Ladies, how do you control monthly cycle cravings?

Options
Hi ladies (and brave gentlemen who clicked on this topic),

I'm a generally able to control my eating habits very well, since I started going on IF and low carb. However, around the time of my monthly cycle, my cravings for sweets and junk get ridiculously out of control. I usually end up cheating, but it drives me nuts. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, how do you help it?

Replies

• StenSrm
    StenSrm Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Drinking green tea might help, also you must know it's your brain shouting for sweets. So just take a second and breath in and out. It should go away with 15 minutes. I wonder how many carbs do you have for one day? If you can't help it, you could also have one day, which in you have something good so you wouldn't have to think, that you must we without sweets or whatever you prefer all your life :) In the end it's all good if it fits your macros.
  • lemonsurprise
    lemonsurprise Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I give in! I'll make sure I have saved up calories the day before I'm due (when I'm at my worst) and I'll get the thickest, richest chocolate bar going! Because I've cut out chocolate, afterwards I feel sick, but satisfied too! And don't crave anything else.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Plan some sweets in ahead of time on those days.

Nothing wrong with it...you can have it and still be in a deficit.
  • crsawinton
    crsawinton Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I still eat more than normal for the couple days leading up to it, I don't go crazy but I definitely don't restrain myself as well. If you're craving something just eat it, and try to stick to a portion or two lol.
  • odywithaj
    odywithaj Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I plan accordingly around those days to allow really dark choc. (80% or higher) and mint together.. just a little. The dark choc and mint for some reason satisfies my sweet tooth cravings.
  • TheRealNoodlette
    TheRealNoodlette Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I feel like it's a salt craving, or protein, so I try one of those things first (or double it up with a jerky snack). A piece of fruit, a handful of almonds, some greek yogurt with honey or jam, some pickles, those are positive choices. Also, a piece of chocolate isn't going to kill you, but if you keep going and eat the whole package, maybe try not to have that stuff in the house :-) You could try something like chocolate covered almonds, so at least you're getting some protein... I also would recommend exercise in the few days before Day One so you can relieve any PMS related anxiety that may be manifesting itself as sweets cravings. I don't know. Some months are worse than others and it is impossible to predict. Good luck!
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I usually give in too. I am so glad you posted this because my appetite is so drastically different at that time of the month. The only thing I try to do is have richer more satisfying snacks-- just a little dark chocolate is so satisfying. I have heard too that you should try to limit sodium intake but, I haven't made any effort in this regard. It may be tempting to not log (especially if it is a binge) but, last pms I logged and was surprised to see that my eating wasn't quite as bad as I thought---- it is always helpful to make sure you log everything to keep yourself accountable. When my period is over I get back to the deficit calories.
  • in_therain
    in_therain Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Licorice peppermint tea usually helps me - sweet w/o sugar and the mint cleanses the palate.
  • babbyb1
    babbyb1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Don't fight with it. Work with it. You know when you are due and what usually sends you off the deep end.
    For me, it is sweets, coupled with a salt craving. So I keep chocolate covered almonds in the house around that time. I also keep a small package of miniature pretzel twists. This provides for sweet and salty cravings.

I also try to accommodate for the cravings by eating things that fit the bill. An example of this is a fruit smoothie....helps with my sweet craving. Cooked fish with capers and herbs on it helps with the salt craving while also providing for a necessary protein source.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat leafy greens leading up to it and during.
    Also foods high in potassium: dried apricots, avocados, mushrooms, sweet potatoes, asparagus.
    Drink water.
    Get enough sleep and go for walks (type of meditation sometimes.)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't even fight it. I'll eat double for a few day, then after I eat almost nothing, so it balances out.

It's not just "any old carb will do!" - I need pasta or bread. It's so weird. But I am trying to trust my body, so that's what I do.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I always get more hungry right before I start and first day so I stared planning to eat more calories for those days and plan in portioned out snackies and eat every three hours. I started this months ago and now its just part of my journey. I don't stress out about it at all and end up staying on track a lot easier. If you cant beat it then join it is what I say so that's how I look at pms hungries. It will pass soon.
  • let1179
    let1179 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    So glad you posted this. I am struggling right now! I know it's a mind game with myself, but I give in so easily. For me these cravings start a week in advance. Not only do I crave fatty foods, but I am a bottomless pit too! Any tips are greatly appreciated as I need to start taking control of this monthly downfall.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I would stock up on healthy snacks!!!

Try and eat lots of protein & plenty of water to flush it out!!

If you can work out during your TOM ... Great.... You feel so much better too after a workout.

Stay away from the scales as its water weight...

I would just try & pick healthy options...

^^^^^ All my great advice... But when a girl on her TOM craves salt & chocolate... It has to be done lol!!!

MEN - Don't judge us once a month... Or touch us... Lol!!!
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I don't fight it. I land face first in the pantry and don't come out until I've made a sizeable dent.
  • rubbersoul84
    rubbersoul84 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I crave salt and chocolate. 100 calorie chocolate covered pretzel packs usually do the trick. I keep a box of Junior Mints and a bag of Boom Chicka Pop sea salt popcorn at work. Usually just a few bites satisfies the craving without blowing my calories for the day.
    Other good salty snack alternatives are Special K cracker chips and Snikiddy cheese puffs. I portion them out and toss the big bag so I don't mindlessly snack.
  • JtKeil
    JtKeil Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I plan to have chocolate which is my main craving during PMS. Usually a hot chocolate (a low cal one like options or highlights), small bar of chocolate, or some nesquik will do the trick. I haven't tried ignoring/suppressing the cravings...chocolate makes me happy :happy:
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Then eat your cravings?

Fat loss = eating at a deficit. You can eat at a deficit by eating donuts.

Chances are you're not going to have as easy of a time maintaining your weight once you reach your goal unless you continue restricting foods as you are now.

Moral of the story: Food is a lifestyle. Lose fat by eating your lifestyle at a deficit from caloric needs, not from a fad elimination diet.
  • jessalts
    jessalts Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Personally, I am just soooo hungry on the day before, day 1&2... on those particular day I just plan stay under maintenance. I find that by allowing myself this wiggle room means I actually eat less over all. Weird right? Anyway, 2-3 days a month is not going to ruin everything :)