt.
    If you're doing any form of exercise given your heart will be working more than when you're resting.... you'll get calories burnt from strength training too won't you?
  • Meloniey
    Meloniey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...last time I checked lifting burned calories, and continued to burn calories long after, like 4+ hours, after lifting....please explain to me why you shouldn't count lifting calories burned? There's a lot of factors that play into how many calories cardio burns too...like incline, hills, resistance etc...
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I always log what I burn with weight lifting. because its not always the same. it all depends on how hard Im working and how fast/slow Im lifting weights. you can build up your heart rate a good bit and burn fat and calories just by weightlifting. so I dont see why it shouldnt be counted either.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    A session of squats or deadlifts is going to burn more than doing triceps extensions. Right? So it really does depend on the workout you are doing.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

i may be naive but the objective of a HRM is to track your heart rate = calories burnt.
    If you're doing any form of exercise given your heart will be working more than when you're resting.... you'll get calories burnt from strength training too won't you?

The issue is not that you don't burn calories with strength training--you can burn a decent amount. It's just that there is no consistently accurate way to do do. And HRMs are useless for estimating calories burned during strength training. The HR increase that occurs during strength training is not the same as the increase w/cardio.

There are a number of conditions/exercises where increased HR does not mean an increase in calories burned, which is why HRMs have such limited accuracy.
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    This thread is the reason I decided to use the TDEE method